2012 Norwegian Nationals

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Statto, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Statto

Statto Member

It's nearly time for the Norwegian Nationals and it is going to be shown live on the web again:)

Only downside is that you need to subscribe to a web-TV service - link here http://www.spilleglede.no/Live+streaming+from+Nationals+in+Norway.b7C_wRvQZt.ips

Only just over £5 though (6.40 euros) and hence a bargain, especially as you have access for a week and can replay performances as often as you like.

Contest programme can be downloaded from here

All sections form guide
    Elite division

2. trm

trm Member

Introduction/preview articles coming up on 4barsrest right now. Introduction, elite and first division covered already.
  3. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

I've waited to see what users would say about this post with only 1 reply to the original posting so i'm not so sure entering my VisaCard details on a site that has no English translation ? Yes I can clearly see that there is some kind of script as an example for those with non Norwegian lingo but i'm still not convinced.

Reading from the link provided it says that TV 2 Sumo is aimed at Norwegian viewers the registration process is only available in Norwegian, but should be simple enough for foreign speakers to follow with our instructions below. Surely if NMF wanted to promote their music competitions they would have some kind of translation or select country of language.

Not all of us can afford to get to Norway so this service would of benefited me this weekend.

Is it just that i'm been too cautious ?
  4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

NMF are a completely seperate entity from TV2. TV2 are a national broadcasting network (think ITV, ITV2 etc..) and SUMO is their Net TV station, where, abit like SKY+ you can choose the programs you want and fill your own schedule.
    Now obviously a norwegian TV network broadcasting mainly either Norwegian programs of interest to locals, or american/english subtitled programs that English speakers could easily find on their own tellys, aren't going to be assuming that there would be a big foreign interest, or I guess.. not enough interest to warrant them forking out blip-blaps to pay for a multilingual website :)
    NMF realised this and has put up a brief translation and how to get around the norwegian postcode/phone number for the foreigners. Just to confirm, the translation is accurate :D and they aren't trying to rip you off.

Too Long Didn't Read: Yes, too cautious.. get it ordered!
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

When Brass in Concert was streamed a couple of years ago I don't remember the instructions being offered in Norwegian, Dutch, French, German, etc.? It's a Norwegian contest, filmed by a Norwegian TV company and streamed by a Norwegian media organisation. Why should they put in an English translation for the few people who will actually watch it? Remember that, by and large, UK banders don't go to watch other bands even when they're at the same contest, so I'm willing to bet that the take-up here in the UK isn't going to be huge - what would be the benefit to NMF of putting translation in? I'm hoping to watch some of it, but I'm the sort of geek that goes to contests with a copy of the score and a tartan flask, we're a dying breed.
  6. trm

trm Member

I might add on a general note that online payment is quite prevalent and common in Norway, and thus subject to strict regulation.
    TV2 is an professional operator in the Norwegian media market, currently priced at approx NOK 4.2 billion. For information about TV2 in the Norwegian register of commercial businesses, see: http://w2.brreg.no/enhet/sok/detalj.jsp?orgnr=962925634. (Brønnøysundregisteret provides services comparable to Companies House in the UK I believe).
  7. trm

trm Member

I spoke with mr Simon Dobson yesterday and he was really impressed with another innovative service provided after this years national championships. Instead of each band being able to buy a cd of their own performance, as has been the standard operating procedure here in Norway, all the performances from this years championships from all divisions, will be available in the iTunes store. Pricing estimated at NOK 9,- pr track/performance. At current exchange rate that should translate into approx 1 pound me thinks.
    For those of you not into the "i"-family of products (iTunes, iPad, iPod, iPhone etc) the performances will also be available at www.musikkonline.no I am told.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Good luck to everyone competing this weekend, and no duff notes....looking in your direction Aidan. ;)
  9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Duff as in the beer? Can't make promises like that Andy lad... ;)
  10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Oh well mate, just make sure you remember your music! ;)

Good luck buddy (are you playing twice?)
  11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yep, with Rong (local band, with Renate and Linda etc.) in the morning tomorrow, and then again twice more with Eikanger on both days.
  12. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Good stuff mate, well best of luck with both. Btw shouldn't it be düff seeing as you're continental now.
  13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Just incase anyone gets the same error as my dad, who just did it now..
    "Brukernavnet er ikke gyldig. Det kan kun inneholde små bokstaver og tall."
    this means roughly: Username not allowed. You may only use small letters and numbers.
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just registered, following the instructions online, and it is a very easy process. Now just got to find time to watch some of it - good luck to all taking part.
  15. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

A great set work contest today on Goldberg 2012 by Svein Henrik Giske. A very hard piece with some great music, although It took me around 5 bands to understand the piece a bit better. For me, Manger Musikklag :clap: was absolutely on an amazing form today, It would be real surprise If they didn't win the set work contest. Tomorrow, who knows, great pieces chosen though. My predictions for today set work result would be; 1. Manger 2. Stavanger 3.Eikanger 4.Sola 5.Krohnengen 6.Molde Brass

Tomorrow's Own Choice Draw

1. Sola Brass Band – Music of the Spheres
    2. Stavanger Brass Band – Vienna Nights
    3. Molde Brass Band - On the Shoulders of Giants
    4. Oslo Brass Band – Red Priest
    5. Jaren Hornmusikkforening – Dove Descending
    6. Eikanger-Bjørsvik Musikklag – From Ancient Times
    7. Kleppe Musikklag – Sounds
    8. Manger Musikklag - Audivi Media Nocte
    9. Ila Brass Band - Klang!
    10. Krohnengen Brass Band - Revelation

16. Statto

Statto Member

17. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

And now all the performances from the Norwegian Nationals are published on iTunes. Search for "NM Brass" and you can buy every section. I.e. From the Elitesection recordings of all the performances are priced at 95 NOK which is around 10,50 GPB for ca 5,5 hours of live BB-performances.

18. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

The first section cost me just £8.99 yesterday, but you do have to buy an entire section - you can't buy individual tracks.

19. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

you can purchase individual bands yep, at 9NOK each which is roughly a quid.
    Not sure for the elitedivisjon bands if this gets you BOTH pieces or just one though, not tried it myself.

edit: Thought Tim was asking a question... We were told that bands would be able to purchase their own performances for 9KR so would presume that applies to the public too? Shouldn't have to pay for the whole section.
  20. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

First division on UK iTunes - each track is marked "album only", so I had to buy the entire section. Not complaining though, was a nice set of test pieces. Elite is the same, though for your £8.99 you get both set test and own choice. There's 3 tracks from the 4th section at 99p, (the ones under 10 mins) the rest are "album only"