2011 OBAF Composition Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by DublinBass, Jan 27, 2011.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

This year’s composition contest will accept pieces written for traditional British-style brass band instrumentation, of any format with a recommended performance length of 3-5 minutes. Pieces should have been completed after December 1, 2010 and not yet performed or recorded.

Entries should be submitted with complete score and parts as either a .pdf (letter not A4 format), or .sib file to ohiobrassarts@gmail.com no later than 5pm EST on Friday, March 4, 2010. If some other format is needed, please contact the festival organizers at the same e-mail address.

Up to eight finalists’ compositions will be performed at the Friday evening portion of the Ohio Brass Arts Festival (April 2, 2010) by the Repertoire Band. The winning piece will receive a cash prize of $200 (US) and honorable mentions for several other pieces will be recognized.

The purpose of the contest has always been to encourage new pieces for the brass band genre that are accessible for most bands to play. Additionally, we hope to bring good exposure to composers and their works, as the Repertoire band should be able perform and record (for the composers) more than just the three finalists, as has been the case in past years.

Past winners have included:
    2010 - “Vengeance (Tonnau’r Cawr)” - Cai Isfryn
    2009 - “American Landscape” - Benjamin Tubb
    2008 - “Battle Axe” - Darrol Barry

The 2011 Ohio Brass Arts Festival will take place April 1-2 at Weigel Hall, The Ohio State University. Additional festival information can be found online at the host Central Ohio Brass Band website http://www.centralohiobrass.org
  2. DublinBass

Reminder the deadline is this Friday.

Also, to answer a question that has been asked; More than one submission is allowed per person, but only one submission per person can be a finalist.
  3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Did you get my entry?

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Submitted! Thanks for drawing this to our attention Pat. Persuaded me to pull my finger out and actually write something original for the first time in ages.
  5. DublinBass

I don't normally see the entries until we review them; However, I believe yours was forwarded on...unfortunately, I have an older version of Sibelius and was unable to open it. Look forward to seeing it/ hearing it in a couple of weeks when we narrow down the field!

@Dave - good stuff mate!
  6. Laserbeam bass

If it makes the final cut, people will think I have bribed you :eek:
  7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Being primarily an arranger, I don't write much original stuff - however this did persuade me to put my head obove the parapet and finish off some long-unfinished work.

Looking at the past winners though, I think I'd better treat this as a training exercise!
  8. Laserbeam bass

Having listened to some of your arrangements, and heard some of the past entries, I'm sure you could make a decent fist of it. At least it will be better than my entry :wink:
  9. Thirteen Ball

Over the weekend I received the following update.

Well done to all the finalists. I'm honoured, (and more than slightly susprised) to see my name in there with you.

Particularly to my ex partner-in-crime, Gareth Davis from Frickley South Elmsall band. Told you your stuff was good, lad!! :clap:
  10. Laserbeam bass

Surprised not to see my name in there :eek:
  11. casanova

casanova Member

That makes 3 people who like my stuff now then! The panel, you and me mum! :biggrin:
  12. QAD

QAD Member

Good luck to all the finalists will be interesting to hear all the pieces.
  13. DublinBass

Truth be told, I wish there was time for them to run through more than just the six pieces. Lots of good music!!

Regardless, looking forward to tomorrow night!
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Good luck, btw!
  15. Thirteen Ball

Thanks Brassneck! :)
  16. QAD

QAD Member

DublinBass, just arrived in Ohio, are you guys already here for the concert tomorrow night?
  17. casanova

casanova Member

Been looking forward to tomorrow for a while now.

I just hope they dont tell me i've won as an april fool! :tongue:
  18. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Well done to you all and all the best. (I keep telling myself I'm going to get off my backside and enter but never actually bother, so well done to everyone who did- I admire you!)
  19. DublinBass

Of course, since we live in town ;-)

Not sure what your plans are tonight, but COBB (the hosts) rehearse and then typically head to Signatures in Gahanna (near the airport) if you'd like meet up.

I plan on getting there about 7:00-7:30 since we don't have rehearsal tonight.
  20. DublinBass

Results won't be announced until Saturday the 2nd, so you are in the clear ;-)