2004 U.S. Open Brass Band Championships - Results

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Lothianh, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

The results of the 2004 U.S. Open, held Saturday in Arlington Heights, Illinois, are now online, including a link to the complete scores.

www.prairiebrass.org/usopen/results.htm

Congratulations to the Brass Band of Central Florida who put on a spectacular show, both musically and visually. Also to the Fountain City Brass Band from Kansas City, who took 2nd prize. One of the adjudicators commented during the awards banquet that the top performances would have been competative on any stage, anywhere in the world. If Central Florida keeps this up, we may soon be referring to them in the same breath as Stavanger when talking about bands that combine top-flight musicianship with innovative staging. (And yes, I've seen and heard Stavanger, so I know what I'm saying!!)

-Lothian

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Central Florida
    2004 U.S. Open
    Fountain City Brass Band
  3. SteveT

SteveT Member

Well done Dearham!

Just a note to say well done to Dearham band from West Cumbria who came 3rd at the US Open Championships! Dearham are the band that I started playing with 36 years ago as a 13 year old.

They managed to raise £25,000 to partake in the competition and as if this mamoth task wasn't enough, they came a very creditable 3rd. Not bad for a 3rd section band.

Mark Condron (their MD) deserves a big pat on the back for helping to motivate the band to such a first class result.

Well done to old my old friends...... keep up the good work.

Stephen Tighe

4. rightnowmusic

rightnowmusic Member

I absolutely agree with you Stephen. The Dearham Band did a fantastic job in both Fundraising and playing this weekend. 3rd Place was well deserved !

It was also nice to eventually meet the band after several emails flying back and forth before they arrived in the States.

We all hope to see them again soon

Well Done ! :D

Mark

5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Mark,

Did you buy LaserBeamBass the promised drink???

6. rightnowmusic

rightnowmusic Member

Let's just say it was mentioned ! :D

We met once, and then never saw each other again..... guess the hotel was bigger than I thought ! Hehehe

Good to see him though :D

7. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Not only did I meet LaserBeamBass, but I was also treated to some of his apparently bottomless supply of off-colour jokes during the wee hours of Sunday morning at a post-banquet party. Can't say I bought him a drink, though, unless he had some of the bottle of scotch we were consuming. :D

-Lothian

8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

What a grerat weekend. The brass band movement in the USA is certainly beginning to realise it's potenetial. The US Open Brass Band Championship in it's second year has produced a brilliant entertainments contest with some outstanding performances. Not least the winning band Central Florida, who obviously put a lot of time and effort into creating a special performance. Also the British representatives this year who had a rather tough act to follow (bearing in mind it was Foden's last year and they won), who did the country proud by going on stage and performing at a level that belies their current 3rd Section status. A big hearty well done to everyone at Dearham band, including the supporters that also made the 3900 mile trip to Illinois.

If you can spare the money and time next year, I would highly recommend going as part of a band or just to be in the audience. It is a spectacle well worth seeing and being a part of.

Well done to 4barsrest for finally getting a prediction right, i.e., 1 Bush 2 Kerry LOL

Clark and Dallas and all the unnamed people at Prairie Brass who had the foresight a few years ago to get this contest up and running. Linda for being the host of the post contest-banquet party, and for introducing the lads and lasses of the North West of England to Southern Comfort. She could have told them it was liquor and not to be drunk as if it were a pint (20 Fl Oz for our US readers LOL)

Frank Renton for his ability to produce quotes that were on a par with Winston Churchill. Mr Renton was being heckled and fired back with "Madame, I may not have a lot of hair on my head, but at least it is all mine"

I deny telling any off colour jokes as Lothian H described, because the ones I told were not the sickest, I was just setting out my stall to determine whether the people left at 3.30 am were able to live with some of the more gruesome ones. Looking back, no chance.

Lothian, don't forget about the trick of the needle in your cigar to keep the ash at the tip from falling off.

All in all a very good few days in Chicago / Arlington Heights. Found a really good hangover cure. Go up the Sears tower and look around. The view takes your breath away, and equally takes away the hangover. This is of course is until you come back down the 103 floors at 1600ft per minute.

I would like to thank everyone at Dearham band, because I made some fantastic new friends and will be looking to meet up with them in the new year.

This is especially for Mark from Rightnowmusic, you didn't even offer me a drink when the bar was free [​IMG]

9. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Tom, Linda has asked me to point out that over here, real lads and lasses DO drink SoCo by the pint!! :D

Thanks for your kind comments about the event in general - in our planning we have spent a lot of time thinking about what kind of event WE would want to go to, and it's great to know that we seem to be on the mark!

And Dearham - how great was that?!! They raised a ton of money, came all this way, performed very very well, made a bunch of new friends, and seem to have had a great time to boot! That's just fantastic!

I'd like to second LBB's comments above - we'd love to see more folks from the UK, Europe, or anywhere else in the rest of the world at the U.S. Open next year. Anyone thinking of coming next year or looking for more information, please get in touch!

-Lothian

10. SteveT

SteveT Member

Dearham Band

Just a note to say that there is an excellent write up on 4BR which shows a picture of my old friend John McGlaughlin as Stan Laurel!

Just as an aside, Stan laurel was born in Ulverston which theses days is in Cumbria, where Dearham band come from!

Not alot of people know that!

ST

11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm definitely going to try to make it next year. Hopefully, I can get one (or both) of my bands to come too!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Central Florida
    2004 U.S. Open
    Fountain City Brass Band