16-year-old composes new march for Brass Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bandyfoz, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Bandyfoz

Bandyfoz New Member

16-year-old Eric Foster recently composed a new concert march for Brass Band.

The piece, entitled "The Devil's Punch Bowl march" was commissioned by the Haslemere Town Band, established 1837, to be played at the opening of the Hindhead tunnel in Surrey.

The Hindhead tunnel is a new bypass for the trunk-road of the A3, a twin-bored tunnel that is the longest non-esturial tunnel in the UK. It opened to traffic completely only yesterday, Friday 29th July 2011, but the piece was played by the band at an open day on 14th May 2011.

Here is the BBC report on the event, in which you can hear some of the music:

I am also trying to upload to Youtube the whole piece.

Any comments most welcome!
  2. Bandyfoz

Bandyfoz New Member

Ok everyone, I found the youtube link, and think it sounds great.

Considering this is a high-profile brass banding website, any comment (no matter how small) would be appreciated so I can tell the composer!
  3. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Short simple and cheerful. Nice use of counter melody, something i use in my work. Was the little glissando thing intensional at the beginning of the last phrase?
  4. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Considering this is a high-profile brass banding website, any comment (no matter how small) would be appreciated so I can tell the composer![/quote]

I'm guessing you are the composer ;). Sounds good, fair play, especially considering the circumstances of the performance!!
  5. winterman

winterman Member

Listened to both the YouTube and Beeb renditions and I have to say it is a catchy number and from my limited understanding of composition/arranging I think it captures the style of the "traditional" march well..

Well done! :clap:
  6. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

I think we should all unite and wish young Eric Foster every success with his compositions. The brass band world needs fresh music, and this will come from our younger composers.

Well done Eric!
  7. Bandyfoz

Bandyfoz New Member

Ah, too obvious! Yeah I am the composer...

I just thought that I'd point out that the bit the BBC recorded on Youtube was only the second part of the March, and they edited a bit out of that section anyway as time was running out!

Thank you for your comments, it's great to hear the wise words of the users of tMP!
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Upholding a fine old brass band tradition of comemmorating important events with specially-written marches. Long may it continue....

Congratulations. :clap:
  9. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Can someone tell me the video title please so I can find it on my phone. I can't click on the link from work! Thanks