20/20 Brass Banding

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Jul 13, 2009.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I've noticed on 4br that there is the suggestion of creating the equivalent of 20/20 cricket for brass banding to draw in more audiences...what do you all think this would/should look like? What do audiences really want to hear?

Part of me worries that pandering to the audiences will lead to only arrangements and no new brass band pieces.

My idea...I think that the West Lothian contest might be a good start for a model...only why not have more bands?
    Round 1-Start with 12 bands. The first round takes place on 4 concert dates. The 4 winners get through, and the next 5 highest results also get through.
    Round 2-There are 9 bands over 3 concert dates. The 3 winners get through, and the next 2 highest results also get through.
    Semifinals-There are 6 bands over 2 concert dates. The 2 winners get through, and the next highest result also get through.
    Final-Top three bands (including the two winners) compete.

Over the course of the contest prizes are given for best march, solo, section piece, percussion section, new brass band composition, etc... (Round prizes are given out as well as a prize for the entire contest)

If this took place over 10-weeks from late April-June it could be great for lower section (non-spring festival bands within close proximity)

Just my 2p on 20/20 brass banding...others' thoughts?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It sounds like an expensive venture.

3. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

20/20 banding already exists in the form of march contests. No need to reinvent the wheel...

4. Red Dog Brass

Red Dog Brass Member

Self publicity again, but have a look at The Big Brass Bash 2010, via www.reddogbrass.com

I am trying to promote something that i believe will work and hopefully be an outstanding fun, family day with an open ents contest and lots of fabulous community, youth and other performances. It's difficult trying to be something for all, now I can only hope that there is a real interest out there!

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Touche...however, I don't know that march contest would work indoors from Sept-May?

6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

It wouldn't have to, the regular contest season is run then. From what I read, the ethos of the 20/20 banding was to try to take band contesting to a wider audience in a similar way to how 20/20 has against test cricket.

The march contests currently being run do just that. They tend to attract much bigger crowds.

7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

The Kippax entertainment contest consists of several heats over several weeks culminating in a grand final.

I'm told it is a great success with capacity audiences in the Band Club Concert room on each occasion.

See www.kippaxband.co.uk and click on "Entertainment Contest"

It's as near to 20/20 banding as we have at present.

- Wilkie (Rtd from active banding)

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Smaller contests could be run alongside local festivals and gala days where crowds & bands are going to be guaranteed. 15 minute programmes would provide entertainment as well as bands trying their best to impress the judges. It's a bit like turning the clock back. In Scotland, pipe band contests seem to parallel Highland Shows even today.

9. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

My concern is that a lower section band may have, say, 5 really good concert pieces in their repertoire, which they use in their first round.

Then, a week or three later, they need another five ... which they haven't got.

Meanwhile, a top/upper section band have umpteen (or more than 5 ;) ) pieces, and, being quite good, can knock up another few decent pieces in pretty short order.

And come the next round....

So if, as I suspect, prize money comes from entry fees, there's a migration of cash from the needy to the better off... (or lower to upper section bands)

Alternatively, the audience hear some cracking short programmes in the first round, and then the same programmes in the second round, and then don't come back.

Add the cost of travel/transport, and I don't see many lower section bands taking part :(

10. floppymute

floppymute Member

The idea of an outdoor entertainments contest aimed at the general public is nothing new. I recall a successful venture back in the 70's at Park Hall near Chorley in Lancashire, the present site of Camelot Theme park. Drew in very big crowds. They're a great idea.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    brass
    4br
    bands
    results
    Part