2005 Nationals Test-Pieces Announced

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, May 19, 2005.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Section 1: Pageantry (Herbert Howells), published by R. Smith & Co. Due to the fact that Pageantry was originally written with minimal percussion, Philip Wilby, has added a new and complimentary percussion part, which will be used at the Finals.

Section 2: Belmont Variations (Sir Arthur Bliss, arr. Frank Wright) published by Novello and available from Studio Music London.

Section 3: A Gallimaufry Suite (Philip Harper) published by Wright and Round and available from 1 June.

Section 4: A Mendip Celebration (Darrol Barry) published by and available from Studio Music London.

Championship Section to be announced on 06/06
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Nice to see that tMP is represented in the selections . . . well done, Mr. Barry!
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Ok, I expect a volley of posts from 1st section percussionists on how A) they want to play at the finals and B) they want something to do, but if Pagaentry was written with minimal percussion, then so be it! Why have an extra part done for it?
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Good point, Chris. If one is going to select an old piece as a test, but it has to be altered to make it more "acceptable" to the modern bands, then perhaps one needs to choose something else.
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

It's also inconsistent; if Bands had to qualify on "Comedy", with equally minimal percussion, why wasn't an additional and "complimenary" percussion part provided for that?

At the very least, I would sincerely hope that the extra parts for "Pageantry" are optional, and that MD's will be allowed to use their discretion and choose whether or not to use the "souped-up" version, without risk of penalty.
  6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

The extra parts were used for the 1st time at the Grand Sheild in 1995 ( and on the YBS introduction CD) , I think the timp part was taken directly from Herbert Howells own orchestral brass / percussion parts used for the coronation in 1936/37 ( King's Herald was used for the ceremony ). As Philip Wilby was taught by Herbert Howells he was asked to add extra percussion by the organisers ( I think it was also used as a Swiss Nationals Test Piece in the 1990's I sure I read it on the revised score )
    they are subtle and add to the piece they sound quite good in Jousts.
    well done to the nationals organisers for picking a monster of a piece..
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Wasn't the impression I got when it was used at the Masters. To my ears, in many instances the additional timp. cues "muddied the waters" and caused the Bass lines to be less distinct.
  8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I am talking about the YBS recording and when Pagentry is played in concert , you can use it outside the competition area you know....blimey what a concept that would be..giving a great piece more than one performance a year. :)
    Belmont is a cracker too , very tricky ( brilliant Euph and Cornet cadenza ) and the trombone writing is class.
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

My first ever nationals and we have to play a piece with a whacking great flugel solo right at the start :eek:

Can't really comment about this as a selection. I've only run through it a few times at band as sight reading practice and I've found it tricky. I honestly thought that, given we had Variations for the Area, a more recent piece would've been chosen.

...better start practicing that part I reckon...:redface:
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... just for the record, was it Philip Wilby who added the extra percussion for the Grand Shield version? No record on either the YBS CD or the 1997 European CDs tell me who did this.
  11. andyp

andyp Active Member

Nice to see 3rd section getting a brand new piece-makes for a level playing field for us all. It sounds interesting, too.
  12. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

The euph part takes some playing as well, particularly if you play long phrases - you need an iron lung ;)
  13. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Yes they were the Philip Wilby parts for the Grand Shield The Intoduction recording and for the 1997 European ( My brother Mike was playing Rep for YBS during this period)
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... thanks! Still going to be a stiff test for all bands concerned in my opinion!
  15. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I have sneaking suspicion that Gallimaufry may just be a transcription from the concert band piece of the same name???

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Edit: Ignore me I'm talking ****. The wind orchestra piece was written by Woolfenden.
    Last edited: May 19, 2005
  16. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Shame that it's a cracking piece !
  17. Di B

Di B Member

I think I am very fortunate to be in the 4th section at the moment. We played a Sparke piece last year and now have a Barry one this year!

- Hmmm.... I guess I should check out my part before I say that really! :)

I have not heard of the 4th section piece before - has it been used at contests previously? Which ones? Is there a recording available yet?

18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

2 Cracking pieces for 1st&2nd section bands
    Pagentry brilliant baritone part 2nd movement:clap: , just a shame we have not qualified:( , however Belmont Variations as been used before for the 2nd section Nationals in 1989/1990.
    Good choice and will test all the bands out in that section but would have liked to have seen something else used instead;) :tup
  19. JR

JR Member

Agreed - 2 cracking pieces no question though I don't think Belmont is Bliss at his best - not sure of the origin of the variations but I dont think it was brass - may have been chamber music or even piano (?).
    Belmont was the test at the "old" 2nd section finals in 1990 (won by Dodworth with Graham O'Connor) the standard of which would easily equate to today's 1st section.
    It also was used as the top section area piece in 1978. I remember spectating at both the Yorkshire and North West events - there was some great playing in both contests - I can still see Brian Taylor making his debut with Faireys on top man playing the cornet cadenza faultlessly with Walter Hargreaves conducting the winning performance. Back at Bradford, Yorkshire Imps were placed 3rd that year but went on to (deservedly) win the National on another Bliss arrangement - Checkmate.
    Pageantry is going to be a controversial choice, not for Phil Wilby's added percussion, instead for the devaluation of such a great piece to 1st section status - this coming so soon after it was deemed a stern enough test for the All England Masters! - come to think of it if the Cambridge contest is to be used as a yardstick a better choice may well have been Martin Ellerby's Chivalry - much easier to start on stage at Harrogate Conference Centre than Pageantry...

John Roberts
  20. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I agree, good 1st and 2nd section choices, I'm afraid that I don't know the other two pieces.

Personally, I dont see Pageantry as a controversial choice, the same arguments could also be made on the Grand Sheild and Senior Trophy pieces this year. Bands are ever improving, and the choice of pieces seem (mostly) to reflect this.