2009 British Open

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by brassneck, Aug 27, 2009.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Well, this year's Open is almost upon us and I am looking forward to listening to the bands tackling Titan's Progress by Hermann Pallhuber. The piece, originally written for Brass Band Oberösterreich, seems tailor-made for Symphony Hall's acoustics in my opinion. I expect that most competitors will have begun preparation for the event so what are your impressions of the work and does it allow enough freedom of interpretation to generate that "X Factor" to wow the judges?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    2009 British Open Well
    X Factor
    Open
    Titan
    Hermann Pallhuber
  3. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

Open 09

Not back to full band till 3rd Sept following summer break, will not get a true insight view on piece till then. A week's reh with Mr Withington will then insue...

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

is it the same extended version that he did for leyland for the 2008 rncm boc fest?

5. BariPower

BariPower Member

I've been told there are some changes from the version that Leyland did - looking forward to hearing it again!

6. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

They sent us the wrong one, and we had to return it for replacement. Our original one was 19 minutes long, new one is 17 minutes, if I remember correctly.

Tim.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Interesting ... the Oberösterreich performance is about 17 mins. Difficult to call on this one!

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As I understand it, the main changes - and I don't they are all that drastic - are to beef up the baritone and euphonium parts (so Mr Perks should be happy ;) )

I'm looking forward to seeing what the bands make of it, as I reckon a lot will come down to interpretation rather than note-bashing. It should certainly please those who say they want a good tune, but I reckon there are a lot of subtleties to be teased out of the music.

9. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

My parts the same Aidan... although some of the time signatures are different, with the end result being the same. It's pretty much the version we did.

10. Can I just correct a few misrepresentations here. There is neither a short nor an extended version of Titan's Progress. The work published for the Open is the same length as that first performed by Brass Band Oberösterreich. Some changes were made by the composer following that first performance ahead of it's selection for the Swiss Open. The most obvious being the extended flugel solo in the middle is now shared between flugel and baritone, but some trombone writing/chordal work was changed and also some of the more tricky time signatures were altered/simplified.

In the score published for the Swiss Open the length was given as 19 minutes, this was simply a mistake, a typing error, and it was subsequently corrected when the score and parts were published for the British Open. There were a few other things 'corrected' from the Swiss Open version, not least incorporating a number of errata issued for that contest.

Once Faber Music was notified that the piece was being selected for the British Open it was withdrawn from sale to allow for a new version to be printed. According to our records, only two bands performing at next month's contest had purchased the score/parts of the previous version so as a courtesy to them, as their set was now redundant and they had already paid their money, they received replacement sets free of charge.

I hope this clears up any issues on this thread, and can I wish every band competing next month the very best of luck!

Phillip Littlemore
    (on behalf of Faber Music)

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that, Philip. Good to see a publisher reacting so positively :clap:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    2009 British Open Well
    X Factor
    Open
    Titan
    Hermann Pallhuber
  13. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Is it possible to buy a score on its own before the contest?

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... you can buy the short score here (or full score/parts if you really want to) :cool::tup

15. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

well done cory, another day another pot.

16. who's gone down anyone know? well done yorkshire 3 in the top 6

17. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

18. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Apart from the top few I see 4bars predictions were way out - said Whitburn should be in the top few, and came second last. Kirky were 'like being hit in the face with a wet haddock' but beat Hepworth, Rothwell etc. Missed playing in it this year but don't so much miss the feeling of confusion/bewilderment when the results come out! That's the 'beauty of banding' apparently! Still, half of the stuff on 4bars is drivel anyway. Sorry, did I say half? Maybe three quarters.

19. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Well done Cory Band!! Good to see Brighouse doing well, and well done to Dyke! Although its a lot better to be first!

20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Nice result for Leyland - well done folks :D

21. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

No real suprises with the top results then .... Well done Cory :)

22. critic

critic Member

btm and hammonds i think. well done to the prize winners