2012 City of Sheffield Band Club - Concert Dates and Bands

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by brassintheed, Dec 19, 2011.

1. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Obviously no band club this Easter Sunday, but the season returns next Sunday with the always popular Emley Band. They've got a hard act to follow with Knottingley giving us a fantastic concert last Sunday, but I'm sure they're up to the job as normal :)

Have a fantastic Easter everyone!

2. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo Member

I hope you spent Easter Sunday night practicing your raffle ticket shaking skills so you don't spill them on the floor again Ed !! ;)

Looking forward to Emley this Sunday (15th) - Don't forget peeps - 8.00 O'Clock start.

3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

We're looking forward to a good night. . . .
    Our program will include. . .

At The Sign of the Swinging Cymbal
    Blaze Away
    The Second Waltz
    Love Theme from the Godfather
    Eleanor Rigby
    Nearer My God to Thee
    Overture - Disco Inferno
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Libertango
    Montagues and Capulets
    Be My Love
    Sleep
    Largo Al Factotum
    Olympia
    Haunted Halls

:)

4. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

oooh Blaze Away!! ... I'm wondering if... hmm better not give the game away just in case... :)

Sounds a nice enjoyable programme Garry, looking forward to welcoming you back.

5. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo Member

....Will we have to inform Niagara to have the fire brigade on standby ! .....Or is it your birthday Ed and your bringing a cake with candles ??? ;)

6. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Important Notice

There are a couple of concert changes from next week till the end of the season, with an extra concert, and the Prize Giving Concert moving to May. The last few dates now read:

22nd April
    - Strata Brass
    29th April - Dronfield Brass Band

27th May - Prize Giving Concert - Unite the Union Brass Band

I have asked the mouthpiece to amend the dates on the first post today.

7. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Aye, there's nowt like giving the game away Ed!! ;)
    Thanks, lovely to be back playing tonight. . . .

8. YRBBC

YRBBC Member

Dronfield are going to be busy on the 29th - they are also listed as competing at Buxton on the 29th :?:

9. YRBBC

YRBBC Member

Enjoyed the concert by Emley last night and Ed and co work hard to make this club a success but where have all the band personnel and supporters that were regulars at the club gone ?

There's nothing much on tele on a Sunday night so why not make the effort, meet up with friends and support the band at Niagara Sports & Social Club :tup

I don't know but it may well be a case of support it or lose it and that would be a great shame :(

Make the effort - see you there :D

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yes, Peggy long day, but we should be finished at Buxton by 4pm, time for a nice tea then over to Band Club. A big thank you to Edward too for finding an extra date for us. Working hard on both our test-piece and the programme for the 29th.

Got some excellent new music for band club and a few traditional items too; always a great venue to play at.

11. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo Member

Thanks for the kind words Peggy and lets hope the crowds turn out for the last few band club concerts !! :clap:
    We are looking forward to a great concert next week from Strata and then it sounds like Dronfield should have their 'lips in' by the time they get to Niagara !! (All the best for Buxton Contest !!)
    See you all on 22nd and 29th....

Don't forget the prize giving evening and concert on 27th May.

Dates for your diary and kitchen calendar ! :D

12. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Thanks Peggy, it's always a pleasure to have you supporting us and the bands.

I know several of the bandsman that used to regularly turn up on a Sunday night now rehearse on that evening, so it has taken a little chunk out of the audience. And we did have a hiccup in the middle which affected the momentum we normally buld up.

It's still luckily a decent sized audience for the bands (and extremely appreciative) however it's not to the same level we had last year, or that we get on the contest & prize giving nights. And you're right, it's only with the support of the audience that we can keep this going. I would like this to keep building like it did last year, and I'll be looking to bring some new bands next year too.

Anyone who went on Sunday will have seen just how good these concerts can be. Emley put on a cracking show yet again, and I loved their inventive use of stage management. Fantastic night's entertainment for the price of a raffle ticket! :)

Strata and Dronfield always put on an great concerts for us too, so the next two weeks will also be excellent nights out. To all those people desperately trying to find something to watch on telly on a Sunday Evening, get yourselves over to Niagara in Hillsborough, Sheffield. You don't know what you're missing.

13. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo Member

Don't forget it's Strata Band at band club tonight (Sunday 22nd). 8.00pm start and free entry - Just buy a raffle ticket or two to support the event !!!

See you all there.....

14. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

It's great to see Strata back at the band club after a couple of years absence. This band brings a cracking reputation for entertaining concerts and I'm sure tonight will be no exception. This is the penultimate concert in the main season so get yourselves there for what will be a brilliant evening.

15. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo Member

Just got home from a very entertaining concert by Strata Brass. If you didn't go then you missed an excellent evenings entertainment ! Well done Guy's and Gal's !! I hope you will be back again next year :clap:

16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Dronfield Band are looking forward to this Sunday's concert at City Of Sheffield Band Club - here's a preview of our programme (including a premier performance of Os Justi)

Rovers Return
    English Folk Songs
    All My Life
    You Raise Me Up
    The Way You Look Tonight
    Os Justi
    Anthem from Chess

Home Of Legends
    Jeanie With The Light Brown Hair
    Love Unknown
    Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White
    The Seal Lullaby
    Stal Himmel
    The Mask Of Zorro

17. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Well what a brilliant run of excellent concerts we've had in the last couple of weeks. Strata were, as expected, highly entertaining (with the exception of the rubbish dep they got for 3rd man of course :) ) And the audience filled up nicely. Thanks to Dave and Strata for really pushing the concert and providing the audience with such a good night.

Dronfield finish off the season this Sunday. They won the Most entertaining band last year so I think we've got yet another brilliant concert coming up. See you all there :)

18. YRBBC

YRBBC Member

Yes - good concert last Sunday and looking forward to another entertaining evening this Sunday - and all for the price of a raffle ticket - can't beat that.

P.

19. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Just a reminder to everyone that the Prize Giving Night is a week today (Sunday 27th May). We'll be awarding prizes for the youngest player, best soloist and most entertaining band.

The band club hosts, Unite the Union Band, will be putting on a a cracking concert on the evening and as always entry is free (with the caveat that you support the band club by dipping into your pocket for the raffle and key to the box).

It's been another really enjoyable season with the bands providing some fantastic concerts, so it will be great to celebrate all the local brass talent.

Edward

20. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Results of the 2012 Band Club prize giving

Last night saw a packed out audience at the Prize Giving Concert of the 2012 Band Club. The audience were given a concert given by the hosts Unite the Union Brass Band.

It's been a brilliant season again, and we're already starting to plan next years run of concerts.

Winners of the 2012 Prizes

Youngest Player
    Georgia Kirk - Deepcar - 11yrs old
    Cameron Chapman – Emley - 11 yrs old

Best Soloist
    Maria Beazer - Flugel - Strata

Most Entertaining Band

There were three outstanding bands that received a huge amount of votes:
    Knottingley, Emley & Strata
    And the winners this year were Knottingley

Services to Band Club
    For his long term association with the Band Club, and many of the bands who appear over the years. And for playing in the most bands this year, the award for 2012 went to
    James Broadhead

Congratulations to all the winners, and also to all the bands and players who took part this year.

There will be a special Band Club Remembrance Concert at Niagara on 11th November given by Unite the Union Band, and the full band club will return on 3rd February 2013.

Hope you all have a fantastic summer.

Last edited: May 28, 2012