2006 New CD arrivals

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by WorldofBrass.com, Jan 5, 2006.

1. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Just received into stock is the fourth release in our six CD series The History of Brass Band Music.
    This volume deals with The Modern Era and includes mainstays of the repertoire like Energy (Robert Simpson) and Jazz (Philip Wilby).

We're also delighted to add the first two releases on the Brass Classics label to our catalogue.
    Joie de Vivre is a recording of French music for trumpet and piano and is quite beautifully played by Paul Archibald and Juliet Edwards.
    On A Night in Vienna, Paul forms part of the English Brass Ensemble in a progarmme of arrangments of music by Mozart and the Strauss family.
    Further titles will follow in the coming months on this exciting new label.
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- who's in the line-up of the present English Brass Ensemble?
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's okay, It's the original line-up:-

Paul Archibald, Richard Martin (trumpets)
    James Handy (horn)
    David Whitson (trombone)
    James Gourlay (tuba)

- I won't link to my source ... 2 of your advertised CDs are on sale there! :wink:
  4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Not quite - Richard Martin was not the group's original trumpet - though I can't remember offhand who was, even though they played a piece of mine at St Johns Smith Square...:dunno
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- erm., he's quoted alongside Paul Archibald on all 3 English Brass Ensemble CDs I have ... Russian Brass, Lyric Brass and Toccata.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Was that the same concert where they premiered the Peter Maxwell Davies quintet? If so, then I was there :icon_wink:

There have been a few changes of personnel over the years, and of course the group were initially called the Albany Brass Quintet, changing the name to prevent confusion with the Albany Ensemble wind quintet.
  8. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Class player and a nice guy to boot.!!
  9. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

On Paul Archbald's website Richard is not mentioned as a founder member:

As Peter says, the group metamorphosed from the Albany Brass Quintet in the late 80's. Graham Ashton is the name I couldn't remember earlier - he's the man!

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I stand corrected (humble grovellings). I never really knew about the Albany Quintet! Now about Graham Ashton, ... he has made some good recordings over the years, as soloist and as leader of his own brass ensemble! (... must dig them out some day!).
  11. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member