2009 RAH Test-Piece Announced

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by brassbandmaestro, Apr 30, 2009.

1. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

The test piece for the 2009 National Championships of Great Britain have been announced on 4brarsrest.com. This is going to be a joint venture between kapitol UK and Federation of Australasian Brass Bands. This has been, sources from 4barsrest, an artistic collaboration between Professor David King and these two bbs organisations.

...and the composer is Peter Graham, in a tribute to Eric Ball, who died in 1989. PG says that Eric Ball is still considered to be one of the best composers.

The test piece is called: The Torchbearer, 'Symphonic Variations and Metarmorphosis on a theme of Eric Ball'
  2. David Chaulk

David Chaulk New Member

Can't wait to play it:D
  3. brassbandmaestro

I was just thinking the other day, that it's about time that Peter Graham be given another commison from Kapitol UK.
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

The cynic in me was fully expecitng it to be Variations on a theme of Gilbert Vinter - and I doubt I'm alone in that!

Always good to see a new commission though. Peter Graham is one of my favourite writers, and the combination created by his interpretation on Eric Ball should be a cracker.

Hopefully, I'll be able to attend the RAH this year. Looking forward to it even more now.... :D
  5. sandy

sandy New Member

lower section finals test pieces

Now that the championship section test piece has been announced for the national finals
    does any one know when the lower section test pieces will be also be announced?
    thank you
  6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

7. PSB Tom

PSB Tom Member

Madness that the lower section finals pieces are announced so late, it gives bands only 2/3 months to work on the piece with a possible summer break in-between!

Does anyone know if there will be a recording of 'The Torchbearer: Symphonic Variations and Metarmorphosis on a theme of Eric Ball' released prior to the RAH?
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

If they do the same as they did with "battle creek" there won't be a recording until after the contest - which does help to remove any preconceptions on interpretation.
  9. tubalation

tubalation Member

10. brassbandmaestro

It's quite a good march, if I remember rightly. Is that the one on Dyke's EB tribute cd? Cant teremember off hand.
  11. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

Not Quite, you are thinking of Torch Of Freedom I think. The Torchbearers was a march written during his time in the SA for the Annual sessional commissioning of new officers some time during the 40's I think. Each year the Session would be given a name that year it was the Torchbearers and there is a song to the tune I think as well. They only get a song these days. But there are quite a few SA marches written for the same reason.

Both Torch of Freedom and Torchbearers were played by Black Dyke and ISB at there tribute concert in Nottingham. Torch of Freedom does nod at Torchbearers a little.

I am keen to hear this piece as I am interested to see how he will treat the melody from the march and how much of the March will remain intact within the piece. PG wrote a piece some years ago for the New York Staff band called Wonderful town where whole sections of several SA marches appear interwoven with famous American/Broadway songs. So I am interested to see what he has in mind. Plus its not the first time EB's music has had this type of treatment so I want to see how it compares with Born to Battle (Brenton Broadstock) and Pilgrims Progess (Rodney Newton).
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  12. Hi

Does anybody know when and where the test piece will be available for bands to buy? As our 1st time in the championship section finals, as a band we are keen to get cracking!
  13. Stephen Bourne

Stephen Bourne New Member

Torchbearer; where to get it.

'The Torchbearer', which will published by Gramercy Music, will only be available to bands competing in the British 'National' from the dealers listed below.
    Band Supplies
    7 Hunslet Road
    Leeds LS10 1JQ
    Tel: 0113 245 3097
    Just Music
    246 Auldhouse Road
    East Kilbride G75 9DX
    Tel: 01355 245674
    Kirklees Music
    609 Bradford Road
    Bailiff Bridge
    Brighouse HD6 4DN
    Tel: 01484 722855
    Trevada Music
    9 Chapel Street
    Cornwall TR14 8EF
    Tel: 01209 711191
  14. brassbandmaestro

That sounds a bit daft, 'only available to competing bands'. Surely that's wrong?
  15. Stephen Bourne

It does sound strange

ALthough it sounds strange, that is what it says on the website of Kapitol Promotions. It won't be out until July.

There are a number of things that I think Kapitol Promotions could do with some advice on. This sort of thing is only the tip of the iceberg.

16. brassbandmaestro

Rather narrow minded, really. I am surprised, rather narrow minded.
  17. Stephen Bourne

Narrow minded and short-sighted. No commercial nouse at all.
  18. HBB

HBB Active Member

They paid rather a large amount of money for it (I would imagine), therefore they can choose who plays it and when. Don't worry, I'm sure you can buy it after it's been premiered. ;)
  19. brassbandmaestro

I havn't been to the London Finals for over a decade now, for one reason or another, do they sell scores on the day still?
  20. Stephen Bourne

Short scores for a tenner last year.
    Last year was the first time I had been for some 25 years. I couldn't believe how easy to get tickets it was. The place was only half full even for the most popular bands. The bars were empty because instead of having draft beer and food there is expensive bottled beer so everyone was round the corner at the pub or Imperial College bar. The results were given to a half empty hall too. I had a great day out but was left with the feeling that this event is poorly promoted and that major opportunities went by. I have worked in marketing for some years and I believe even my gap year student would be able to get more bums on seats.