1st Annual Forest of Dean Solo and Ensemble Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by GingerMaestro, Jul 10, 2006.

1. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Can I take this moment to say what a great time me and my daughter and I'm sure I speak for everyone else who competed in the contest had yesterday.

It was well organised (with a few teething problems (but only to be expected as this was the first of what I hope will be many more over the years) The adjudicators were fair and constructive in thier remarks.

I would especially like to thank first and formost Kristyann Symonds for getting the event off the ground, I know she put a huge amount of work in to make the day a sucess, also all the members of Bream Silver Band who helped Kristyann out with supplying refreshments and working behind the scenes with the administration of the event and Lakers School for providing a great venue.

I believe the event will take place on the same weekend next year so please do come and support it.

A final well done goes to all of the kids and adults who took to the stage.
    Seeing all those kids from under 11 to 18 the future of banding looks bright and some of the performances were superb

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Kristyann Symonds
    clap
    event
    adjudicators
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Martin - do you have any results for us? Would be good to publlish those.

4. GingerMaestro

Sorry not as yet but I am hoping that Kiz7 will be online later to post them up for you

The only ones I can remember are the classes I was in

Open Slow Melody

1. Martin Musto - West Mercia Police (Cornet)
    2. Kristyann Symonds - Bream Silver (Cornet)
    3. Tracey Screen - Bream Silver (Tenor Horn)

Open Air Varie

1. Steve Fiddler (Trombone)
    2. Martin Musto (Tenor Horn)

Best Upper Brass Soloist
    Martin Musto - West Mercia Police (Cornet)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  5. GingerMaestro

If anyone else on here went and had as good time as me and my daugter then please let me know

6. jpbray

jpbray Member

Yes, it was good day and appeared to be well attended. I am a bit disapponted there is nothing yet on 4BR news desk refering to a successful day.

Just a commment a lot of the solo and quartet comp seem to give the impression they are soley for youth. So it was great to see a good turn out in the open classes. It might be a nervy time standing up or in my case sitting with the BBb to perform, but once you have done your bit you get a nice sense of achievement, and hopefully it should help your playing. So please more adults taking part in these sorts of contests.

7. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Give me a chance fellas - working on it. They will all be processed and on here in the next hour or so and then emailed to 4barsrest. (Did have to go to work and sleep at some point so haven't quite finished them yet!)

8. GingerMaestro

C'Mon Kris

There are 24hrs in a day I know you are busy but a few results won't take long LOL!!:biggrin:

9. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

CLASS: 1a - under 11 Slow melody. Adjudicator: Mr Andy Culshaw
    1st Samantha Ford Tenor horn Lydney Training
    2nd David Crowe Euphonium Lydney Training
    3rd Gavin Moulsdale Flugel horn Upper Rhonda

CLASS: 1b - 11 to 14 Slow melody. Adjudicator: Mr Andy Culshaw
    1st Alanah Moulsdale Cornet Upper Rhonda
    2nd Christopher Smith Euphonium
    3rd Ieuan Williams Tenor horn Upper Rhonda

CLASS: 1c - 15 to 18 Slow melody. Adjudicator: Mr Lyndon Price
    1st Rhysian James Cornet Upper Rhonda
    2nd Lori Warsop Euphonium Forest of Dean Area Wind
    3rd Ieuan Williams Tenor horn Upper Rhonda

CLASS: 1d - Open Slow melody. Adjudicator: Mr Lyndon Price
    1st Martin Musto Cornet West Mercia police
    2nd Kristyann Symonds Cornet Bream Silver
    3rd Tracey Screen Tenor horn Bream Silver

CLASS: 2a - under 11 air and variations. Adjudicator: Mr Andy Culshaw
    1st Gavin Moulsdale Flugel Upper Rhonda
    2nd Rhiannon Symonds Trombone Bream Silver

CLASS: 2b - 11 to 14 air and variations. Adjudicator: Mr Andy Culshaw
    1st Ieuan Williams Tenor horn Upper Rhonda
    2nd Christopher Smith Euphonium
    3rd Ben Stratford Bartione Parkend

CLASS: 2c - 15 to 18 air and variations. Adjudicator: Mr Lyndon Price
    1st Rhysian James Cornet Upper Rhonda
    2nd Samuel Davis Cornet Lydbrook
    3rd Francis Ruck Trombone Forest of Dean Brass

CLASS: 2d - Open air and variations. Adjudicator: Mr Lyndon Price
    1st Steve Fidler Trombone Bream Silver
    2nd Martin Musto Tenor horn West Mercia police

CLASS: 3a/3b - junior duets. Adjudicator: Mr Lyndon Price
    1st Rhiannon Symonds & Rebekkah Musto Trombone & Tenor horn Bream silver & Winchcombe
    1st Matthew Hurst & Matthew Hooper Cornets Dene Magna school
    2nd Lori Warsop & Ella Warsop Euphonium & cornet Forest of Dean Area Wind

CLASS: 3c - Adult & child under 16 duet. Adjudicator: Miss Kate Williams
    1st Rhiannon Hayes & Phil Hayes Flugel & Euph Chepstow Town
    2nd Brenton Screen & Tracey Screen Cornet & tenor horn Bream Silver
    3rd Samantha Ford & Kevin Ford Tenor horns Lydney Training

CLASS: 4a/4b - junior quartets. Adjudicator: Mr Andy Culshaw
    1st Quadraphonic KixMusic
    1st Quadraphonic Too KixMusic
    2nd Dragon Cornets Upper Rhonda
    2nd Golden Cornets Upper Rhonda

CLASS: 4c - Open quartets. Adjudicator: Mr Andy Culshaw
    1st Huw’s Hangovers Bream Silver
    1st Bream Buskers Bream Silver
    2nd Quadraphonic KixMusic

Special Awards
    Player of the Day: Gavin Moulsdale, flugel, Upper Rhonda
    Most promising junior: Christopher Smith, Euphonium
    Best upper brass soloist: Martin Musto, cornet & horn, West Mercia
    Best lower brass soloist: Francis Ruck, trombone, Forest of Dean Brass
    Adjudicator’s award: Alanah Moulsdale, cornet, Upper Rhonda
    FofD School of Brass award: Rhiannon Symonds, Trombone & baritone, Bream Silver

10. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

results are also on 4 bars rest now. Thank you to eveyone who attended, it was indeed a successful day. The adjudicators were excellent, I thought I had organised it well (although there may some who thought I hadn't??? - let me know!) and the performances were of a very high calibre from everyone.

Of particular note, was the standard of playing in the 11 to 14 slow melody category which had 25 entries! Any 1 of about 6 competitors could have won this class, such was the high standard, but a big congratulations to the winner Alanah Moulsdale. Also, worthy of a special mention for her 2 wins in the 15 to 18 classes is Rhysian James. Fantastic playing Rhysian - are you sure you are only 15???

It would be nice to see even more of the youngsters have a crack at the air and variations section, and also, much more adult entries.

I was really pleased with the day overall, BUT I was more than a little disappointed with the support from the bands from within the GBBA - only Bream, (11 competitors), Forest of Dean Brass (1), Cheltenham (4) , Lydbrook(2), Lydney Training (2) , Parkend (1) and Pillowell (1) were represented - a total of 21 competitors out of 99! Bit of a poor show when you think about some GBBA bands that have got flourishing training bands/youth sections.

Next year's contest will take place on Sunday 8th July 2007 at Lakers School, Berry hill, Coleford, Glos. Book the date in your diary folks and come along and have a great day!

Congratulations to all the prize winners and thank you to all competitors

Kristyann

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  11. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

sincere apologies - just noticed a mistake in the results:

15 to 18 slow mellody section SHOULD read

= 3rd Francis Ruck, trombone, Forest of Dean Brass & Tom Folland, Tenor horn, Cheltenham Silver

SORRY GUYS!
    K

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Kristyann Symonds
    clap
    event
    adjudicators
  13. GingerMaestro

Can I just say again, a big well done to Kristyann and the gang from Bream band. The event was well organised and great fun to be involved in. I agree that you could have had a bit more support from some of the other GBBA bands but thats their loss not yours.

Yes there were a few teething troubles with the official pianists but nothing that can't be ironed out for next year.

This event went as well as some of the more established solo contests around if not better, and you and your back room team deserve a big pat on the back for that

Well Done

P.S My daughter and I will definately be back next year

14. GingerMaestro

Just a slight mistake in your post Kris you missed out Winchcombe as one of the GBBA representitives. Represented by Rebbekah Musto

15. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Sorry Martin - indeed I did miss Winchombe out.

The problem with pianist wasa not just down to the official pianist - 1 band had a very large entry an their pianist was often needed in 2 places at the same time which meant that other things got out of synch. Also, one competitors accompanist could not be found when they were due to pay as they had left for a bit and then returned later but got their timings wrong! There will be 2 official accompanists all day next year(not just from 10.30 as there was this year) but I am not sure that it is possible to completly prevent these sorts of problems. A degree of felxibility will always be needed I suspect.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006