2013 Area Test pieces rumours.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Adamskied, Jun 2, 2012.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

Well said.
    I drool over Tchaiks symphonies, they are so wonderfully emotional, but of course, that is only my personal opinion, which though others may not agree does not make me a lesser person musically. I may not care for other folks taste in music, but I don't consider that their taste is inferior to mine, just different.

~ Mr Wilx

2. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

what are our 4 percussionists going to do with so little to hit in the 4th section piece?.........

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Organise a trade with a local 3rd section band?

4. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Better consistency would seem to be a large part of the answer to the question (as you imply) - consistency both of selection of pieces in terms of the requirements that are demanded, and in the adjudication of them at the other end of the process.

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you there, but I'm a bit unsure as to whether we, or rather 'they' should discount otherwise suitable pieces just because it might have lots - or little - to do for the tappers. Isn't it just the same as having a really busy solo cornet part, or nothing in it for the trombones?

6. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

For my tw'penneth worth, best set of area test pieces I've ever seen. Certainly sections top to 2nd will have their work cut out but all 5 pieces are great pieces of music and I'd be happy playing any of them :)
    I know we tend to moan (and I've done my fair share of moaning over the years) but the panel will never please everyone.

7. iancwilx

I wish all banding folk were as open minded as you are, but we seem to have a fair selection of old bigots and young bigots ~ Well, it makes for interesting debates !

~ Mr Wilx

8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm disappointed there were no new pieces on this year's list. I know there are three living and two dead composers on the list, but none of the selections is truly contemporary. (21st Century) I must admit to enjoying the champ, 1st and second section selections, but the third section piece is really under the bar. I know it needs a lot of percussion, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good choice for 3rd section. This is definitely a 4th section piece - despite the percussion.

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

If you want boring contest music try being a bass player. Besides, percussionists have all the fun of building their own instruments (it's not called a kit for nothing ;-).)

10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Not sure about Hollywood being a 4th section piece, while not the most technically demanding piece, its a bit of a blow and stylistically hard to pull off. Its easily on a par with Three Saints which is definately a 3rd section piece.

Great choices all around though, every section gets some "music" to play as well as having a bit of a challenge, and some will definately show which bands should be in the respective sections and which bands should not! Hats off to the selection panel.

11. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I agree it shouldn't matter too much how many dots are on the part - like you say, everyone else has to take the rough with the smooth so percussion shouldn't be any exception. But at the very least there should be consistency in how many percussion parts there are, and about what stuff a band should be reasonably expected to be equipped with at any given level. Those kind of things the test piece panels can enforce if they wish to. There is often a bit of room for manoeuvre - I recall a few years ago bands were instructed to leave out the celesta part in RVWs 'Variations'?

What would be even more useful is to put these kind of policies in place and then publish them as widely as possible so that bands know what will be expected of them and can then make informed decisions over purchasing equipment etc. The same for what instruments will need what mutes and suchlike. It will also give composers and arrangers a chance to work to them if they wish to.

12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Put them on the bus to the nearest 1st section band?

13. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I'll find other ways to keep them occupied, don't worry!

14. ben16

ben16 Member

couldn't disagree more - love these two
    it is simply a matter of personal taste

15. iancwilx

I'm with you mate 100%. When I was a youngster in 1963 I heard Life Divine played on a vinyl LP by Manchester CWS. I was so impressed I joined Imps just so I could play it at the 1963 British Open. We played last band on to a packed Kings Hall at Belle Vue Manchester. A memorable experience. (Even though we came 12th). I still love the piece. Epic is also on my fave list.
    I would add that I like a lot of modern pieces too, and dislike quite a lot of old pieces.
    Music spans the centuries and caters for all tastes.

~ Mr Wilx

16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

4th section Devon Fantasy was used for area 3rd section in 1973/ 1974 if im right not 100% sure
    Recall going to De Montford Hall Leicester listening that year the piece was picked the 3rd section was followed by The Butlins Youth Section then the Championship section which i think was Variations on a 9th the contest went on till past midnight before results were given out;)

17. JR

JR Member

You're right - it was 1974

How do I know this? - because I played Devon Fantasy at the Yorks Area that year - we drew no. 1 with my Dad conducting and got nowt...

Grimey won the top section on Variations on a Ninth

John R

18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

19. we played Hollywood a few years ago at the Fleetwood contest in the 3rd section. The adjudicator was judging his 1st ever contest, and on the results sheet loved it and could not find fault with it. So our 5th place came of a bit of a shock!!! :mad:we found out that he had marked us down due to him thinking it wasnt a recognised "test piece"!!!!! we were well gutted. and glad that we are not in the 3rd section as i think we would refuse to play it!!!

20. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Shows the type of "professionals" used by the North West contests! Hollywood has been used as a 2nd section area piece and 2nd section CISWO piece at least. I would think that made it a recognised test piece! Unlucky though, play it this year, you might do alright now its a proper test ;)