2 new toys

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Highams, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Highams

Highams Member

2. Highams

Highams Member

3. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

looks Like a Lot of Work, do you fully restore these or just clean them up for looking at ?
  4. Highams

Highams Member

5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I inherited a 1923 Boosey and Co Euphonium. most of the plating was good and I had it pretty much restored including the Valve replating and machining. Has a realy good sound, well worth the restoration.
  6. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

And I thought I had lots of instruments!
  7. Highams

Highams Member

lol, I try only to collect ones of interest or that are different rather than have lots, hence the 5 valves/Enharmonics, Cavalry Tuba & this baby SA model.

8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Are you interested in tenor horns Charley? I've got an old one you can have for the cost of postage if you want it. Fully working order (valves and slides), low pitch. Engraved Hawkes and Son Excelsior Sonorous.
  9. Highams

Highams Member

'Dumpy' is finished.

The baby SA euph weighs in an extra 2lbs heavier than anything else, and that 4th. valve is of tuba dimensions!

Also awaiting its turn after the Hawkes 5v, a Butler of Haymarket 4v Euphonium, missing a m/piece receiver, but a nice quality instrument. Engraved Tomdu Coronation Band 1902. (Defunct Welsh Band)

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k309/highams/Vintage Euphoniums/

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here's a question for you, Charley. It's well established that you have collected and restored lower brass instruments for quite a few years. What do you do with all of them? Have you got them exhibited anywhere or do you just keep them in storage?
  11. Highams

Highams Member

Currently I have around 15 usable euphoniums. I try to collect ones of interest rather than just numbers, hence the three 5 valve versions (Highams, Highams-Sax & Hawkes), the Hawkes Dictor and the Besson Enharmonic 3 & 4 valve.

They are all used in my recitals, mostly on a rotation basis, but it also depends on what music I'm attempting on them;

I exhibited at the recent Black Dyke Arts Festival in Leeds and over a dozen or so were available to pick up and blow, if you could!

You really don't know you're born with todays instruments!

Of course the sound has changed too, along with bells and bore sizes. I use the Doug Elliott screw rim/cup/shank system to save on large numbers of m/pieces.

12. Highams

Highams Member

In investigating the build date of the Hawkes 5v numbered '28' (we believe those were numbered seperate from the main production line), I had an interesting response from Denis wick;

Hello Charley, My researches would suggest that this instrument probably dates from about 1890 or earlier. One clue is that before the Gerard Conn visit in 1888 when he persuaded several Hawkes people to work for him in USA, the old (French) tooling had been used. I suggest you check the bore size through the valves, i.e. the slide bores. It will be metric if it is earlier than 1888. Stephen's original Cavalry Model Eb tuba, from 1880 was metric. It also had oval valve ports,which later (1900 or earlier) appeared on Conn tubas. I bought an 1890 model which I thought could be cannibalised to add a 5th valve, but discovered it had a (slightly smaller) imperial bore. I also have some contemporary (euphonium) mouthpieces and realise that most heavy modern mps are not likely to give the best results with these instruments.I have read that there were 45,000 UK brass bands in 1890, 70,000 in 1895 and 90,000 in 1903. What happened to all those instruments?

All best, as ever....Denis