102 year old emigrates

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mesmerist, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Did any of you happen to hear on the radio the gentleman aged 102 who emigrated yesterday to New Zealand? (His 87 year old wife is from there). He was articulate, funny and is in good physical health. He said he didn`t want to wake up aged 105 and wish he had gone across the world when he was 102!
    I thought he was an absolute inspiration to always be looking forward. What would you like to think you`ll be doing at that age?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    New Zealand
    gentleman aged
    good physical health
    year old wife
    absolute inspiration
  3. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

I think I will be on my 5th Liver and kidney transplant, should the rest of me make it that far ;-)

4. horn1

horn1 Member

I saw it on TV, he was fab! I'd like to think I'll still be up to adventures at that age too!

5. Blagger

Blagger Member

Good luck to him I say!:clap: :clap:

6. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Still trying to get the hang of the bass trombone part to "Essence of Time" I should think.

Best of luck to the gentleman concerned, and his wife as well! :clap: :clap:

7. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I had a patient at work who was 95 going on 55! He'd never been in hospital before ever and was chomping at the bit to get out so he could catch up with his "Munro-bagging" club (that's big hills in scotland by the way not some deviant practice) cos he only had 4 left to climb and had only started at 85!!! What a legend! Gaun the old folks!! :clap::tup

8. Mesmerist

hill climbing at 95 impressive!!!
    I`m quite impressed that my mum has done charity cycling in russia and chile and also climbed to base camp Everest when she was 66. She still cycles for fun doing about 40 miles each time.
    Sadly her fitness is not genetic

9. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Indeed. I hope I'm still up for the hills when I reach that age.

10. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I'm an ex fell runner (not joking) and still partake in excessive excercise (occasionally) on feet or 2 wheels.
    Any other keep fit loons out there?

PS I'm not 102 yet but past half way.

11. Mesmerist

I like running but havn`t done any since the night before we moved in November. I like the solitude and sense of freedom

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    New Zealand
    gentleman aged
    good physical health
    year old wife
    absolute inspiration
  13. Robhibberd29

I used to do a lot of running but my doctor didn't recommend it as he said it's bad for the joints so I stick to mountain biking nowadays. However, I'm only a very young spring chicken (relatively speaking) ;-)

14. steve butler

Can be bad for your joints if you're carrying too much weight or wear poor shoes or pound away on hard surfaces all the time, but other than that the benefits far outway the risks. I ran for years with Wakefield Harriers and several Doctors were members also.
    Admitted I have now had to cut down due to knee problems, but that was my fault for doing really high mileages on roads back in the 80's.
    Surprisingly Fell running is much easier on the back and joints, but it does need a bit of brain disengaging at times.
    Mountain biking is great though eh Rob? It keeps me feeling like a spring chicken - even though I'm more an old broiler ;)

15. Mesmerist

Anyone done Hashing? Is it fun?

16. steve butler

I did a some back in the sixties but I don't touch the stuff anymore :wink:

17. Robhibberd29

Yes Mr B I love mountain biking, I've bought a new one but not used it yet..thought I'd wait for the weather to improve first! I'm not as tough a cookie as that 102 year old! :)

18. Robhibberd29

Speaking of old inspirational guys and New Zealand, I was saddened today by the death of the most famous New Zealander ever, Sir Edmund Hillary at the age of 88. Alright, he hasn't made it to 102 yrs of age but what an inspiration! RIP