12 Championship Section Bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Mar 2, 2005.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Why does the 12 Championship Section bands rule not apply to Yorkshire ?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire
    Championship Section bands rule
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

What specifically are you referring to Steve; and what makes you ask?

4. stevetrom

Looking at past results it seems the number of bands went up from 12 to 15 4/5 years ago and is staying at that level.

I thought the number of bands was to be limited to 12 - I'm not sure i agree with the idea as it can have a knock on effect in the lower sections - i just wondered why, and if the numbers were going to be reduced again ?

5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

So far as I'm aware there is no such rule. The 12 bands concept was a recommendation from previous organisers of the Nationals (the NCC I believe) but this was never written in stone.

It's very difficult to manage numbers of bands in any section owing to the complex promotion/relegation/appeals rules. For instance in the North of England only nine bands played in the Championship Section this year, plus one withdrawal, and so according to the rulebook only one band should be relegated. On the other hand, three bands should be promoted owing to a tie on points. This means that we could possibly have an entry of 13 bands next year, by simply following the rules. I understand that this is similar to the situation in the Yorkshire region a few years ago.

It shouldn't be the role of a regional committee to deny a band its rightful place in the Championship Section!

Cheers

D

6. stevetrom

or its rightfull place in the 1st Section if its results say ut should be relegated ?

7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

So are the merits of a "Championship Section Band" based on how they play and perform? If so...should all regions have the same number of Championship Section Bands...or should scores at contests and not placings decide which sections a band is in?

ie take a three year aggregate of their SCORES from areas...

540-600 (A*;)) Keeps you in Championship Section
    480-539 (A) puts you in first section
    420-479 (B) puts you in second section
    360-419 (C) puts you in 2rd section
    0 - 359 places you in fourth section

Maybe this could be used for WhatSharps? alternative grading system?

8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Don't all of the scores in all of the sections start with 200 points? So the aggregate point system as proposed above would only make sense if all the sections played the same test piece.

For example, in the North of England areas this year, Dearham (1st in 3rd section) scored 187, the same as Fishburn (4th in Championship section). Is Dearham really as good as Fishburn? No - If Dearham played the Championship section test piece they would probably score much lower.

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Right...good point, so either judges would half to begin adjucting their points accordingly, or the set maximum points would have to be adjusted...ie multiple the score times .9 for 1st section, .8 for second section, .7 for third, .6 for 4th

10. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I was under the impression it was due to there being two bands automatically qualifying for the nationals and that there is usually a maximum of 12 bands competing for the other 2 places

11. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Maybe because the yorkshire area is so fantastic they are able to claim more bands in the championship section??

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire
    Championship Section bands rule
  13. becks164

becks164 Member

to rite yorkshire is the best!!! we have the best bands i think in my opinon. but that is jst my opinon, i am so looking forwardto watching them this weekend! big it up sellers

14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

best bands in championships section on average i'd agree although yorkshire champ section could do with being cut by 2 or 3 bands..
    not lower sections though.. think north-west on average has the best lower section bands.

15. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Yup, I'd agree 15 is too many... but in my opinion 10 is too few (most other areas) 12 would be a nice number all round.

16. Ali

Ali Member

If I am right, its because there were 3 bands who were on equal points and therefore were all in line to be promoted. Because it would be unfair to draw straws all 3 were promoted, but only a couple went down. This has happened a couple of times now and that is why there are far too many bands in the Top section at Yorkshire. I also belive that there IS a 12 band rule that they try to enforce but because of the problem highlighted above, this was overlooked.

17. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Maybe this is where BBCBari's idea of using aggregate scores could be put to use. If there are 3 bands on equal footing in the regular grading, then perhaps the tie could be broken using the aggregate points method.

18. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Cos we're Mega!! :)

But on a serious note - We are we're ace!!

Mr. Mute is right as always! the 12 bads rule was a verbal discussion that once take place but nothing is written down. And in a few years we had several appeals to stay up and the Yorkshire commitee raftified them and it jus got bigger and bigger!

19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

To be honest with you in the Championship Section you should have 5 bands every year at the National finals.
    Thats going on the bands who are listed at this years regional.:clap:

20. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Don't sound so surprised!

Best of luck to your team for the weekend. See you in Harrogate this year?

D