2010 spring festival

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tuba1974, May 16, 2010.

1. tuba1974

tuba1974 Member

Hello all, the only link I can find on the spring festival is paddy power so Ive added this, please add your comments about your day,

for me I had a great day and many thanks for letting my band play in the contest, Ive been banding for 30 odd years and it was the first time ive ever done this contest, great choice of music, very good venue, well run contest, every thing you need in the same place, and even got to talk to Martin Mortimer,
    well done to all the bands I no we came 17th, but thats banding,
  2. BoBo

BoBo Member

Yep, my first time too and absolutely agree about the organisation, venue etc. Great atmosphere. Worth a 5 hour drive each way.
  3. hornydevil

hornydevil Member

Fine result for B&D

Well done to everyone at Blackburn & Darwen on a fine result at the Senior Trophy. Off a number 3 draw the band played exceptionally well, soloists were superb and as ever our MD was fab too! :clap:

and not forgetting we also looked smart in our new look uniforms!!!! :tongue:
  4. Does anyone know where the results are?
  5. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Good weekend as always. From what i remember anyway, I was far too busy shaking in a corner before we went on stage and drinking too much after we came off. Dam you year of the dragon, so many highs and lows.

DOGBONE New Member

Exactly my experience of the weekend
  7. nethers

nethers Active Member

In bed in New Zealand, wishing I was there sadly...

Would have loved a crack at that trombone solo against such quality opposition!

Don't miss the liver-destroying amounts of beer at all... :p
  8. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I have to say, Congratulations to Beaumaris in the Trophy.

An exceptional performance of Le Roi d'Ys, simply sparkled from start to finish right the way down the band, and a truly superb euphonium solo.

Tight, composed, and full of artistry. Worthy winners and no mistake. :clap:
  10. barrytone

barrytone Member

Absolutely loved rehearsing YOTD, something for everyone to play and that final movement, what a finale! Hope that we keep it in as an own choice but have a feeling our solo trom may not feel the same way!
  11. nethers

nethers Active Member

Why did you get kicked out of Scotland? :p
  12. diddlydoc

diddlydoc New Member

We had a great trip over from Belfast for the Senior Cup. Disappointed slightly with our blow at Year of the Dragon but finished 12th so we're reasonably happy with our first year back in that section. Great piece especially the 2nd movement (trombone players probably disagree).
  13. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

But a fine win in the league Diddlydoc!!! :clap:
  14. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Hey Paddy, where was the value at this year's festival?
  15. diddlydoc

diddlydoc New Member

Yes Paddy - that was some consolation when I came home and seen the league table. Pity I've been so poor in predicting all the other contests - lol. Woodfalls clinched it for me. Only backed them because they stayed in the same hotel as us in Blackpool.
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  16. diddlydoc

diddlydoc New Member

Forgot to add, having heard Woodfalls on the day, they were outstanding and very worthy winners.
  17. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Well obviously anyone taking Tredegar @ 22/1 (my first price :oops:) would have a big smile on their face. In my defence that price was issued on 21st Jan before Yeovil, the Welsh Open & then their stunning area win @ Swansea.

This quadruple has come in at odds of around 122/1, so taking no chances now for The Masters, i've got them @ 3/1.

Frontman will be kicking himself that he didn't go e/w with his £20 on Pemberton @ 25/1 on 3rd Feb

Woodfalls started out @ 14/1 for the Cup before closing on 7/1
    Did anyone take Dick the Stick & Dalmellington e/w @ 66/1 ? - mercifully not...

I'm a bit smug over the Trophy result, Beaumaris & Zone One were always my 1-2:cool: Did anyone take Friary e/w @ 66/1 ? (12th Feb) - I don't think so :wink:

EYMS were popular but failed to deliver (again) and Aveley & Newham cost people a fair few virtual bucks as did Hebden Bridge so I think on the whole Paddy stuck his tatty old leather bag under his arm with a fair bit of cash in it a left Blackpool with a spring in his step ;)
  18. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

As bookies generally do, cheers Paddy!