2012 Finals test piece (Rumours/thoughts)

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Laserbeam bass, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

No you didn't - however it is often the assumption made that piece without lots of black notes = easy, whereas it's clearly not the case. The observations was against that assumption, not necessarily against yourself.

A common misconception. Far from all of the bands attending the finals will already be promoted, due to the promotion/relegation systems used throughout the regions. The finals are a competition to determine who is the best band of that section in the country, and the piece should be graded accordingly. Extending your logic, we should be setting year of the dragon for the fourth section finals because if you look at it, they're aspiring championship bands as well. How would the first section finalists have coped with Devil or Pagannini? The simple answer is that they wouldn't.

It's generally accepted amongst the banding community that the second and first section pieces were the wrong way round this year. Having listened to the 2nd section in yorkshire, the bands produced creditable performances of 'cross patonce' but there was not one clean one. Even those that were clearly at the top of the field had problems, some of them severe. In those that failed to contend, there were one or two real horror-stories. In short, that piece tested the 2nd section to it's absolute limit and beyond - and the lesson is there to be learned from that. Throwing an even harder piece (Tallis) at the finalists will simply lead to a lottery.

I've very rarely heard even a first section band produce a 'winning' performance of Tallis. It's so exposed, so lyrical and light that every note requires the greatest of effort and concentration. And that bass part. How many second section players could produce a convincing rendition of that? I'd suggest that choosing it for the 2nd section - even the finals - would just lead to a day of bands stretched beyond breaking point just about getting from end to end of it.....

....but in all fairness it wouldn't really surprise me.....

2. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

The poor listeners will not know what they are missing with a bit of Vinter;)

3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

1st Section:
    Lorenzo ok its that yellow music but would still prove to be a test at the final

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

I reckon Thomas Keighley is a bit of a poor man's Percy Fletcher... How about 'Epic Symphony' if we're going for that vintage?

5. Thirteen Ball

Lorenzo used at Pontins about 2005-6 and Epic Symphony used in Blackpool about 2008-9. Both unlikely to reappear so soon I'd have said.

And I for one am certainly in no hurry to hear Lorenzo again....

I think this was rather more to do with it's suitability for the section, Ian.

Anyway, we already had a two-year Vinter-fest. Give it a rest, would you?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Don't think they would count usage at completely separate contests a few years back as an inhibiting factor. ES was used at the Masters too fairly recently for that matter.

7. Thirteen Ball

Fair comment. Either way, I'd rather hope it would be something from the last 100 years at least, which rules both out!

8. Kofi

Kofi Member

When do we normally find out anyway?

9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

See above :tup

10. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

There has been mention of Jan van der Roost, so how about Excalibur for the 1st?

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

That would be a good choice.

12. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

Thanks, I could be great on the choosing panel. ;) I just like to be on top with test pieces and some of them are just too good to let go.

13. Kofi

Kofi Member

Woops, cheers!

14. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

1926 was less than 100 years ago!!

15. Thirteen Ball

Only just. I was labouring under the misapprehension Epic Symphony was 1912, but on checking you're quite correct. Lorenzo was 1905 if I recall correctly?

Either way, both have had their day, enjoyed more than enough revivals, and I'd quite happily never see or hear either again.

16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I thought "Labour and Love" was the first original test piece in 1912.
    "Lorenzo" was a few years later on down the line.

~ Mr Wilx

17. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

18. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Lorenzo was British Open 1928 at Belle Vue Manchester Fodens won it.
    I noted that "J.Greenwood" conducted no less than 6 bands on the day. Must have been a busy few weeks for him leading up to the contest !

~ Mr Wilx

19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

PS: It was chosen for the BO again in 1964 and amazingly Fodens won it again.

~ Mr Wilx

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

No;)