2011 Finals Test Pieces announced

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Mr Ratty, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Mr Ratty

Mr Ratty Member

1st Section - Force of Destiny
    2nd - Portrait of a City
    3rd - Darkness Visible
    4th - Henry V
  2. JBSop

JBSop New Member

Just Music (http://www.justmusicuk.com/spweb/publications.php?categoryid=93&page=1) are showing the test pieces as:

Championship - Breath of Souls - Paul Lovatt-Cooper
    1st Section - La Forza Del Destino - Guiseppi Verdi arr Frank Wright
    2nd Section - Portrait of a City - Philip Sparke
    3rd Section - Darkness Visable - Richard Grantham
    4th Section - Henry The Fifth - Ralph Vaughan Williams arr Roy Douglas
  3. battybarit

battybarit Member

National finals: ticket prices

Have just heard from my contest sec that Force of Destiny is indeed the first section pice... but also that all bandsmen may have to buy a ticket to listen to their own section as well as the others. Can this be the case? Given the already much discussed rise in entry fees to compete in the finals then being charged to go and listen to your own section seems harsh and mercenary... so can anyone clarify this please?
  4. Mr Ratty

Mr Ratty Member

Yes, this is the case. I had the stuff through the post this morning. £12 if you buy on the day. £10 if you pre-order them. I think i'll be giving that a miss.
  5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

That was the case last year I think?
  6. jonford

jonford Member

In previous years this has been the case at Harrogate that players have to buy tickets if they want to watch.
  7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Two helpings of Frank Wright stodge in six months. What has the poor old 1st section done to deserve it?
  8. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

It's like someone's stuck in the past..........
  9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Is that for both days? 2 sections on Sat and 2 on the Sunday or do you need a separate ticket for each day?
  10. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

Henry the Fifth for forth section ouch thats going to be hard not an easy piece for 2nd section band to play
  11. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

wouldnt be surprised if thats not price per ticket per section
  12. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Is this a different arrangement?
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Don't think so; the use of the word "arranged" is misleading - on the original B&H publication it says Ralph Vaughan-Williams, edited by Roy Douglas.

Nothing to suggest the version is anything different, AFAICS.

Very difficult choice for 4th section, though, IMHO
  14. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

This was the case last year, but you should not need a ticket for the results.
  15. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Prices have gone up £72 for Portrait for a City, but hey us small fry only get to the finals once in a blue moon!
  16. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

So without playing a note us 2nd section bands are already £322 down :confused:
  17. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

What I meant is, is the usual one not the R. Maldwin Price one?
  18. JR

JR Member

I'm really pleased for my old mate Richard Grantham and it's good there's some new music in there

Force of Destiny and Henry V are extremely short pieces - is Kapitol trying to avoid another Torquay I wonder?

Yet another (seriously short) arrangement of an Overture for 1st section?

I remember playing Henry V in the old second section Area in 1982 - I hope the 4th section front rows like loud top A starts...

19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Exactly my thoughts. And yet another overture to boot. So, between the Senior Trophy and the Areas/Nationals in the last two years the 1st section has had three Frank Wright arrangements, two Berlioz pieces, and three overtures. I'm almost glad we didn't qualify.