2013 Area Test pieces rumours.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Adamskied, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Are you sure? there's usually a reliable 'leak' well before then...
  2. simonium

simonium Member

There's a member of the music panel who in times past has been indiscreet in who he has talked to. The great thing is, he's indiscreet every year to the same person! Announce the pieces on January 1st I say.
  3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

How about after the third week in March, just after the last area takes place :tongue:
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I've heard the top section piece will be an Avant Garde piece, where the new arrangement of the National Anthem is played, then reinterpreted constantly until the adjudicator says uncle. (Members of the Royal Household will not be allowed to adjudicate.) Bands playing number one in the opening section on the day(s) of the Regioanl Qualifying Competitions can play number 37 in the hymn book instead.
  5. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Any more crack on possible pieces?

Rumour has it 4th section is likely to be another oldie....just as long as its not Indian Summer! :-D
  6. If Harmony Music is presumably the test piece (stupidly hard) lets get some class music for future areas! Music of the Spheres, St Magnus, Sketches from Nowhere!!!
  7. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I'm sure it'll probably be something related to a specific area of the country!
  8. Third section must be due an older piece after 2 successive fairly new pieces? Another new one would be good though.
  9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Ask Anno Draconis if he is writing another one ;)

BTW I have no prior knoweldge of whether he is or isn't, but you never know!
  10. simonium

simonium Member

It will interesting to see if the incompetent coffin-dodgers of The Music Panel feel the bar needs to be reset again after Resurgam and Cross Patonce.
  11. Oodle Bugler

Oodle Bugler Member

It's a little bit rude Simon to call them "incompetent coffin dodgers"!

We are the only musical art form that has this over-riding fixation for competing against each other. The result of that is that some people have to sit down in a room and chuck a test piece at us.

Whether you love or hate the piece they set, the idea is a simple one. Rehearse it and play it better than any other band on the day.
  12. simonium

simonium Member

My personal preferences for the pieces has nothing to do with it.

As for incompetent, I don't think selecting Tam O' Shanter and Entertainments for the third section, Henry V for the fourth Section finals, Portrait Of A City for the second section finals, Resurgam and Cross Patonce for second section area pieces, Pentacle (or whatever it's called) for the first section, a persistent selection of ancient Frank Wright arrangements (which i love incidentally)for the first section, and for championship section demonstrates overwhelming brilliance in the art of selecting suitable pieces for certain sections. I could probably think of lots of other examples with more time.

I played in the third section for Tam O' Shanter and Entertainments and section section for Resurgam, Portrait Of A City and Cross Patonce and love them all aside from Portrait which is a very poor piece.

In my considered opinion they get something badly wrong every year at both the areas and the finals. The top section is rarely wrong as the venerable puffins who make up the panel have all of their experience in the top section. It is the other sections they do not understand and consequently get wrong. And if they are all youthful, fresh-faced young things, I will retract my comment about coffin-dodgers, and happily.
  13. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

Have to agree with a lot of that!! In the lower sections there seems to be little point in picking music that is far too difficult for the majority of bands. Yes we all like a challenge but surely it has to be attainable by a reasonable number of competitors. Adjudicators have a tough enough job without having to decipher who was less bad in which section etc.. A more informed choice (on occasions) would be welcome. I can add A Little Light Music to the list as well.
  14. Weren't Paul Holland and Gareth Ritter appointed to the music panel this year?
  15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

fair points about some of the pieces but you're overlooking one very important factor that means noone is ever going to get it 100% right - there are as many different opinions about suitability and 'niceness' of each test piece as there are banders playing them. Fwiw, I really liked Pentacle and thought it was a great choice for 1st section, but I think some of the recent top section choices have been pants...

but you're happy to let that comment stand, along with "venerable puffins" and the assumption that they only know about the top section, when you apparently don't even know who the people you're insulting are? Lovely.
  16. ghost

ghost Member

choosing pieces is a tough job. There is a balance between setting a piece which is playable by all bands in that section and testing the very best in the section enough to provide a reasonable indication of which bands are ready to go up. Conversely it needs to also indicate fairly which band is truly struggling in that section. At the same time, there has to be regard to the differential between sections so that bands that go up are worthy to go up and stand a chance of staying up whilst tackling harder pieces. Lets face it, bands being promoted from the second section in 2012 will have to face bands which are relegated from the Championship - and they are coming down after tackling Devil and the DBS. So, I think Cross Patonce is a realistic choice of piece for the second. (I would agree that the first section piece was nowhere near half way between these two pieces - and it ought to have been).

I also think it is easy for the bystander/participant to criticise after they have seen and tried the pieces. However, I can remember hearing complaints about Prague when that was chosen about 10 years ago. Then as time went on, more and more bands started to see the subtlety and enjoyed it - and frankly those who didnt were probably not doing justice to it.

As for the Frank Wright arrangements - well I heard the finals last year and whilst there were many moans about 'digging up the old chestnuts', in truth, few bands reallly got to grips with it and did it justice! So, a good test and the winners were real worthy winners (IMHO).

Perhaps, this site should run a pole to gather proposals and then have a vote and see what that brings out. Then, those proposers and voters should come up with fresh ideas for every contest and see how long it is before they get stuck and before other readers start to complain!

I would argue that there should be a proper structure for commissioning lots of tests. The pieces for Championship over the last 20 years have generally been superb. The movement needs a similar approach for the other sections in order to prepare bands for the top level. Funding would be an issue, but well worth it in the long run.
  17. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Firstly, yes, I agree that Simon's being a bit rude for no great purpose.
    Secondly, there have also been some real clangers set for the championship section in the last 10 years. 'Festival Music' is probably the one that did the least successful job of sorting all the bands out, considered across the sections across the country. 'Rienzi' and 'Salute to Youth' run it close though.

The music panel have always been experienced and widely respected bandspeople, from which I deduce that it isn't as easy a job as people think to set pieces that sit at an ideal level. That said though, some of the choices do look very strange - I am sincerely hoping that karma is due to deliver something more challenging than 'Mountain Views' for 1st section this year.
  18. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

How did the mentioned pieces not 'sort the bands out'? Are you implying that Festival Music, Rienzi and Salute to Youth were not difficult enough?
  19. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Basically. The level of technical challenge was not sustained enough with the result that smaller imperfections were penalised more heavily than usual and the whims of particular adjudicators' style preferences took on far too large an importance. As happens in such a situation, the named pieces produced a handful of controversial results at the tops of the tables, but a whole hatful further down the tables. They only caused small problems with the placings, but big problems with the gradings.

Of course I recall as well as you do that there were a number of dodgy performances of each piece on the day, despite their lack of technical fearsomeness.
  20. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Mountain Views sounded more than challenging enough for the bands I heard in Stevenage. Other than the winners of course Mr Laserbeam (!)

I heard performances that sounded more like the bands were mountin' ewes! At least how I imagine that might sound, having no personal experience.