2012 Finals test piece (Rumours/thoughts)

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Laserbeam bass, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

To be played at a dynamic of fffff to emphasise 11 on the amp and accompanied by dancing dwarves being lowered to the stage in front of the horns. Trombones to start playing locked inside a coffin.

Youve opened a can of worms here Andy!

2. GinGinnie

GinGinnie New Member

........fancy a bit of Tallis Variations myself..........

3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Which section though? 2nd?

4. ringa

ringa Member

I had a dream it was variations on a ninth (a bit easy for championship I know). told a colleague from band who said he'd had the same dream................. how spooky is that?:eek:

5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I heard yesterday the 4th section going to be a long note contest ;)

6. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

C Section Must be Mr Sparke's turn again ;)
    1st Section Prague (C Section area 2003)
    2nd Section Land of the Long White Cloud (1st section area 1995)
    3rd Section Culloden Moor (2nd section final 1980, 2nd Section area 1998 )
    4th Section Entertainments (Senior Cup 1982 A Hope conducting, 2006 3rd Section Area)

7. HannahLouise

HannahLouise Member

When are the testpieces actually announced?

8. salefc

salefc Member

We did that at the English Nationals last year.

9. Laserbeam bass

Last weekend in May, or first week in June, sometimes earlier, sometimes later ;)

10. Laserbeam bass

Listening to it now on Pete Meechan's blog. Wouldn't mind a crack a that for the finals :cool:

11. Laserbeam bass

Actually, the more I listen, it may be a bit higher than the section I am playing in.

12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Bring it on would be great to play it in 4th section:clap:

13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

You are, of course, joking, right?

That's almost as ridiculous as picking Cross Patonce for the second section area.... oh hang on.....

Seriously though, while there might not be any massive technical difficulties contained in the score (though there certainly are tricky bits to trip up the unwary) the real challenge in Tallis is balance, intonation, tuning, musical sympathy, poise, grace, elegance... in short, the sort of challenges that already brought out the best and worst in the first section on moorside suite the other year. And it's certainly no easier than moorside - though for me is a much better balanced test.

To suggest it's only worthy of the second section just because it doesn't contain any hemi-demi-semiquaver lunacy (as sadly appears to be de-rigeur in most new pieces today) is very wide of the mark. As a 1st section finals piece it would sort the bands out - but you'd end up with some very poor attempts at it in the 2nd.

I suppose another practicality to consider is how many second section bands have access to a full set of tuba and euph mutes, which Tallis can't be played properly without.

14. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Active Member

Not for the poor listeners, it wouldn't.

15. GinGinnie

GinGinnie New Member

Indeed Andi, I had assumed that Bass Man was joking..........so had not felt the need to reply.........

16. Hove Edge

Hove Edge Member

Apocalypse would be super in RAH

17. SteveT

SteveT Member

I admire your taste young man!!

18. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I wasn't joking, I don't particularly feel that Tallis Variations poses a challenge greater than the first section (and I don't recall citing hemi-demi-semi-quavers at any point), and given that the bands who will be attending the second section nationals are looking to advance into the first section I think they should face a challenge of that standard, in very much the same way that I believe that the first section bands should be given a championship section piece for their finals. I also believe that the finals piece should be harder than the area piece, Tallis certainly fits that bill (and before anyone picks me up on this I don't think that something like Extreme Makeover or Titan's Progress should be picked just because it's harder than Cross Patonce).

I could be wrong, I think it's happened at least once before, and I certainly take your feedback on board. Just be grateful I'm not on the music selection panel ;)

19. Laserbeam bass

After a long hard think, this is my thoughts for the finals

C Section - New P Sparke piece called Diamond Jubilee Overture
    1st Section - New P Sparke piece called Diamond Jubilee Overture 1
    2nd Section - New P Sparke piece called Diamond Jubilee Overture 2
    3rd Section - New P Sparke piece called Diamond Jubilee Overture 3
    4th Section - New P Sparke piece called Diamond Jubilee Overture 4

20. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

According to my Chinese Calendar this year is the year of the dragon.

Just saying.

4th section maybe??