2007 National Final Judges announced...

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 7, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

National Final Judges for 2007

We're sure this will prompt some interesting debate and also raise a few eyebrows as tMP can today reveal who the judges are for the National Finals 2007;

David Read, Derek Broadbent & Prof David King

Section 1
    C.Brian Buckley & Rob Wiffen

Section 2
    Colin Hardy & Philip Harper

Section 3
    Alan Hope & Dr Chris Davies

Section 4
    David Hirst & Alan Ramsey
  2. Texus

Texus Member

Excellent blend of experience and innovation for the top section. Congrats to the panel and good luck.
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Well, the top section bands now know they can get away with ralls, rits and tempo changes everywhere if Mr King is in the box. ;)
  4. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

Yes!, but he doesn't have to agree with where they play the rall's rit's and tempo changes!!!:biggrin:
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It could certainly make for some interesting deliberations in the box as to how close the interpretation should be to the score!
  6. hornmel

hornmel New Member

I think its great David King is in the box! About time there was someone decent in it!
  7. Big Gav

Big Gav Member

What a fantastic decision David has proved himself time and time again over the years and will be a fantastic adjudicator. Surely it is in the best interest of everybody to have somebody in the box who is in touch with current banding rather than a plethora of senior gentlemen who used to be players/conductors some 20-30 years ago (and possibly more)! I'm not having a pop at anybody but.........! He will reward music making thats for sure.
  8. Timpking

Timpking Member

Great choice with Prof King in the box but would rather watch him conducting!

On step forward with King but two back with Read!! :confused:
  9. stopher

stopher Member

Agree with Big Gav on what he has said. The man has a proven track record as a conductor and I'm sure his views will be greatly appreciated - just would love to see his adjudication (you're s*** mate but got potential springs to mind!).

Oddly, the 1st big contest he adjudicates is the one he has never won!
  10. andyfake

andyfake Member

Don't know much about Philip Harper - anyone shed any light?
  11. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Conductor at Polysteel and Flowers before - also does some excellent arrangements.
  12. One might even say, truly exceptional arrangements and also compositions...
  13. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Gave us 2nd place at the areas!!! And now we get him at the Finals too!!
  14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Nice to see a name in the box that we have not seen before Rob Wiffen:clap:
    and also good to see C.Brian Buckley as well;)
  15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Y'know, that's a point, one which could work in YBS's favour.

Since Morgan Griffiths is now conducting YBS, and played under David King for such a long time, their interpretations are likely to have some similarities. Though I've never played under David King, I did help Elland Silver out a time or three when Morgan was conducting, and he's not scared of an unwritten rall or two. But then, Brighouse have such close ties with Derek Broadbent, they'll know what he;s looking for too, so I suppose that'll help them equally.

Nice to see Derek Broadbent there as well. Such a nice chap, and with a real passion for brass music which age has done nothing to diminish.

Not to ignore Mr Read of course, the dynamic in the box will be interesting, with Broadbent and King representing old-school and new-wave banding respectively. It'd be interesting to compare their notes.
  16. Rob

Rob Member

Apart from the fact that Morgan will be playing at the contest, not conducting :)

Don't know why evereyone is getting all het-up over these 'unwritten ralls'??? It's called 'interpretation', happens in orchestras and other ensembles all the time, the only reason people notice it in brass bands is that there are unfortunately only a handful of conductors in banding who dare to, or have the musical ability and conviction to stray beyond completely 'safe' performances.
  17. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

Aye, well said Rob mate, couldnt agree more. People are always talking about wanting to take the movement forward but then when the smallest efforts are made - new interpretations etc, same people are very quick to hold onto their "brass roots" ;) and keep their feet firmly in the old school interpretation camp.
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Except that it would be wrong to think that "wilful" interpretation is only a recent thing: if you compare some of the "classic" winning - and other - performances of the past with the score, there are often major divergencies from what is stipulated by the composer. I'm personally all in favour of a conductor implimenting his own interpretations, but the fact remains not all adjudicators view it the same way, hence the speculation over the discussion between the "three wise men" ;)
  19. critic

critic Member

King is a great choice ad so is read and broadbent let them get onwith it
  20. Dave King? Right at the very top of all the band conductors that I have come across. As for ralls, rits etc: It's called music.