2007 Spring Festival Results & Discussion

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by TheMusicMan, May 3, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Bands and adjudicators for this years Spring Festival announced

THE BRITISH OPEN BRASS BAND CHAMPIONSHIP Established 1853
    in association with Leisure Parcs presents the 87th Spring Brass Band Festival at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool on Saturday 19th May from 10:00.

Adjudicators: Ian Brownbill, Steven Mead, Alan Morisson, James Gourlay, David Read, Frank Renton

Grand Shield
    Test piece – The Night to Sing - Bramwell Tovey

FIRST PRIZE: £800 and THE GRAND CHALLENGE SHIELD
    SECOND PRIZE £600 and THE MIDLAND MUSIC TROPHY
    THIRD PRIZE £400 and THE SAXBY TROPHY
    FOURTH PRIZE £300

ALLIANCE BRASS John Clark
    ASHTON UNDER LYNE Phil Chalk
    B T M Jason Katsikaris
    B.T. Michael Fowles
    BURRY PORT TOWN M. Thorne
    FISHBURN Richard Evans
    LEYLAND Russell Gray
    MOUNT CHARLES Garry E Cutt
    NEWSTEAD WELFARE Duncan Beckley
    PENNINE BRASS Ian Porthouse
    POLYSTEEL Phillip Harper
    REDBRIDGE Melvin White
    SELLERS INTERNATIONAL Phillip McCann
    SOVEREIGN BRASS Trevor Jones
    STAFFORDSHIRE David Maplestone
    TONGWYNLAIS TEMPERANCE SILVER. Gareth Pritchard
    TREDEGAR Alan Ramsey
    VITUOSI GUS David Stowell
    YORKSHIRE IMPERIAL URQUART TRAVEL Ray Farr

THE SENIOR CUP

QUALIFYING CONTEST FOR THE 2008 GRAND SHIELD
    TEST PIECE – Dances and Alleluias - Philip Sparke

FIRST PRIZE £600 and THE BELLE VUE 100 GUINEA CHALLENGE CUP SECOND PRIZE £400 and THE JACK FEARNLEY TROPHY
    THIRD PRIZE £300
    FOURTH PRIZE £200

ALDBOURNE David Barringer
    BESSES O`TH BARN John Hinckley
    BOURNMOUTH CONCERT BRASS David Hayward
    CWMAMAN INSTITUTE SILVER (TOWER COLLIERY) Nigel Seamen
    DALMELLINGTON A.K. Hutchison
    EAST YORKSHIRE MOTOR SERVICES Jim Davies
    FRECKLETON Paul Dalton
    INNOVATE SKELMANTHORPE John Roberts
    JAGUAR {COVENTRY} Dave Lea
    KIBWORTH John Berryman
    KINGDOM BRASS. Craig Anderson
    KNOTTINGLEY SILVER Robin Morgan
    LINDLEY Neil Jowett
    PEMBERTON OLD WIGAN JJB. Mark Peacock
    RATBY CO-OPERATIVE Steve Sykes
    STAINES Ian McElligot
    THORESBY COLLIERY Stan Lippeatt
    UNISON KINNEIL Colin McKenzie
    WINGATES Andrew Berryman

THE SENIOR TROPHY

QUALIFYING CONTEST FOR THE 2008 SENIOR CUP
    TEST PIECE - Ballet for Band – Joseph Horovits

FIRST PRIZE £600 and THE SENIOR TROPHY
    SECOND PRIZE £400 and THE N.W.C.B.B.A. TROPHY
    THIRD PRIZE £300
    FOURTH PRIZE £200

BACTIGUARD WIRE BRASS Paul Andrews
    BLACKBURN AND DARWEN Nick Sheppard
    BO’NESS & CARRIDEN Mike Marzella
    DRIGHLINGTON Kevin Belcher
    FRIARY GUILDFORD Chris King
    GLOSSOP OLD Jonathan Davies
    HARROGATE David Lancaster
    LONGRIDGE Peter Lockett
    MARSDEN RIVERHEAD BREWERY Glyn Williams
    MOSSLEY Duncan Briers
    NEWTONGRANGE Iain Fleming
    OLD SILKSTONE Alan Exley
    PARC & DARE Craig Roberts
    POWERFUEL HATFIELD COLLIERY Graham O’Connor
    STOCKSBRIDGE David Nesbitt
    TAVISTOCK CHESTER LE STREET RIVERSIDE Ian Robinson
    UNITED CO-OP CREWE Jef Sparkes
    UNITED NORWEST CO-OP MILNROW Andrew White
    UNITED CO-OP YORKSHIRE BRASS William Rushworth
    VERNON BUILDING SOCIETY Alan Lawton

Tickets are available from Ticket Master on 08703801111 or The Winter Gardens Box Office

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SAXBY TROPHYFOURTH
    The Night to Sing - Bramwell ToveyFIRST PRIZE
    Spring Brass Band Festival
    Winter Gardens
  3. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

It's POWERFUEL and O'Connor!

What is it with contest organisers getting band names wrong?!:mad:

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Thanks John... sorted now. I don't have time to read all the Press Releases I receive in as much detail as I perhaps should before I then publish them on tMP. I spend more than enough time re-formating them in single colour, single font size, single font, non centered... yadayada et al.

Ta for pointing this out though.

5. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

It's not your fault. I've had this out with 4br as well, they don't check the names they receive from the contest organisers for typos! And it seems contest organisers aren't bothered if they get names wrong!

I've lost count of the amount of times our name has been printed wrong, 'Hatfield Brass', 'Hatfield Main' etc. Does the head in a little bit!

Not just my band that has suffered this though 'Innovative Skelmanthorpe' anyone??

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  6. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Can I also ask if anyone knows why the band that finished third from bottom last year is appearing in this years contest once again??

I thought if you were in the bottom four you would not receive an invite for the following year?

If this is the case I would like to know how this happened in case it happens to us! :)

Just curious.

7. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I certainly know of two bands who were eligible for re-invitation (based on their result last year) this year but are not attending, so perhaps it is to do with this?

8. MICKTHEEUPH

MICKTHEEUPH Member

Just noticed you have Steven Mean as one of the judges!!? Is this a Freudian slip? Are you expecting him to be in a bad mood?

9. Pastit

Pastit Member

The band that finished fourth from bottom last year are also appearing again, so there seems some validity in this answer

10. JR

JR Member

who are these two? can't remember
    have they folded?

sam

11. brass journo

brass journo Member

As the Band Manager of the band in question please let me answer you query. You are indeed correct, our band did finish in the bottom few of last year's contest and consequently had no invitation to this year's contest. As such, I (as principal cornet) and my husband (solo horn) had even booked a holiday to Italy for that very weekend as we had no requirement to be in Blackpool. However, a few weeks ago I received a 'phone call from Frank Hodges (contest organiser) asking if the band wished to attend the contest. Of course, with complete disregard to my holiday which has now cost several hundred pounds (at my expense) to change I quickly accepted as the band comes first and in our opinion, this was not inviation to be turned down - to go is definitely in the best interest of our band and we count ourselves very lucky to be invited.
    Now I wondered how we could ever be considered this year, at best I hoped for a re-invitation in 2008 or more likely 2009, once we had some good results under our belts. However, according to Mr. Hodges (the aforementioned contest organiser) several bands had declined their invitations to the contest this year and several other bands on the waiting list had also declined, thus meaning, quite simply, the next band on the list was us, and we accepted.
    The whole process is conducted in what I believe is a fair and professional manner in the opinons of the contest organisers and I think they do a sterling job in running such a festival.
    Now I hope this puts the details of the situation in perspective and we can all move on to prepare ourselves for a fair and interesting competition and wish our own and all competing bands every best wishes for the day.
    I hope this is a satisfactory answer to your query.

Tabby

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SAXBY TROPHYFOURTH
    The Night to Sing - Bramwell ToveyFIRST PRIZE
    Spring Brass Band Festival
    Winter Gardens
  13. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Really glad you have a chance to go this year. It's great to see bands with such a positive attitude being given the chances they deserve in what can sometimes be a very cut throat contest world.

I'm a firm believer that the music and social aspect should always come first place above the results.

All the best for the contest. Hope you have a fantastic day.

Ed Knowles
    Stocksbridge

14. barrytone

barrytone Member

Well answered Tabby, I know at least one band that was after an invitation to the Senior Trophy and they're not on the list so presume they are one of the bands that declined. Not the band's fault that you've been reinvited, as you say can't say no to an invitation like that. Hope you and Jamie enjoy your hols when you get there!

15. brass journo

brass journo Member

Thanks Ed - best of luck to you too!

16. JR

JR Member

Good luck Tab and the band - it'll be better than Reading 2002!
    (I still have nightmares...)

JR

17. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Is there any information about which sections will be held in which halls?

18. bassinthebathroom

Both Camborne and St Austell bands from Cornwall are not attending this year despite being eligible. From what I can gather the financial burden/time off work (effectively a 3 or 4 day weekend) for both of the bands has been a major factor.

19. bassinthebathroom

Hearsay indicates Grand Shield in the Opera House, so I'm guessing Senior Cup in the Ballroom and Trophy in the Spanish Room? :sup

20. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I think they will use the Pavillion over the Spanish hall.

21. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Are the acoustics in there any better?

We played in the spanish room last year, and it was the pits for sound. That curved roof means you can't hear yourself at all well... or anyone else at all!

Pretty much anywhere's gotta be better than that.

22. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Hmmm... if you want good acoustics I suggest trying somewhere other than the Winter Gardens! I personally think the Opera House is the best (from a contest perspective), it's a very dry acoustic so you can hear the detail, and it's hard to get the band sound across into the hall, which shows the difference in band sounds off better than the ballroom. The Pavillion is better than the ballroom for me. I do recall perhaps it's easy to get done for overblowing in there given previous years comments from adjudicators? Might be wrong.