2009 Areas Rehearsal Schedules

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dr Feelgood, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Dr Feelgood

Dr Feelgood New Member

Being in the middle of daily rehearsals for the areas on Sunday I am intersted to know what other bands do in preparation and how we all cope? - work commitments, baby - sitting etc

And, do we all think it's worth it?

2. superjobby

superjobby Member

We've only had Monday off this week.. So that's Sunday, Tuesday, Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat (and Sun) rehearsals.. Not to mention the sectionals, which are still going on.

It can be tough, because people have lives of their own, (myself not included, I'll be at every one!) but ultimately it will be worth it in the end if we pull it out the bag on Sunday.

Personally I enjoy the build up to a contest, but I know others struggle with it, and it can seem pretty pointless if a result is not forthcoming. If you win though, Happy Days!

3. Columbo

Columbo Member

Yes it can be a nightmare! We have rehearsed every night also, but getting a full band is impossible in these times! and from 8-10pm is also difficult. To quote a cliche, You only get out what you put in, and I believe that ,so good luck to you guys (Whoever you are), unless you are in our section! Only Kidding!

4. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Weve done sunday, monday, thursday friday so far, then sunday, monday, tuesday, thursday, friday next week. All full bands aside from last night - commitment from the band this year has been first rate. Does make a difference - ive played in bands that genuinely thought they had a chance of winning having done one extra pre area rehearsal... suprisingly, they never did!

5. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

We rehearse once a week for two and a half hours. We started rehearsing the test piece after the Christmas holidays, although we spend a good chunk of time in each rehearsal doing other repertoire as well. Most members of the band are there every week although I don't think we've yet had one rehearsal with EVERYONE there!

In the week leading up to the contest, we'll have 2 extra rehearsals during the week and then a 4 hour rehearsal the day before the contest.

Last night at rehearsal, our MD was wondering whether we should have an early morning rehearsal on the day of the contest before driving up to Stevenage!

6. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

We usually rehearse two nights a week, but we have rehearsed every day since last Sunday and were doing a rehearsal in Blackpool before we play at the contest! Talk about having your lip in shape! haha

7. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

The truth is in the result I suppose!

8. Squeaker

Squeaker Member

Sounds like a lot of bands are having rehearsals near enough every day of the week. Few problems with that:
    1. You can over-do it. Players need rest and will tire as the week goes on.
    2. If not every rehearsal is a full one.. what's the point? It will only de-moralise players.
    3. Only the elite bands can expect every player to turn up every night of the week.

The final week should be for putting finishing touches to the piece. The work should mainly be done as a band before that, and players need to work hard on the piece at home.
    That's how I feel about it anyway, I certainly wouldn't be happy, or able to do every night of the week. Plus, I'd get bored!

9. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Miss half of them and go to the pub, it will do you more good....who wants to play variations on hootenany (new world sketches) 7 days a week, must be real saddos.:biggrin:

10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

As my missus is playing 3rd percussion for my band, we've had to use a local babysitter to look after Alto Trumpet. I think the babysitter might go on holiday after the areas, as she's had over £300 of us already and there 3 weeks to go before the L&SC contest!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Areas Rehearsal Schedules Being
    Areas Rehearsal Schedules
    middle of daily rehearsals
    work commitments
    Sunday
  12. For the week before our areas we have Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday planned and then Saturday morning before it all kicks off at 1pm. At the moment we're rehearsing 3 nights a week with some sectionals going on. I'll be there, I prefer skiving uni and going to band - I learn more life skills at band, haha!

13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Our band would usually only do two extra rehearsals the week befor contest

14. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Personally I'd like to add more rehersals before the Regionals than we currently do, however the trouble with adding more rehersals is actually getting the people there. It's seems pointless with only half a band.

15. ashwortdn

ashwortdn Member

we had extra rehearsals this week and they paid off

16. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

OMG...! I wish... :eek:

17. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

Blimey that is a heavy schedule, we do 2 hrs once a week and have made it twice a week in the 2 weeks prior to the area plus about 1hr on Sat morning - it felt like more than enough!!

18. bbg

bbg Member

Our standard rehearsal time is 3 hours on a Sunday evening. In preparation for the Scottish Championships, we've had a full residential weekend which was excellent this year - never less than 25/26 at any session, everyone in the band plus "reserves" made it to at least one full day even allowing for work commitments. Up until this year, we've had Tue and/or Wed rehearsals for 4 weeks or so before the contest but not this year as a) we don't own our hall and it's booked on other nights and b) with several of the band being students in Aberdeen and Glasgow, others now living in Edinburgh, and others having part-time evening jobs we have absolutely no chance of getting anything like a full band out. The benefit of the contest being in Dundee this year, and the 2nd section being in the afternoon, is that we can have a decent get-together on the Saturday morning - not a "big blow" but a more relaxed look at wee details than usually happens at silly-o'clock in the morning.

19. piston

piston Member

of course its not worth it to get so hooked on something. All that a contest should do is push a band forwards. If all the bands played really well, a good band would by default would have to lose. So would that band get what it deserved? And its such a subjective process that it seems odd to stake that much on it. I'll be playing my socks off on the day no more no less.

20. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

We've had two rehearsals as usual, with the odd Sunday chucked in...no extra rehearsals planned until next week, when I think we only have 2 nights off (must check that lol!)...

21. duckman

duckman New Member

For the band I conduct: One rehearsal a week plus a couple of longer Sunday rehearsals that can be broken down into sectionals, plus an extra rehearsal the Friday before the Area (a Sunday) and an hour or so for warm-up/focusing on the day.

For the band I play in: One rehearsal a week until last fortnight when it's two a week. Plus sectionals as required , one full-day Sunday rehearsal with some 'pros' and a rehearsal with a consultant conductor to shake us up. And a rehearsal the day before the contest, plus maybe something on the day.

Previous band I was in it was every night for the week running up to the contest. I used to take the week off work to make sure I was able to get to rehearsals on time...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Areas Rehearsal Schedules Being
    Areas Rehearsal Schedules
    middle of daily rehearsals
    work commitments
    Sunday