2013 Area Test pieces rumours.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Adamskied, Jun 2, 2012.

1. ChrisHatch

ChrisHatch Member

I'm quite looking forward to Devon Fantasy myself. It looks like it will be quite an enjoyable piece to work up.

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

As I said we came 4th on it with a single percussionist. It did probably help that he was a damn good xylophonist though...

3. Mrs Horn

Mrs Horn Member

Percussionists are like rocking horse **** these days - in any section, not just 3rd ;)

4. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Yeah it sounds a nice piece....as long as we don't have judges that are stuck in a time warp, who want sounds like a f*rt in a beer can, like the good old days.

Yeah probably, ace piece though and a good choice. :D

5. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

I hope for your sake you do, but please remember that Oswaldtwistle Clog and Tripe Works Band won on it in 1957 and what a band they had!!!

6. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

Understandably so!! Why does anyone with any understanding pick pieces with so much percussion when most lower bands are struggling!! stupidity! Wilky, I hope you're not on the selection committee yet!

7. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

And all Beethoven, Tchaikovsky symphonies and Rossini and Mozart Operas too pah... old fashioned and dated !

8. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

Do you think all Classical Music should be "Left in the past" as well ?

~ Mr Wilx

9. iancwilx

Bring on the "Like" button !

~ Mr Wilx

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
  10. iancwilx

I'm canvassing for support !!

~ Mr Wilx

11. iancwilx

You see ~ We agree 100% !

~ Mr Wilx

12. liamtellis

liamtellis New Member

I thinks there’s some great choices for next year’s regionals. I think that Harmony Music is superb, and Hollywood for the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] section reminds me of ‘New World Sketches’, but even better! I think Brass Triumphant is a great choice for the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] section. It has that ‘Cory Sound’, and I believe that this piece was written for them by Gareth Wood to portray their history?! Just for those who haven’t heard the piece yet, it’s a four movement piece with the third one being the longest (and in this movement there’s some stunning solo sections, especially for the Euphonium. And suits David Childs to the max in Cory’s recording!) The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] movement is a fanfare with the trombones feeding the melody throughout. The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] movement, is more edgy, and quite angry compared to the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] movement. The melody seems to be carried around throughout all the sections in the band. Then the beautiful 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] movement, which is a breath of fresh air compared to the other movements, with a stunning solo part for the Euphonium and carries the melody throughout the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] movement, there’s also some nice work for the horn section. It finishes with a duet from the Cornet and Euphonium, and then, peacefully the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] movement comes to an end. In this movement you’ll hear a few Welsh folk melodies as well. And then it’s back to fun in the last movement. It’s a typical ‘Cory sound’ piece, and the last movement clearly shows that with that tour-de-force technique. Must say that every piece this year is also a great one for listeners, which will hopefully help filling a few empty seats at the Brangwyn Hall next year!

13. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

You can count on my vote :clap:

14. simonium

simonium Member

No, but Epic Symphony and Life Divine hardly rank among those do they? What a puerile comparison. It's not their age - it's their quality I find lacking.

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Interesting to compare this to some of the comments on this forum about the lack of percussion in the 3rd section Nationals piece, and the percussionists being bored with it. So what do we need? Parts to keep them occupied or a piece that suits a band without a full complement of percussionists?

BTW I don't know the answer to this question, but as has been said here before we do need to figure out a rational level - to go from something with hardly any percussion into a piece which is basically percussion driven does seem a bit bizarre - and this isn't the only example of this (Pentacle to Moorside Suite?).

16. fartycat

fartycat Member

Okay example for the first section I guess (although Moorside suite, if organised as if an orchestral section were performing it does need 4 players) but there was plenty of perc in the last 2 area test pieces for the 3rd section.

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Ironically, I think LD is often made to sound rather lifeless - have you heard this 1959 recording of CWS Manchester playing it? Some cheeky fast tempos do it a number of favours, and the old narrow-bore instruments lend it a life that a modern band just can't - particularly the blazing trombones (of which I particularly admire the full-on bass - not easy at all to sound like that on the old Gs! Anyone know who this was?). On the other hand, some distinct messiness and bad tuning that would not be tolerated in a top band today - times change.

I too prefer the other three on the list of those four, but I do think that LD is often done a disservice. It's not music that would stand up in the company of the best British 'classical' composers of the day (as MS and ES would (ES just about!)), but it deserves not to be left unperformed and forgotten.

I'd back those two pieces against any Rossini opera - pretty uninspiring stuff in the main, Rossini. Don't know how he got the fashionable good rep he has nowadays.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I can't stop myself... This is probably a sign that I should go and get a life or something similarly drastic...

The band that won on Devon Fantasy in 1957 was Kinneil Colliery, taking the Scottish 3rd section title: http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/scottish-championship-third-section/1957-01-01/
    And they probably did have quite a decent band then, given that the next contesting year they won both the Scottish 2nd section and the National 2nd section, going on to win the Scottish top section in 1962...

Sorry to respond to your joke with a serious point! But the date coincidence made me think.

[For the zero people that are wondering, yes they were (probably) the only band that won on this piece in that year despite it being set as an area piece, because the Scottish championships prior to 1959 were held at the end of the year rather than the start - so, in this example, the 1957 Scottish championships were run in parallel with the 1958 areas. The 1957 third section piece was Drake Rimmers' Spirit of Progress (anyone ever heard of it?), which was contested on in Scotland in 1956.]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  19. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

Well there are plenty of critics who think Tchaikovsky symphonies are somewhat lacking. So cut out the slagging. You have an opinion (high and mighty as it may be), others have differing ones.

20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

No argument from me; "Plantagenets" is a tough choice for 2nd Section ... however perhaps one shouldn't expect consistency between Butlins choices and the Nationals Music Panel, even if we might hope for consistency from the Panel from year to year with the Qualifiers.