2005 Regional Tests

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave1, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Announced today in the British Bandsman, the long awaited test pieces for the areas next year. Here goes -

Championships - Overture to the opers Rienzi (Lorriman)
    1st Section - Comedy Overture (Ireland)
    2nd Section - Variations for Brass Band (Vaughan Williams)
    3rd Section - Tan O'Shanters Ride (Denis Wright)
    4th Section - Divertimento (Kelly)

Your thoughts please?

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

3. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Sounds like you know it - what's the perc part like?

Tim.

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

What can you tell me about Comedy Overture ?

Much for trombones ?

5. The King of Wise

The King of Wise New Member

They're having a laugh. Variations for Brass Band for 2nd Section! Tam O' Shanter's Ride for 3rd!!! I can think of plenty of Championship Section bands that would struggle with these. I don't remember Comedy being too easy either.

All I can say is that the people that picked these have either never played them or have no concept of the standard of lower section bands. They should all be forced to resign. But they won't.

Lalo
    PS Wasn't Rienzi by Wagner?

6. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

That it's dull if you're a drummer! (If I remember correctly)

Tim.

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I'm pleased to see the Vaughan Williams there. I know it won't suit everybody, but I think it's been unfairly overlooked, and I had forgotten how good it is until one of the bands played it on the Sunday after the Open a year or so back.

As to the question of a transcription for the top section, I don't have any particular axe to grind providing it sets enough challenges, although I should imagine the percussionists will not be too busy - mind you, that looks to be the case in most sections next year!

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but the transcription is by Lorriman ;)

9. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I don't know the 2nd, 3rd and 4th sections very well but if 'Comedy' is anything to go by then they will be good choices.

Some will argue Comedy is too difficult for 1st section but surely that's the idea...to find those capable of cutting it in the Championship Section.

Comedy has become one of my favourite pieces. No massive techincal hurdles or solos (but then again it was early 1900's John Ireland so you would not expect it) but it is very busy and there is absolutely loads to bring out of it. Tough to knit together but fantastic music.

10. The King of Wise

The King of Wise New Member

I agree that Variations for Brass Band is a great piece that deserves to be used again, but for 2nd section???? The people that picked it have no idea how difficult it is. What's next? Contest Music for 3rd section? That doesn't look too difficult when you look at the score.

Who picked them anyway?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Championships - Overture
    Rienzi
    1st Section - Comedy Overture
    Section - Variations for Brass Band
  12. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I think comedy overture was written in 1934 , it's a great piece , I think the two classics used are very difficult ( Variations for Band in the 2nd is a massive task for 2nd section bands , Wish I played with a 2nd section band).
    Wahooooo another Transcription for the championchip
    good choice in Divertimento and Tam O'Shanter ( bit tricky for the 3rd tho )

13. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Elin says (about Tan O'Shanters Ride)......
    "It's a really good, fun piece. It will be challenging, particularily for the backrow from what I remember"
    Me....I have no idea!

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Of those I know Comedy and Tam O'Shanter - both are good pieces and yes both will tax the bands in their respective sections.

Don't know Variations at all though - anyone got any thoughts? Is it hard / easy? More importantly does it have a decent flugel part.....??????;)

15. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Anyone know what the Sop parts like for Comedy Overture??

16. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Variations is a great piece , loads of work for everyone. ( I think there may be a celeste part included which RVW wrote but not many bands play).

17. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

My favourite piece!! wooooooooh! Bring it on :D :D :D :D :D :D

18. MattB

MattB Member

Anyone know much about Divertimento? All I know is it's in 4 movements. Where can I buy it from?

19. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I hate to see people complaining these pieces would be too hard for them... as Johnflugel says, that is the idea ;) The area pieces will always be the section above standard at least... get the bands something to grip their teeth into :cool:

Should be a good challenge for all bands, all sections... (ok, so maybe the perc parts aren't going to be great.... not the first or last time... :) :p )

The top section piece I recon will be cool... I've read up on it... Programme notes for it are interesting... (shove it in google).... Dyke have recorded this for Obrasso, on the Spectacular Brass Classics Volume 4 CD...

I dont know the 3rd section piece.... but the others I've heard and they are all good pieces.

Definatly be buying the Regionals 2005 CD :) and I suggest anyone who wants to know what their parts are going to be like, should do the same ;-)

20. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Regional tests

Is Comedy Overture the "piccadilly" one? Cool piece but tricky!

Tam O'Shanter is pure class, I want to play it!!

21. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Boring old f**t syndrome strikes again.

Divertimento was used for the third section less than 10 years ago.

Why recycle it so soon, albeit in a different section?

Again, the issue of a supposed dearth of new test pieces comes up.

We'll just have to win the Nationals to get promoted and avoid Divertimento and then bitch about how difficult Tam O'Sahnter's Ride is as an alternative...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Championships - Overture
    Rienzi
    1st Section - Comedy Overture
    Section - Variations for Brass Band