2009 Belgian National Brass Band Championships

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jan H, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Tomorrow, November 28th, the 31st Belgian National Brass Band Championships will be organized by VLAMO, the Flemish Amateur Music Association. This year, the contest will be held in the concert hall of the Lemmens Institute Conservatory in Leuven (because the concert hall of the Brussels Royal Conservatory is being renovated).

Participants

Championship section:
    test piece: Eden - John Pickard

Brassband Buizingen - Luc Vertommen
    Brassband Willebroek - Frans Violet
    Festival Brass Band - Manu Mellaerts
    Kortrijk Brass Band - Lieven Maertens
    Metropole Brass Band - Guy Audenaert
    Noord-Limburgse Brassband - Ivan Meylemans

First section:
    test piece: Royal Parks - George Lloyd + own choice piece

Brass Band Heist - Bert Van Thienen
    Brass Band Leieland - Wouter Loose
    Brassband Zele - Bart Van Der Strieckt

Second section:
    test piece: Trittico - James Curnow + own choice piece

Brassband Panta Rhei Gent - Paul Voet
    Brassband Scaldis - Erwin Pallemans

Third section:
    test piece: Resurgam - Eric Ball + own choice piece

Brass a Musica - Michael Dils
    Brassband 'De Grensbewoners' Smeermaas - Danny Aerden
    Brassband Euterpe Merchtem - Roland Van Buggenhout
    Brassband Gent - Lieven Dobbelaere
    Kon. Brassband Retie - Kevin Houben
    Brassband Hageland - Tim Van Medegael

Schedule

Morning session: (9u.30):
    set pieces of 3rd, 2nd and 1st section
    adjudicators: John Berryman, Fred Harles en Dirk Lautenbach

Afternoon session:
    own choise pieces 3rd, 2nd and 1st section
    set pieces championship section
    adjudicators: David Read, Malcolm Brownbill en Derek Broadbent

Proclamation: ca. 20u.30

Adjudication is blind, but from this year on, the three adjudicators are seated together in a single box

2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Is it just me or does every other national championship include an own choice element except the UK?

Personally I think it's a good idea. It gives more than one set of criteria the adjudicators can use to assess a band against and will give a more complete test of their capability.

3. Jan H

No, the Dutch Nationals are set piece only, as is the championship section in Belgium
    The reason our championship bands don't have to play an own choice piece any more, is the fact that otherwhise they couldn't fit the contest in one day. Expanding the contest to two days is apparanetly not an option (for financial reasons).
    On the othe rhand you must remember that our bands compete much less than the average British contesting band, so they don't have so much opportunities to do own choice contests

4. Jan H

I'm expecting some heated debates in the coming days...

Here are the results of the Belgian Nationals' jury:

Championship section:
    test piece: Eden - John Pickard

1. Brassband Buizingen - Luc Vertommen - 95
    2. Noord-Limburgse Brassband - Ivan Meylemans - 94
    3. Brassband Willebroek - Frans Violet - 93
    4. Festival Brass Band - Manu Mellaerts - 92
    5. Metropole Brass Band - Guy Audenaert - 89
    6. Kortrijk Brass Band - Lieven Maertens - 87

Buizingen to represent Belgium in Linz at the European Championships

First section:
    test piece: Royal Parks - George Lloyd + own choice piece

1. Brass Band Heist - Bert Van Thienen - 92 (Sounds - John Golland)
    2. Brassband Zele - Bart Van Der Strieckt - 89.5 (Chain - Piet Swerts)
    3. Brass Band Leieland - Wouter Loose - ??? (Dances and Arias - Edward Gregson)

Heist promoted to the championship section after two consecutive wins in 1st.

Second section:
    test piece: Trittico - James Curnow + own choice piece

1. Brassband Panta Rhei Gent - Paul Voet - 89 (Purcell variants - Peter Meechan)
    2. Brassband Scaldis - Erwin Pallemans - 89 (The Saga of Haakon the Good - Philip Sparke)

Panta Rhei had more points on the set test piece

Third section:
    test piece: Resurgam - Eric Ball + own choice piece

1. Brassband Gent - Lieven Dobbelaere - 88 (Toccata Festiva - Jan Van der Roost)
    2. Brassband 'De Grensbewoners' Smeermaas - Danny Aerden - 85.5 (The Saga of Haakon the Good - Philip Sparke)
    3. Brassband Euterpe Merchtem - Roland Van Buggenhout - 83.5 (Three Part Invention - Kenneth Downie)
    4. Kon. Brassband Retie - Kevin Houben - 82 (St. Michael's Mount - Eric Ball)
    5. Brass a Musica - Michael Dils - 81.5 (Royal Parks - George Lloyd)
    6. Brassband Hageland - Tim Van Medegael - 81.5 (Dark Side of the Moon - Paul Lovatt-Cooper)

All in all a very enjoyable (yet tiring) day. I was especially pleased by the standard of playing in the lower section. The championship section was amazing (and Derek Broadbent agreed with that), although I had the top 4 in a slightly different order. Anyway, many congratulations to Luc Vertommen and Brass Band Buizingen. Years of hard work finally paying off!

Probably the most talked about event of the day: A couple of minutes into the own choice piece of Brass Band Zele, the band's solo horn suddenly stood up from his seat, walked off stage and left the hall. Apparently nobody knew where he went...
    Somehow the band still managed to come in second, even with a big horn solo missing from the own choice piece...

second most talked about point: the bariton solo in Eden: at least two bands had the bariton solo played by the solo euphonium. In one band, the solo baritone handed his instrument to the solo euph. In another band, the euph player just carried an extra baritone on stage...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Some result for Buizingen. Looks like they have got that consistency at last! Don't know much about Noord-Limburgse though!

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

When you said the adjudication was "blind", did you mean "closed"?

7. Jan H

yes :redface: that was a litteral translation from Dutch...

you should at least recognize the conductor's name :rolleyes:
    they were second last year too (after Festival) and played the composers' contest at the Europeans in Oostende.
    I guess this result shows that there are now 4 bands in Belgium that are very close, and any of them can win. Especially with the "set piece only" format...

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Yup ... I should have paid attention to who was conducting them ... :oops: I've always appreciated Buizingen's playing and hopefully they will show at the Europeans next year what their true potential is.

9. SMead

SMead Member

Congratulations Luc Vertommen and all at BB Buizingen. A victory well deserved after years of hard patient work.. Bravo !!:clap:

10. Thirteen Ball

:eek: Crikey!

That'd be illegal over here. I'm pretty sure the rules state that a brass player can't play more than one brass instrument unless directed to do so by the score. (Though we can quite happily stand up and hit percussion if we like.)

So to take on an extra flugel for the 2nd flugel part in Roccoco variations for example, would be fine - but to do what you've described above would most likely result in disqualification.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2009
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Belgian
    National Brass Band Championships
    VLAMO
    Flemish Amateur Music Association
    National Brass Band Championships Tomorrow
  12. Jan H

it was not the winning band who did it, so I guess no one is going to file a complaint here...

13. Thirteen Ball

I suppose it's better than playing it on a different instrument, as so often happens in our championships....

14. euphoria

euphoria Member

I can´t even begin to imagine what must have been going on in the conductors mind when that happened :eek:. I would have soiled my pants if it had happened to me.

I once played an outdoor concert at Schönbrunn Castle in Vienna when two of the horn players fainted due to heat exhaustion, but I have never heard of anything like what happened to this Belgian band - I hope the horn player is OK!

Erik

15. Jan H

Apparently the player wasn't feeling feel. I don't know if he was really ill, or if it was nerves...

The band played on, but it was clear that the concentration was gone, and the conductor wasn't as "enthusiastic" in his stick wagging as he had been before...
    The band did loose a lot of points on the own choice piece, but they still managed 2nd place (out of 3) because of the set piece points