2005 Nabbc

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by DublinBass, Feb 8, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Info about the 2005 North American Brass Band Championships have been posted on 4BR http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=232

More info can be found on the NABBA website http://www.nabba.org/Band Competition.htm

While the number of competing bands in each section is listed, nothing is said about which bands are competing in which sections...

Anybody Know For Sure? Based on past years entries, my guess would be...

Championship (6 Bands): Atlantic, Central Florida, Chicago, James Madison??, St. Louis, Western Reserve
    Honors (7 Bands): Central Ohio, Cincinnati, Fountain City??, Ozark Mountains, Prairie, Sheldon Theatre, Sunshine
    Challenge (4 Bands): Commonwealth, Natural State, Spires, Spokane
    Explorer (1 Band): Central Illinois ???
    Youth (1 Band): Cincinnati Honors

Noticeably Absent from competition this year (and possible reason): All-Star Bands (Saving money for Europe Tour??), Columbus (MD Retired), Eastern Iowa, Illinois (MD Resigned), Motor City, Triangle Bands

Any additional info Lothian, Steve Marcus, EIBB Ray, et al could give would be appreciated.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    4BR
    2005 Nabbc
    info
    website
    NABBA
  3. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

My guess is that James Madison will be in the Honors section and Fountain City in Championship. JMU competed in Honors last year, if I'm remembering correctly. And having heard them at the U.S. Open I know that Fountain City is certainly capable of playing at a Championship level. (For one thing, they have a number of members who are instrumental faculty or degree candidates at Univ. of Missouri - Kansas City and Central Missouri State. Check out their website at www.fountaincitybrass.com.)

As I understand it, FCBB was also disqualified from competing at NABBA last year or a couple of years ago for administrative reasons (late paperwork??). Therefore, I expect them to be coming to NABBA "loaded for bear", and it would not surprise me in the least if they were in the running.

As far as Eastern Iowa goes, I think EIBB Ray would be the best source of info. However, I've heard a rumor that they were disqualified for reasons similar to what I mention above about FCBB. If that's true, it's a real shame.

-Lothian

4. DublinBass

They did, but they one by quite a large margain if I remember. I wasn't sure if they would be self-promoted or not.

Interesting info about FCBB...It's really amazing how competitive bands in the top two sections have really become over the past few years. While some may still think there are favourites both sections really look like they could be anybody's game as there are alot of good bands and a lot of good, talented players (and MDs).

I'm going to miss going this this year...we'll have to have you send us some updates as soon as they are released ;)

5. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

BBCbari - how do you think the best American bands compare with the bands you've heard during your time in the UK? Is there still a distinctive difference in sound approach or are some US bands starting to sound a little more 'British'? The only NA band I've ever heard (and I played euphonium in both the Canadian and Chicago Staff Bands) that really approached that kind of sound was the London (Ontario) Citadel Band during the 70s through the 90s when Bram Gregson was conducting. It helped that half their front row were English or Scottish.

6. DublinBass

Wow...tough question...from what I heard at the NABBCs in 2004 and 2002 I'd have to say the bands that play loud, clean and safe are the ones winning. Where as I think the bands the used to win 10 years ago used to play with a fantastic soft dynamic, but didn't push the louds very well (and were also quite clean). This to me represents a gradual change in sound of the North American bands. It goes back to that debate that came out around how to judge the Open and Nationals last fall and rewarding soft bands, but still liking the excitement that comes with good louds.

In a sense it is similar to what I see from many of the bands (outside the top 15 or 20 in the UK) The clean, loud bands do well, but many bands except the very top are afraid to play soft. So I think if you had a contest with half North America bands and half British, you could probably still guess by sound (not necessarily by technical ability) which bands were from where.

In my personal experience...I have been stretched as a player over here in two main areas 1) I have learned I need to play louder because the cornets put out a huge sound and the basses need to keep up with it (almost getting an edge on the tuba at times) and 2) I have had to play with a lot more vibrato. I don't know that I've been pushed technically anymore than back home, and I have had no problem keeping the volume down in the soft spots.

I guess after dodging the question, I'll say they are sound more British in some regards, but we are still developing an American sound. I think always having 1 or 2 of the 3 judges from America helps that.

7. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Well, I assume that they are not as I'm about 98% sure that Fountain City is competing in the Championship section. I could be wrong, however...

First off, this whole living-in-the-UK thing must be getting to you if you're spelling "favorites" like you did above. :D

And yes, things are still in a great deal of flux here which I think is a good thing generally - it shows that the movement is continuing to develop.

What it also shows is that the US is still in the situation where the brass band community has not even begun to scratch the surface of the available brass talent in most places. Think of how many major metro areas or university towns with a concentration of brass musicians are out there, but are currently brass band-less. As long as that condition exists, I think it's very likely that we will continue to see "instant" bands that suddenly appear in cities that did not have them previously, and which will be able to draw on the native un-tapped talent to play at a high level very quickly. That certainly happened in St. Louis and Central Florida a few years ago, and it seems to have now in KC. Think of what could suddenly materialize out of north Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth) or the Bay Area in CA if the right people get involved.

So, yes, there are a lot of bands in the top two sections who could win on any given day, and I think for years to come there will be the chance of a band coming in from over the horizon that nobody has heard of previously and who challenges for a title. And that's great!

-Lothian

8. DublinBass

Hopefully, not only win titles in the States, but also in Europe (eg the All-England International Masters, Scottish Open, Pontins or French Open)!!

9. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

If anyone from Chicagoland is viewing this, can they tell me if Bill Himes has ever worked with any of the NABBA bands in the area. Also, does Mark Ridenour (CSO Acting Principal Trumpet) ever get involved. He's a band nut and he conducts (or at least used to conduct) the DesPlaines SA band.

10. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Bill Himes has been in to work with us (PBB) a couple of times in the last few years, most recently in the spring of 2003. Working with him has been great and very rewarding for the band. Unfortunately, his schedule with the Chicago Staff Band and other duties have meant that working with him is very much a sometime thing. I don't know if he has worked with either of the other NABBA bands in the greater Chicago area.

I was unaware that Mark Ridenour was involved with banding at all. That's very interesting...

-Lothian

11. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Unless it was in solo work, I find it disappointing that you've been required to use (more) vibrato on the tuba. What is all that about?

In my experience the tendency in US bands is to play in a more deadpan fashion, particularly cornets. I suspect it has something to do with players' marching-band background.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    4BR
    2005 Nabbc
    info
    website
    NABBA
  13. DublinBass

A little bit working on solo stuff (there were some nice Eb bass solo lines in Dances and Arias) but also trying to warm up the sound in the cello/bass part in Rienzi.

(Can't say I ever really used much vibrato in my old band playing second baritone ;) )