2005 Masters Becomes International?!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by NAS, Jun 11, 2004.

?

Should Non English Bands Be Invited To Compete?

1. Yes?

50.0%
  2. No?

50.0%
  1. impycornet

impycornet Member

Very interesting :)

2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well that was a fun read... obviously their big changes have worked marvelously... :-?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yes I read that earlier... found it quite amusing and pleased of the outcome to be quite frank.

:) :metal: :woo :hammer :grnsm :wink:

:lol:

4. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

LOL it seems to me that most of the "top" English bands have declined the invitation!

5. Benyboy

Benyboy New Member

Unfortunately the line up dosent seem to be much stronger than last year, which i presume was the intention. Are any of the missing English bands going to start a new "English Masters"?? We dont get the rumours as much in the North East.

Chris BENTHAM​

Solo Trom Rev Vardy(er) Band​
    Resident Conductor Fishburn Band.​

6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a little bit of a shame for Willebroek. I know that they would love to compete against the absolute top of the British brass bands more often. But this seems to be difficult to realise. I hope they can prove themselves at the Masters and the World Championships next year. And then maybe they will finally get an invitation for the British Open? ;)

(I don't want to put down the other competitors int he Masters and the WBBC of course! They're also all great bands! But without YBS, Fairey, Black Dyke, B&R and Grimethorpe, it just can't be called "the absolute top", that's my feeling)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  7. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Just read the article on the cover of this weeks British Bandsman regarding the BFBB's plans for the 'English National Brass Band Championship'!! I'm pleased to see not only are they providing a Contest for English Bands only, but they are also placing any profit made into a 'Youth Band Trust'. Excellent idea!!

I also love the idea of picking six of the bands from the regional champions, this will mean that any band can compete in the contest providing they prove their worth in March!!

8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

For those who have not read their BB yet..what is the gist of the article? When will the contest start? How will the bands be selected for it?

9. Chris Sanders

Its a long article so i'll just pick out the major points;

The event will be known as 'the English National Brass Band Championship'.

'Planning to introduce a number of new features, including the possibility of exploring new adjudication methods, greater audience interaction and a timetable for the day, designed towards making the event more enjoyable for bands, audiences and adjudicators alike.'

the BFBB explained that the top band from each of the six Regional Championships of 2005 would be invited, toghether with eight other highest ranked bandsfrom an accredited ranking system, as at 1 January 2006.

The champion band would then qualify as the English representitive for the EBBA European Brass Band Champioships the following year.

A total of £11,000 prize money, with a £5,000 jackpot for the winning band.

Profit going to 'Youth Band Trust'

"This even will be an event run by bandspeople for bandspeople and that's just how it should be"

10. Chris Sanders

11. rumtetumtetum

rumtetumtetum New Member

When is the final line up for the "all new shiny 2005 international england masters" going to be released? A number of other bands have (allegedly) been invited in a "second round" of invitations to make up the numbers after the serious shortfall of acceptances from the top bands...any truth in this rumour or will we the audience just have to wait and see who rolls up to the corn exchange in May?

12. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

The Lineup for the 2005 International Masters is :
    1st OLD BOYS SEACAT BAND
    AVELEY AND NEWHAM
    BRASS BAND BURGERMUSIK LUCERNE
    BRASS BAND WILLEBROEK
    BUY AS YOU VIEW BAND
    FLOWERS BAND
    FODENS RICHARDSON
    RANSOME BAND
    REDBRIDGE BAND
    REG VARDY ( ER ) BAND
    SCOTTISH CO-OP BAND
    SELLERS INTERNATIONAL BAND
    SWT WOODFALLS BAND
    TRAVELSPERE HOLIDAYS BAND
    TREDEGAR TOWN BAND
    WHITBURN BAND

By the looks of the press release there are no other invitations. so just rumour by the sounds of it

13. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Just 9 English Bands? Very International then....

14. rumtetumtetum

rumtetumtetum New Member

well, I can name 4 bands (although I wont as there must be a reason the contest organisers are keeping it quiet) who have been invited and at least 2 of those have accepted, so the published line up is not yet complete.

15. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Go on tell us........ :D
    Is it just me or is british banding just one big joke which isn't funny anymore. :(

16. Pierre

Pierre Member

new list

Doesn`t the list in BB have Carlton Main Frickley in it aswell????

17. Humphrey

Humphrey Member

Deja Vu!! Where have I heard all of this before??..... and they're not planning to make a profit?
    We already have a perfectly acceptable Nationals and anybody wishing to see ALL the top English bands in action can go to Birmingham in September.
    If bands are to survive (in these days of lost sponsorships) they need to raise revenue. Yet another contest in the calendar is more likely to worsen a bands financial situation (even for Dyke or YBS... witness the British Open 2004).

As for all this "English National (Land of Hope and Glory) Brass Band Championship" tosh; I'll give them 3 years before they rename it as the "English International (all-comers) Brass Band Championship" and then we can go through this thread all over again.

18. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Does anybody know if the Master's has a new test piece in 2005 or was that last year (I think they have a new piece commissioned every other year)

19. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Surely this means more competition between the competitions. The weakest will fail. Competition is good for the 'consumer'. In this case the consumer appears to be both the entering bands and the audience.

I get the impression that what isn't appreciated by Mr Banding Public is that an organisation, such as Besson, has so much influence over what is seen as 'our' contests. The reality is of course that they are 'their', (i.e. the sponsors), contests.

I think the Europeans are important to bands like Dyke and Grimethorpe (2 bands who didn't enter the All England Masters) and if the EBBA Europeans becomes the winner in the 2 horse European contest competition then I reckon bands like Dyke and Grimey will enter the EFBB contest if that proves the only way of qualifying for the EBBA Europeans.

Essentially, whether the EFBB English championships succeed depends upon whether the EBBA Europeans succeed. We wont know the answer of that for at least 3 years.

Time will tell.

Igg

20. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I think the 2005 test piece will be Cloudcatcher Fells. At least I remember reading that somewhere...