1st section own choice test pieces!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jimmythesaint, Mar 2, 2005.

1. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint Member

Looking for some information from other 1st section bands who have been in the prizes at an own choice contest.
    Us at Jackfield Band often do own choice contests but always struggle to choose pieces to play. So I figure if you guys can tell me what you have played at own choices in the past this might assist us in choosing our next piece!! And also where, when and what was your result! Cheers guys
    Many thanks
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

Royal Parks
    Land of the Lond White Cloud
    Tallis Variations
  3. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Recently we ahve done Ok with

We try to find something that will stretch us and that we will enjoy rehearsing/playing - not sure what we are doing this year
  4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Excalibur (Jan Van der Roost) is a nice own choice piece...
  5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

The Forest of Dean - Derek Bourgeois
    Symphony of Marches - Gilbert Vinter
    Five Blooms in a Welsh Garden - Gareth Wood
    Endeavour - Philip Sparke
  6. flatatone

flatatone Member

7. Ali

Ali Member

You could try a few of these:
    Variations on a ninth
    Land of the Long White Cloud
    Shine as the Light
    Journey into Freedom
    Festival Music
    Les Preludes (The old version)
  8. HBB

HBB Active Member

THat's a nice piece!
    Diversions on a Bass Theme?
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

London Overture - Sparke
    James Cook, Circumnavigator - Vinter (in fact most of Vinters pieces)
    Downland Suite - Ireland (?)
    Ballet for Band - Horovitz (although just used at Butlins)
    Dances and Arias - Gregson - before you all jump on my back I have heard this played well by a 1st section band and jimmythesaint did say they wanted a challenge. ;)
  10. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

We've always done well with Purcell Variations. Diversions on a Bass Theme and Music for the Common Man are also excellent pieces to play.
  11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

We did quite well in the 1st Section at Folkestone a couple of years ago with "California Legend" (Bruce Broughton) - good if you're looking for something a bit different, as well.
  12. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

At the Carnagie contest last year, Ch/1st section bands played; Dances and Arias, Land of the long white cloud, un vie de matelot (sp?) and Trittico, and finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th respectively. Diversions on a bass theme all the way for me though! :)
  13. TubaBee

TubaBee New Member

Whitsun Wakes
    The Wayfarer
    London Ouverture
  14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Essence of Time is a good challenge for 1st section... played it with Blackburn at Preston contest last month... cracking piece.... and I'm sure a good chance of a win if you can pull it off :)

15. Ali

Ali Member

I forgot to add Golland's Concerto for Band and Vinter's Triumphant Rasberry to my list.
  16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Here are a few for you to try:
    A Kensinton Concerto(Used for 2003 Nationals)Eric Ball
    Passacaglia on a Theme of Brahms(Used for Area 2003)Arthur Butterworth
    Rhapsoy In Brass:Dean Goffin
    Coventry Variations(Used for 2004 Area)Bramwell Tovey
    Le Roi D'ys(Larlo arr Frank Wright) 1st Section Bands are quite capable of playing it to a goodish standard.
    I would love to see it at this years 1st Section National Finals

[​IMG] [​IMG]PERKS
  17. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

you have to be carefull what you pick to play in first section, becuase you have the worry or the adjudicator saying that the piece is too easy for the band (pieces like spectrum, triumphant rhapsody, royal parks, land of the long white cloud, even though they are hard are considered more 2nd section)
    The other hand is that you have the worry of the adjudicator saying that the piece is FAR too hard for the band, and theres a case of stretching the band and going too far. Ive heard first section bands attempt pieces like Paganini, variations of an enigma, cloudcatcher and absolutely ruin them!
    We have been quite succesfull playing pieces like Tritico (curnow) Pagentry (Howells) London Overture (Sparke) Coventry (Tovey)
  18. cornet.kid

cornet.kid Member

Tallis variations?
    Suite gothique?
    i think many of the best have alredy been said...
    Has this thread helped you ?
  19. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint Member

Very much so! considered replying to evryone individually and thanking them but thought I would do it when they slowed down a bit!!!
    Many thanks!!
  20. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Then we have the age old question - do you pick an easier piece that the band can play very well, or a harder piece with more pitfalls? Thats the tricky choice!