2011 City of Sheffield Band Club - Concert Dates and Bands

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by brassintheed, Jan 18, 2011.

1. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Dronfield band tonight under their excellent MD John Davis. Programme above (thanks Fran).
    Dronfield recently qualified for the national finals in the yorkshire section, and are constantly raising their own standards so it's sure to be a good evening.

2. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Yorkshire Imps are making their debut at band club tonight. This really is an excellent band on recent form, and I can guarantee a top quality evening of excellent brass music.

3. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

It's the season finale tomorrow with South Yorkshire Police Band bringing their special touch to the band club.

Remember that in two weeks time it's the prize giving concert - 1st May.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  4. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

PS - last post should of course say tomorrow night, not tonight!!!! I've e-mailed the admin to change it.

Edit: amended, PB, Mod

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  5. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

...and here's our concert program

Police Special Arr Leigh Baker
    On with the Motley (Soprano Solo Wendy Hart) Leoncavallo Arr Ray Farr
    Kraken Chris Hazell Arr Darrol Barry
    Love on the Rocks (Cornet Solo Leisa Mallalieu) Diamond/Becaud Arr P Sparke
    Get Happy Harold Arlen Arr Leigh Baker
    Rutland Water (Baritone Solo Louise Wrigglesworth) Malcolm Bennett
    Puttin’ On The Ritz Irving Berlin Arr S Roberts

The Cossack William Rimmer
    Softly, As I Leave You (Euphonium Duet) Alfred de Vita Arr A Catherall
    Crimond Peter Graham
    Haven’t Met You Yet Arr Gavin Somerset
    He ain’t heavy-He’s my brother (Tenor Horn Solo Ray Speed) Arr B P Crookes
    The Bold Gendarmes (Trombone Trio) Offenbach Arr Edrich Siebert
    The Mansions of The Lord Arr Leigh Baker
    Riverdance Bill Whelan Arr Ray Farr

Encore
    All In The April Evening Hugh S Roberton Arr Eric Ball

6. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

What a turn out it was! I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as we did! :)

7. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Well it's been a fantastic season. Great bands and great audiences. Thanks to everyone who's supported the band club this year.
    Just one last concert to go, and it should be a really good one. City of Sheffield Band will perform this Sunday (1st May) - the last one is usually packed so I'd advise to get there in plenty of time to get a good seat.
    We'll also be presenting the season's awards including the most entertaining band and best soliost.

See you all there for the finale of the 2011 City of Sheffield Band Club.

8. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

The City of Sheffield Band Club held it’s finale and prize giving concert on Sunday May 1st to mark the end of the 2012 season.

The band club has been going from strength to strength and 2012 was it’s most successful yet at it’s new home the Niagara Sports and Social Club in Hillsborough Sheffield. There were full audiences throughout the season to see the vast array of talent from local brass bands. All free to the community to promote brass band music. The final concert was given by the hosts, the City of Sheffield Brass Band, to a packed out hall.

During the evening prizes were awarded to those taking part in the season. Congratulations go to the winners for 2012:

Most Entertaining Band: Dronfield Band under their MD John Davies
    Best Soloist: Adrian Nurney from Yorkshire Imperials for his performance of the Carnival of Venice on Euphonium
    Youngest Player: 10 year old Georgia Kirk from Deepcar Brass Band
    Service to CoS Band Club: John, Jeanette & Gemma Grayson

[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
    We’d also like to thank all the bands taking part this season and the Niagara Sports & Social Club for helping us to host these popular concerts.

The City of Sheffield Band Club will return on Sunday 22nd January 2013. Further details can be found on the bands website http://www.cityofsheffieldbrassband.org.uk

9. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

Are we having a year off?!

10. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

well it wouldn't be the same without my now famous typos!!! Returns 2012, not 2013 of course!! :)

11. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Gosh, have we all won next year's contest too :biggrin:

On a serious note a big thanks to City Of Sheffield from Dronfield Band for the award and congratulations to all the other winners and everyone that took part in the 2011 season. We are looking forward to returning in 2012 to defend another winning title.

12. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

I think I've been listening to Victor Borge's "inflationary language" too much! (PS if you've never been 'five'tunate enough to hear it, you should, it's 'two'derful!!)