2006 Brass Band Summer School Information

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 3, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Plans are well set for the 2006 Brass Band Summer School, which this year takes place at Bromsgrove School, Worcestershire starting on Sunday 6th August and running through to Saturday 12th August. The BBSS' Co-ordinator, Philip Biggs reports that there are already over 80 delegates who have signed up for the longest running brass Summer School. This year the teaching staff iincludes David Childs, Nick Hudson, Alan Morrison, Owen Farr, Steve Sykes, Simone Rebello and Brian Taylor. The Course Director is Mr Richard Evans.

There are still some places available for brass instrumentalists and anyone interested should contact Philip as soon as possible by telephoning 01223 234090 or 07710 505689. The culmination of the week's course is a concert in The Routh Hall at Bromsgrove School on Friday 11th August at 7.30pm.

Those interested in attending should telephone 01223 234090 or 07710 505689.
  2. Colin Hogg

Colin Hogg Member

I have never been on one of these Summer Schools, even though they do a very good one here in Swansea. The reason for this is that they don't do a conducting part of it.(Do they?)
    I'm sure they could have a few conductors on the course, with the likes of Alan Morrison,Steve Sykes and of course Richard Evans to watch over them, I'm sure this aspect could be fitted into it. Just to sit and watch Richard Evans work with a band would be worth the Fee alone. Any thoughts?
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Colin

You are right, if I remember correctly, I though there was a Welsh Summer School earlier this year at the Brangwyn Hall sometime shortly after the Areas? I remember speaking to Steve Sykes a few days beforehand (who I was to meet there, but I eventually couldn't get away from woek in time).

I think it would be a great idea to have some element of the course specifically for conductors, especially with such eminent and experienced musicians present. (Mr Sykes was my conductng mentor!!)
  4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

You tend to pick up lots of conducting tips off Richard during the rehearsals. I got the chance to conduct an ensemble last year, I'm sure if you wanted to try a bit of conducting you could do that and find a tutor in the spare time that could help you with your conducting or there are others on the course that conduct too.

Other than that I know that some associations ie. Durham have special conductors courses and weekends.

I'll be at Bromsgrove again ..........Roll on Summer school..........
  5. englishgill

englishgill Member

and you can have the chance to do it again this year if you like! Just let me know and I'll e-mail you the adobe file of this year's chosen treat!! Or you could always be top cornet for me ......

:biggrin: Gill
  6. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

brass band summer school

Hi john, are you going to summer school this year????, dont want to put anybody off ,but i have actually paid so I will be there, had cornet serviced and a new ON button put on the machine with 3 degrees of volume:clap: :clap: :clap:
  7. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

and thoose buttons are
    and as loud as possible!:eek:
  8. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

OMG - Philip, is it too late to get my money back? ;-)

Hmm, what can we do to get our own back? I know, I'll make sure all the flugels are tuned a demitone apart.... Whaddya mean "no change there then"?

Well, see you all there :) :) :) :). And I'll be on the wagon as usual...
  9. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

I'll be there as well. I'm looking forward to visiting England again and having a few pints of proper British Ale. See everyone there.

10. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

I just received my packet from Philip. I don't know many of the pieces selected for this year. Which band would you choose Shakespeare or Hathaway??
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm glad you'll be back...I must do the summer school again sometime!!

BTW why does a So Cal person have a Notre Dame logo...already off the USC bandwagon?
  12. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

This is my fifth summer school. I've had such a great time it has become the highlight of my summer vacation.

I've been a Notre Dame fan for a long time. I saw them play on TV and for some reason I was hooked. Maybe I liked Notre Dame's fight song.
    I've never been a USC or a UCLA fan. I was quite satified to watch Texas punish the USC offense.

I was disappoiinted when Ohio State beat Notre Dame but they were clearly the dominant team on the field. Notre Dame was flustered by Ohio's defense. I would not be surprised if Ohio State is rated #1 at the beginning of the season.

Hi to Dianamite
  13. DublinBass

I will do....sorry, didn't mind to wind you up ;-)
  14. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

I don't know many of them either. I'm going to ask the opinion of our band's "experts" (for experts read anoraks!)

For those I do know, my humble opinion follows:

-Land of the Mountain and the Flood is a good romp.
    -I played Langford's Sniffy-etta years ago and enjoyed it, don't know if I still would now though. Nice flugel bit. One of the first contest pieces I played on flugel.
    -You'll Never Walk Again - sorry, Alone - takes careful handling to stop it just being loud. It's the sort of thing you never want to play in a massed band without ear defenders. I have a bit of a problem with this piece in general (sentimental twaddle? sorry, I know it makes me a bad person but I just can't hack it) so it might be the decider against Hathaway for me.
    -Barber of Seville, typical Rossini and good fun.

I recognise some of the rest but don't know the arrangements, so can't pass comment.

I'm soooooooo excited! :) :) :) :) :) :) I probably ought to get out more... But I'm looking forward to meeting all the old gang and catching up on the new ones - it's about 3 or 4 years since I was last at BBSS, although I managed to get over for the pub quiz last year.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  15. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

have i made a blooper here? I'm just not an anorak and know nothing, i'm sorry!
  16. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

Not to worry. It takes more than USC to get me wound up.

By the way, have you ever attended the Midwest Conference? I'm planning to attend this as I have heard positive comments about it.

Best Regards to you and Dianamite
  17. DublinBass

I have (the BBC has played there on 3 occasions)...it's a really good time. There are even a few brass banders that usually attend...Philip Sparke, Robin Norman, Jim Curnow, Geoffrey Brand come to mind.

Chicago's a great town...only probably is it the weather in December...brrrr.

I think Diana is planning on going this year (I may tag-a-long). It is best to reserve your hotel room ASAP if you can.
  18. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Brass Band Summer school Info

as there are only two sop players (I know Not enough, to give volume, but we will try) and Clare wants to play Tam O 'Shanter, i have been ordered(Only joking Clare) to play in Shakespere, But Land of mountain good piece, apart from Barber of Seville dont know rest of pieces, But massed band pieces not bad, Fingals Cave And Mill in the Dale only two played before,
    Now counting days to go, although will be late, playing in Northants Park Sun (6th)afternoon but will still let you all buy me a beer
  19. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

I look forward to hopefully joining you in Shakespere mate. Dont forget im at Northants as well so will also need beer......... ;)
  20. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

Well, if you and/or Diana do attend let me know. It would be nice to see you again and maybe I'll even buy a round of drinks.