2009 awards

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by anorak1, Nov 23, 2009.

1. anorak1

anorak1 New Member

Before 4barsrest do their annual awards cermony who do you think has been the 'Band of the Year' and who would you nominate as your 'Player of the year'

thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Band of the Year
    Year
    annual awards cermony
    barsrest
    thanks
  3. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

Band of The Year = Cory
    Player of the Year = Ian Williams (Cory) or Glyn Williams (Foden's)

4. bandtaximum

bandtaximum New Member

Band of the year - Youth Brass 2000 (What a year!)
    Player of the year - Sarah Lenton (am biaised thou!!!)

5. j.e.collins

j.e.collins New Member

Lower section band of the year must be Oldham Band (Lees).
    Their 5th incredible year with 3 wins a 2nd and a 3rd!
    Over £4000 in the contesting bank.
    Promotion from the 2nd to the 1st section within a year and moved up into the top 100 ranked bands, surely must be in with a shout.
    Oh yes, their junior band (Bare Trees) came runners up to Youth Brass at Tameside youth contest too!

6. Captain Cymru

Captain Cymru Member

Band of the Year: Tongwynlais Temperance Band
    National First Section Champions and Pontins Champions as a First Section Band.
    Conductor of the Year: Philip Harper
    Player of the Year: Martyn Patterson

7. Eb master

Eb master Member

8. cookie101880

cookie101880 Member

Also to add to Oldham band awards , by winning the area in 2009 we became the only band ever to record five consecutive area wins in a row and also with winning Pontins we are now up there with just two other bands who have won the contest four times!!!! ( Four out of five years!)

To add a victory at Hebden Bridge march contest and the soloist prize at the finals all in all it's been a pretty good year!

9. tkhbss

tkhbss Member

Band of the year - difficult to choose between Cory (European and Open Champions) and Dyke (English and National Champion and that amazing Whit Friday trophy haul). Player of the year Ian Williams at Cory - what a career!

10. Eb master

Eb master Member

11. ericthered

ericthered Member

4BR Band of the Year will most likely be Cory or Dyke.
    4BR Player of the Year will most likely be from Cory or Dyke.
    4BR Performance of the Year will most likely be from Cory or Dyke.
    4BR Conductor of the Year will most likely be from Cory or Dyke.
    4BR Norwegian Band of the Year will most likely be Cory or Dyke.
    4BR Tea Person of the Year will most likely be from Cory or Dyke.
    4BR Percussionist of the Year will most likely be from Cory or Dyke.

There is a pattern emerging and yes the person who makes the tea out ranks any percussionist. At least in my band where the tea person plays the piano...badly but makes them automatically more musical than any shed builder.

[Light firework, stand well back!]

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Band of the Year
    Year
    annual awards cermony
    barsrest
    thanks
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

So long as piece of the year goes to Torchbearer - not whaleforce....

14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Don't forget, they always nominate 4-5 bands each year. Who else wiil get nominated besides Dyke and Cory?

I reckon Fodens, Tongwynlais and Fountain City.

Player of the Year nominees? I'm guessing the usual suspects...
    Glyn Williams, Les Niesh, David Childs, Richard Marshall

15. Eb master

Eb master Member

Player of the Year nominees? I'm guessing the usual suspects...
    Glyn Williams, Les Niesh, David Childs, Richard Marshall[/quote]

And me!!!

16. ericthered

ericthered Member

And me!!![/quote]

If you look like your picture Eb master, I'd vote for you...twice ;) but you play Eb so you won't :mad:

17. Ali

Ali Member

Cory for bans of the year.
    Glyn Williams for player and special award for services to banding should go to Jason Katsikaris for everything he has brought and done for british banding and in such a short space of time.

18. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

Isn't Cory a bit predictable for BotY? They only did as well as expected as is the case most years. Surely there is a more deserving band, one that has far exceeded expectations and achieved exceptional success. This may be at a lower level, but it doesn't make that achievement any less deserving.

19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Thinking along those lines, perhaps Rothwell?

I mean, they've not had a bad ol' year have they? Really taken the fight to the more established names at every opportunity.

20. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I can't possibly see how tongwynlais can be band of the year, they won the 1st section nationals, against 1st section bands, and Pontins, which lets be honest isn't the strongest of competitions!
    When they played against some better opposition, i.e. wychavon, they did not do so well!

As has been said i agree with most in that Cory or Dyke will be band of the year

21. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

So, for a first section band they...
    WON - 1st section Nationals
    WON - Championship Section at Pontins
    4th - Championship Section Wychavon

Now if you are saying "Band of the Year" should be for the band that proved themselves the best in the world over the year...T-lais shouldn't get it.

If the criteria is who , given the year's outlook on Jan 1st, made the most of it, then I think TLais are right there...at the least they should win "Lower Section/Youth Band of the Year"

22. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

Yep, good call. They might not have achieved the heights of Dyke or Cory, but relative to their ability I think they have punched far above their weight. Giving it to Dyke or Cory again makes it just seem even more like a closed shop, where they clean up just for doing what was expected and what they do every year.

To make either of them BotY is predictable and easy, a safe choice that wouldn't court too much controversy. Dyke or Cory it'll be in that case, it is a 4br awarded accolade after all!