2009 RAH Final 17/10/09

Discussion in '2009 National Championships of Great Britain' started by brassneck, Oct 14, 2009.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's a rumour that a major contest is being held in Kensington on Saturday. Anyone heard anything about this? :rolleyes:

Seriously, it looks like it's going to be a good competition that I'll miss. Peter Graham's test-piece, Torchbearer, looks like it will test the musicality of bands with the different flavours of Eric Ball suggested in the score. Are there any tMPers, who are competing, enjoying the piece?

2. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

I'll be there.

Love the piece. Not looking forward to the first note though!

3. Nijinsky

Nijinsky New Member

4. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

Hmmmm!

Odd that the errata was already published on Kapitol's website BEFORE the Monday rehearsal.

5. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Accordingto Peter Graham there has been further additions to that errata since the Monday rehearsal. I for one take his statement as fact. Dyke conspiracy theorists again? Black Dyke were merely helping out the composer by allowing him to hear the piece performed as a tool to perfect it..... He was bound to pick a quality band to listen to playing the piece wasn't he? If he had gone to some bands rehearsals there could have been the risk of more individual errors which i assume would make it harder to decifer if it was him or them!
    At least when those bands get a **** result they can say it was a fix!!

6. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Not playing , but from all I've heard about the piece , and the snippets in the write-up in BB , I can't wait !! I have an ( almost !) perks-like devotion to Eric Ball , and I've never played / heard a Peter Graham work that I didn't like so all the boxes are ticked !

As regards the attendance at Dyke's rehearsal , a case of "move along , nothing to see" ? He played no role in the rehearsal other than listening , and from my reading of the 4br piece had met with the adjudicators prior to this ?

Anyway , looking forward to a good day. Hope Redbridge and Zone One give a good account of themselves ( Good luck Chris , Chris and Keith !! ) . If Cory do the "Slam" I'll be able to do a Max Boyce and say "I was there" ! :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  7. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

Come on CORY. :clap:

8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

good luck to all competing bands today!

9. David Mann

David Mann Member

Very interesting draw, wonder if that will change the predictions? Most of the favourites in the first half.
    Courtesy of 4BR:
    Black Dyke, Dr. Nicholas Childs, 5
    Camborne Town, Richard Evans, 12
    Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, Russell Gray, 11
    Co-operative Funeralcare, Michael Fowles, 1
    Cory, Dr. Robert Childs, 6
    Desford Colliery, James Gourlay, 7
    East Yorkshire Motor Services, Jason Katsikaris, 15
    Fairey, Philip Chalk, 13
    Flowers, Paul Holland, 14
    Fodens, Garry Cutt, 9
    Hepworth (Cookson Homes), Frank Renton, 10
    Kirkintilloch, Selmer Simonsen, 8
    Newstead Brass, Duncan Beckley, 20
    Northop, Thomas Wyss, 2
    Pemberton Old Wigan DW, Mark Bentham, 16
    Redbridge Brass, Jeremy Wise, 4
    Reg Vardy, Stephen Roberts, 3
    Rothwell Temperance, David Roberts, 19
    Tredegar, Ian Porthouse, 17
    Zone One, Richard Ward, 18

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Results:

1. Black Dyke, Dr. Nicholas Childs, 5
    2. Fodens, Garry Cutt, 9
    3. Cory, Dr. Robert Childs, 6
    4. Rothwell Temperance, David Roberts, 19
    5. Reg Vardy, Stephen Roberts, 3
    6. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, Russell Gray, 11

Best instrumentalist:
    Glyn Williams, Foden's

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=10592

11. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Good!! I am happy!! Dyke won!! Now come on you conspiracy theorists!! More or less what i thought would happen.

12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

FULL Results:

1. Black Dyke, Dr. Nicholas Childs, 5
    2. Fodens, Garry Cutt, 9
    3. Cory, Dr. Robert Childs, 6
    4. Rothwell Temperance, David Roberts, 19
    5. Reg Vardy, Stephen Roberts, 3
    6. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, Russell Gray, 11
    7. Flowers, Paul Holland, 14
    8. Camborne Town, Richard Evans, 12
    9. Co-operative Funeralcare, Michael Fowles, 1
    10. Newstead Brass, Duncan Beckley, 20
    11. Fairey, Philip Chalk, 13
    12. Zone One, Richard Ward, 18
    13. Hepworth (Cookson Homes), Frank Renton, 10
    14. Tredegar, Ian Porthouse, 17
    15. Redbridge Brass, Jeremy Wise, 4
    16. Desford Colliery, James Gourlay, 7
    17. Kirkintilloch, Selmer Simonsen, 8
    18. Northop, Thomas Wyss, 2
    19. Pemberton Old Wigan DW, Mark Bentham, 16
    20. East Yorkshire Motor Services, Jason Katsikaris, 15

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=10592

13. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Followed this on 4BR live. I know its only an opinion but they said
    "The one band that played well above itself and may well get in the mix is EYMS for us – a great effort."
    Seems strange that EYMS finished last then - especially when 4BR appear to have agreed with the adjudicators on the top four bands.

Perhaps Stephen Meads comments from a couple weeks ago are ringing true again.

14. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

An enjoyable day though for me the test peice didn't live up to the hype...enjoyable enough but just lacked that something.

Can't argue with the top 4 although I had fodens to win

But some of the lower places are baffling to me

Special mention to Zone One what a classy show and as 4br said all very nicely in place. They had the player of the day for me .....no not euph (bound to be a Euph Instrumentalist winner...mind you Mr Williams was awesome) but the Sop player first class, no idea who it was but congratulations!!!!!

Also have to congratulate Cory on doing what a lot of bands don't for 45 mins after a contest and thats entertain with showy numbers well done guys....

Please no conspiracies just enjoy the day for what it was.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  15. Al

Al Member

Sounds a good day.

What did Cory play for the concert?

16. Ste69

Ste69 Member

"The one band that played well above itself and may well get in the mix is EYMS for us – a great effort." - 4BR

In the words of Homer Simpson............. "D'OH"

Never mind fellas - I'm sure it was a great performance and sorry I wasn't there to hear it.

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Craig Burnett is Zone One's sop and is a very fine player (also on piccolo trumpet in symphonic brass ensembles). He stood in as Principal Cornet for a while but it was good to see him back in the sop chair.

(Edit: spelling corrected :oops: )

Enjoyed the day a great deal, and also pretty much in agreement re the top 4, although I thought Fodens probably shaded it. A little surprised that Desford were as far down, but there were a few blips. Listened to 18 out of the 20 bands, and had fun spotting the references to various Eric Ball works.

Cory's items (taken from the programme, as we left after the last band had played): Enter the Galaxies, Torchbearers, Suo Gan (Chris Thomas, trom), Sing, sing, sing, Brillante (David Childs, euph), An American Tale

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  18. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

back on the day a young lad called Craig played with us (Brackley) for a year (2nd place in 2nd section nationals) -is the the same fella?

the test would be a a 'yabba-dabba-do' contest, the Craig who played with us could take on fred flinstone and win!

19. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

A great day! And a pretty packed Albert Hall, which was nice.

Black Dyke were brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I especially loved their band braces - in Dyke colours.

Cory's mini concert was fantastic (they also played Highland Cathedral as an encore).

And I was very pleased to see Zone One do so well too - they were good. :clap:

20. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member