2006's area pieces, to be continued, OR NOT?!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by madandcrazytromboneguy, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. this years area test pieces have been a mixed bag, although i have to say 1 or 2 pleasantly surprized me in different ways.

i really liked JTTCOTE, a piece with some nice solo's, a crackin percussion part, a great mix of quiet smooth playing, to moments of huge attacking music and its a piece which has definately got in my all time favourites list.

VOD for me was a piece which was much better to listen to than it was to play, but that was due to the trombone parts not having to much to challenge the better trombone players in the 1st section, but with this aside, the piece provided all other sections of the band with plenty to do, section D was a lovely bit of music and the tenor horn cadenza definately got the solo horn players to play with some quality.

IOTM did not interest me at all, and in terms of interesting music, it came right at the bottom of the 5 pieces this year, in my own humble and simple opinion of course. despite this, it seemed to provide the most difficult of tests for the 2nd section bands, and it was even capable of getting a band or 2 to drop out completely.

E again, like IOTM was a huge test for the 3rd section bands, and maybe should have been the piece for the 2nd section to tackle, rather than 3rd. some very difficult cornet and euphonium parts in the 1st and 3rd movements, and to get the real music out of the slow movement was a real test, as most people told me that it was 1 of brass bandings true musical movements. an interesting piece to listen to in the audience.

4th section were provided with a very playable piece in AD and yet it was a very listenable piece with some typical alan fernie moments appearing throughout. i think it was a nice idea to give the 4th section a more playable piece, 1 which they could enjoy rehearsing, considering that the previous 2 or 3 tests, especially the divertimento, have been more challenging for them, i think AD was a very good choice, especially for the new bands who have contested this year aswell.

so many good regional pieces have been used in recent years, just for the regionals and then never to be used again, this seems like a huge waste of some really good music.

does anyone agree with me here, and do you think this years pieces will avoid catching the dust of the filing cabinets of bandrooms all over the country?
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.