2004 Highlight of the Year for You&Your Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ian perks, Dec 28, 2004.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

So as 2004 draws to a close,
    hat do you consider to be the HIGHLIGHT for your band,maybe its a National /Area win or a great concert you have done.
    For me it was a Concert in September in Burton Town Hall which we put on ourselves and had a huge sucess which as made do the same for next year:)
  2. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i think a definate highlight for me, and haydock band, has to be when we won wilkinsons contest in november, we came away with 4 trophies i think (the stan cook trophy-awarded to best sop player, Northern Open
    Championship trophy, The Tom Wall Trophy, and the Golden Jubilee Cup- presented to the bands musical director), and ive been told that we are the first local band (within st helens??? :dunno ) to get first spot in the championship section.

the trophies will definately take pride of place in our band room, especially the stan cook trophy, as stan used to play sop with haydock 30 years ago.
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

After two years of serious instablity, including losing almost half the band and going through four conductors in two years, finally found an outstanding MD who's brought the band back up to their previous standard in less than six months.
  4. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

For me, the highlight was winning the 4th section areas with Dunfermline, their first outright win in the Scottish Championships in their 112 year history, and won 7 (I think?) trophies and 4th section band of the year, which was collected at the Scottish Open. All in all, 2004 was the most sucessful year in the bands history, and it was good to be a part of it! :D
  5. lister89

lister89 Member

My highlight was joining Besses :)
    I've never played in top section before and my first contest was the Scottish Open playing next to Dave Thornton... doesnt get much better!
    Been quite a year :)
  6. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

For me, it’s got to be qualifying for the Nationals in Harrogate, and all the fun we had while we were up there. :biggrin:
  7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Highlights....sell out concerts again this year( spring , summer , autumn and winter concerts and apperences at the Beaumaris Festival) , also the visit of Stavanger Band with Morten Hansen , our entertainment competition apperances not to the judges taste but was great to play very different and challenging programs.

IYOUNG Member

For us at Marlow Band the highlight was definitely our sell out Autumn Concert in Beaconsfield with John Lewis and Steve Miles from B&R as our guests. The quality playing, sheer professionalism of these two guys was amazing but above all it was their complete friendliness working a 4th section standard band that will live with us for a very long time.

we are still basking in it all now

9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

My highlight of 2004 was winning the North-West Area with Leyland Band under Garry Cutt... I shall never forget our performance, and my reaction when I heard our bands name being read out.

:) :-D
  10. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

11. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

The highlight for me has been seeing Flixton really pull itself together under Kevin's Baton. Even though we are getting demoted in Jan we have proved that we can more than hold our own in the 2nd section being in the prizes in all the contests (5 trophies) we have entered since the area and I am really looking forward to the 3rd section areas in March.
  12. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Winning the area at the first go back in the 2nd section then a decent result (if not a "brilliant" performance at the finals)...then moving down to salford, tis fab!...still cant ****ing play a euphonium like :D
  13. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Good luck!...nice to see my old teacher judging...could always put in a word for you ;) ...lol,

P.S. for any1 who may take that seriously....i'm only joking!!!
  14. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

After a lacklustre Area contest result and the loss of 4 of our best players at the same time, we managed to hobble a band together 6 weeks later and came away with a prize at the Weston contest, we then went on to win the Exmouth Festival (2nd year running) and get another prize at Torquay in November all the while picking up good players.

We now have a stronger and more committed band than 12 months ago and knowing that banding success can be a "fickle mistress" while everything is rosy at present, the next disaster is just around the corner!

Ian Heard

Soundhouse Brass.
  15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

yea, I must say, being an ex Soundhouser (and still big supporter and player when I can)... this band has been through it's ups and downs and always pulled through it.... Played with them for the Exmouth contest, which well deserved the win.... another highlight for me, as we came away with best percussion section too! :-D

Hope to see you guys before I dash off back up North!!! xx
  16. deave

deave Member

Th'open....grandshield would've been canny like...but I was on paternity leave
  17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

A bitter-sweet highlight for me. The charity concert Wigston staged in honour of my Dad and Father-in-law who both passed away suddenly in late 2003. The band played superbly, despite a challenging program, and we raised over £1000 for the British Heart Foundation too. It was also the last big concert the band played at before we lost a few players due mainly to relocation so in that sense it was a closing of a chapter in a number of ways.

So for the band 2004 was a rebuilding year, but - and I guess this may be another highlight, the 2nd place in our own back yard at the Leicester contest was an unexpected high point in the year. Now if we can just carry that momentum through into 2005...
  18. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Realising that the screams at the end of the bar in the Goat were coming from members of our band!!! (And that we'd come 3rd at the nationals)
    Also, playing on beach in the South of France, meeting the LA Symphonic Winds, and the people of LA Croix Valmer, who were fab- and I want to go every year!!!
  19. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I second that.

A specific highlight of 2004 for me was our playing of "Purcell Variations" at the Fleetwood Contest. I think that was our best contest performance of the year. The audience liked it and lots of people afterwards said that they had enjoyed our performance. Personally I have never played so well or been so totally focused as I was for that performance on that day. If we can achieve that level of playing in all our contests , then 2005 will be a very interesting year.
  20. Fridge

Fridge Member

Mine have to be

5th at The Open ( my first open as well)
    2nd at Spennymoore ( ignoring the sickness ( my first spennymoore))
    Playing at the Royal Albert Hall twice!! Once with my County youth Brass Band woo!! go EAST SUSSEX!! And once with all the nice chaps and chapesses of The BT Band. thanks for the invite guys!!