1st gig you ever did??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by StellaJohnson, Mar 18, 2009.

1. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Whats the first gig you ever did??

Mine was very memerable. Its at a cold farty village fate in Couldon Low. We never went there again!! There was nothing there apart from a slide, a milk stand and a man with some stand alone engines going. Obvoiusly spent there whole budget booking the band. It was like something from craggy island when they had there fate on Farther Ted. The most freaky thing was this old women with a hairy beard came up to tha band and asked if a Steve Shirt played for the band which he did and he denayed he knew her!!:D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Its
    band
    some
    nothing
    island
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

First brass band engagement was playing on the bandstand in Wolverhampton with the then Coventry Festival Band on 2nd horn, having attended practice for the first time the Thursday before ;)

4. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

My first gig was playing Christmas carols in Royton precinct with primary school band. I was 8. Crikey thats a fair while ago now!

5. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

First brass band gig was playing with Fulham Brass Band for a village fete type street fair thing in central London somewhere. That was the gig that ignited my love for the James Bond Collection.

First ever paid gig (trumpet) was playing in a brass quartet in the glamorous location of Focus DIY in Port Talbot - basically playing stuff like The Teddy Bears' Picnic all day long while staff handed out balloons.

6. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

My first brass band gig was the county brass band's annual concert at the Caird Hall in Dundee...aged 8.

The first gig I did with Staffs was playing at a 'concert' at the Manor Pub in Walsall...and was spent mainly laughing my head off, getting drunk and giggling at Hero (a visiting Japanese bari player) downing a pint of Guiness to 'Guaglione'...was very cool.

I didn't get home to bed until after 6am following being taken to a snooker club in Birmingham...got home just as my housemate was leaving for work lol!

7. wkt

wkt Member

My first band job was with my school band. We travelled about 40 miles from Belfast to Armagh, to play at the official opening of a new music block at a school. We were really late home, and being long before the days of mobile phones, parents were a bit put out. Many years later, I started to attend the annual Summer schools taken by a group of Fodens players, with morning sessions held in the same building. Now I make the same journey regularly as conductor of the local band.

My first brass band job was a Sunday parade and service. I went along to my first practice on a Friday night and, as a bass clef reader, was introduced to treble clef. 2 days later I was playing in the parade, and the principal cornet player had written the names of the notes under all the notes on my march cards. It would have been easier if he hadn't!

8. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

First ever gig.......i can't actually remember!!

9. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

u must be old:biggrin:

10. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

My first gig i did for Barnetby Junior band was the annual christmas concert held in the village in 1999. My first one for Barnetby Silver Band was at Immingham village hall back in 2002 (i think that was the year)

11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

First one for me was with Colchester Citadel YP band , aged about nine banging a bass drum in a methodist church hall at xmas.

When I started playing again in 2004 the first gig I did with Becontree was a "Last Night of The Proms " shidig in a village in Essex - all went well till we finished with 1812 - the fireworks were let off in an adjacent field but were perhaps not set up as well as they might have been , with the result being that we were virtually under fire and our MD Graham Sheldon had to physically dodge the rockets !!

First job with Ipswich , I depped at a German Beer Night where the band were allowed to drink ( it was a very light hearted affair ) !! Was on euph that night and after several bottles of strong german beer I sounded like David Childs and the band like Dyke !!! At least as far as I can remember...!! :)

( I won't mention the time I "helped" them out previously on second cornet !! Truly I can say that Phil McCann has never sounded like I did that afternoon !! )

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Its
    band
    some
    nothing
    island
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

By the river at Bolton Abbey in June 2000 with three rehearsals and two lessons under my belt from new.

I was on solo Eb bass (because there wasn't a second) couldn't play anything faster than a crotchet because my brain couldn't work the rhythms out, and I had to leave out all the accidentals except F# because I didn't know what valves they were on.

(Some might say not much has changed since then...)

It was a bit odd really, because in YBS Junior band, I was the fourth youngest member at 21 years old. In fact we did once turn up to play a gig and found jelly and ice cream had been laid on for half-time... which was ace!!

Maybe that's why they're now YBS Community brass....

14. My first ever gig with a band was with Dumfries & Galloway Concert band and we travelled to Coleraine. It was some music partnership thing and we joined with an irish band under the baton of Nigel Bodice.

My first brass band gig was Land O' Burns Contest, Troon, 2006. Only a few weeks after joining - scary for wee me! Never really played timps then (in fact it was my 2nd time) and had to play them in Breezin' Down Broadway. Not really looked back since.

15. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

1st ever gig - Nuneaton Salvation Army Y.P. Band, christmas 1972, on the back row of horns (yes 2 rows of horns).

My memory is probably misleading me but I think we played the march Temple 85.

16. Listening Helps !

Listening Helps ! New Member

My first gig Temple Newsom. Park job played frisby but no notes. Geat at miming.