2 days only - Vote for the new tMP logo!

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by tMP Paul, Jul 18, 2016.

Which designs do you like best? Select as many as you want.

Poll closed Jul 19, 2016.

0 vote(s)

2 vote(s)

1 vote(s)

3 vote(s)

1 vote(s)

2 vote(s)

1 vote(s)

0 vote(s)

10 vote(s)
  10. Bah! Stick with the original logo we have now!

7 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tMP Paul

tMP Paul Administrator Staff Member

Hi all, the staff here thought we might be due for a new logo, so we launched a contest on 99designs. The 1st round just finished and we have some candidates. Now we need your help selecting finalists!

We have 2 days to select up to 6 designers whom we want to advance to the next round.

Please indicate in the poll which designs you like best, and if you like one that's not listed (I could only choose 10), just reply to this post!

2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Sorry to be negative but none of the designs appeal to me and only No 5 (simple but too small image of a Bugle) came near to doing so. Not one picture of a Cornet but plenty of Trumpets and pictures of Saxaphones, do the people who created the designs understand that TMP is fundimentally about Brass Bands or have I not understood something?
  3. tMP Paul

I should provide more details. In the first round (which the above set represents), designers submit their initial sketches. We then select 6 finalists and provide them with feedback, and they submit their revised designs, from which we get to choose 1 design.

So, for instance, if you like #5, feel free to vote for that one, and we can include a note in this next round asking them to use a different instrument or change the size, etc. Or feel free to vote to keep the existing logo!
  4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I get the initial sketches thing, but incorporating the 'wrong' instruments is a bit of a non-starter imho!
    And I think its a shame the contest was opened up on a different site and not offered to the members who actually use this one....
    ari01 and 2nd tenor like this.
  5. tMP Paul

I love the idea of community members submitting designs! Please, if you have one in mind, go ahead and share it.

FWIW, the main reason I started the design is because 99designs is probably the most affordable way to access a large body of designers, and you can direct and guide their work. So we, as a community, can aggregate our feedback, provide it to the designers whose work we like the most, and shape the logo the way we want it. It requires some imagination and a few iterations, but usually the end product is very good. In addition, the designers will also usually generate 10-20 files meeting various technical requirements (transparent background, white background, inverted colors, favicon for your website, etc.), which is nice. Finally, at the end of the project, the designers transfer all copyright to the client (tMP in this case).

BTW, I thought about starting a poll first to see if folks even wanted to change the logo at all, but I thought that it would be easier to make a decision with some candidates to consider, so I went ahead with getting some starting designs from 99designs so we could picture some alternatives, knowing I would have to eat the cost of if the community didn't like any of them.

Hope that's helpful!
  6. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Brass Bands do not I REPEAT do not have saxophones ! If this site cant get that then god help the movement !
    Accidental likes this.
  7. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

You might regret that.
  8. tMP Paul

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Due to overwhelming UNpopularity of the new logo designs and this approach in general, I'm going to close the poll and work with the staff on a different path forward. We'll work with the designers on the next few iterations to get them into the right context.
  9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

If you are going to do this kind of thing in future, could you please make sure it is more widely publicised? I come on here nearly every day and I completely missed it!

I, personally, feel that a new logo design is a good idea, but even in the initial stages, the designers need to know who they are catering for. So, no Trumpets, Bugles, Saxophones, French Horns or any woodwinds or strings of any kind. The use of the initials tMP or tMp or the whole "themouthpiece.com" should be encouraged. I also think it would be nice if some of our artistic members were given the opportunity to submit a design. It would give us a bit of 'ownership'. BTW, I can't draw for toffee, so I'm not looking to enter something like this. Just my thoughts!
    Leveridge96, Accidental and 2nd tenor like this.
  10. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Maybe even include a nice big pair of Elmer Fudds for us conasewers ! :D:D:D
  11. tMP Paul

Thanks, mikelyons. I think this is all great. I'll start a new thread to invite community-submitted designs.