2012 Finals test piece (Rumours/thoughts)

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Laserbeam bass, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Sorry. By 'having heard it' I meant that I have heard Daphnis and Chloe was the choice. As for any revisions new versions etc. that is beyond the scope of any rumour which has reached my ears. Other than the title, I've heard nowt.....

2. ringa

ringa Member

I didnt meam Mr Snells work be rewritten. I meant my word written should have been rewritten in my earlier post :oops:

3. Barking Baritone!

Barking Baritone! New Member

Send me a score, and I'll try my best!

4. Warderloo

Warderloo Member

"I'd much prefer an original BB composition than an orchestral arrangement!"

Daphnis was originally written for band, then some Frenchman arranged it for orchestra

5. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

... badly. Monsieur Ravel's transcription really fails to capture the mood of William Rimmer's original work commissioned by the Heckythump Pickle Works Fife and Drum Band! ;)

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

We really do need that 'like' button.... :D

7. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

Christian, I doff my cap to you're witty and modest reply :)

8. jaycee

jaycee New Member

Didn't I hear something a couple of years ago about James Macmillan writing something for Dyke for this year - what's the betting that it gets used for London?

9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Off topic... Dyke are involved in the Cultural Olympiad - click - but the piece was written by Luke Carver Goss.

10. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Luke Goss. The one from Bros? Wow, no idea
    he wrote band stuff lol

11. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Anyway back on topic.

So far the nominees for the sections are
    C. Daphnis & Chloe (Rimmer arr for orchestra by some french bloke, and transcribed back by Lorriman)
    1. Excalibur (Jan Van Der Roost) Cross Patonce (Richards)
    2. Mountain Views (Moren) Far too easy for 1st so lets give it the aspiring 1st section bands to show what the gap is between the two sections
    3. ??????????
    4. Oceans (Richards)

12. ringa

ringa Member

this Daphnis & Chloe seems to be a poular choice on this thread. Any suggestions to back this up? or why it would be picked over something modern like harrisons dream

13. Laserbeam bass

:dunno

Only the chosen few who chose the music will know whether this is leaked rumour of just a load of BS. As usual this is a bit of fun, and you will get the most outlandish suggestions, but you will more often than not get the actual piece mentioned but it is usually dismissed as being too hard, or too old etc.......

14. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Because Harrison's dream was the 2000 national finals piece

15. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

Yes, please.

16. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Modern/traditional isn't an argument here. Daphnis and Chloe is a symphonic suite for symphony orchestra (and choir in its main guise) - Harrisons Dream is a test piece written by a band composer (essentially) for a brass band competition. Ironically, a lot of 'modern' film music (especially for sci fi movies) by 'modern' composers has clearly taken inspiration from music like Daphnis and Chloe.

17. tubamaest

tubamaest Member

Come on guys somebody must know?

18. Laserbeam bass

You would "Hope" so!

19. LynneW

LynneW Member

Does anyone know why the national finals testpiece is only announced just over 3 months before the finals, whereas the testpieces for the areas are announced almost 6 months before. I know it's the same for every band but I'm most bands have summer jobs and summer holidays to contend with whilst trying to rehearse the testpiece for the finals

20. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Maybe its just because Kapitol like winding people up, lol!
    Or it could be something to do with permissions and publishing for new pieces (or even waiting for them to be finished..)

Seriously though, I don't know of any bands who start working on the areas pieces as soon as they're announced anyway, and I think if a band is good enough to be at the finals (for any section) then it should also be good enough to get the piece together in less than 3 months.