101 Dalmations (Not)

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by jackocorn, Mar 16, 2007.

1. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

MISS PITCH Member

that looks good! - have u purchased a copy yet? if so what level do u think is appropiate to introduce youth band members to it? we have a lot of 'learner' players who become very bored with god save the queen and largo...

F x
  3. mattkingston

mattkingston New Member

I may as well field that one, as I wrote it! The book covers a range of difficulties, with pieces suitable for beginners (it doesn't include God Save the Queen, but has a number of equally simple tunes), through to stuff that will be challenging for a Grade 8 player. My feeling was that kids will soon outgrow a book like Winners Galore, whereas with 101 they will always have something to work towards, thus helping their development as players.

I'd be more than happy to send you a complimentary copy for you to try out. Give me a call (07719 797893) or email me (matt@mattkingston.com) if you'd like to know any more.

Speak soon,
  4. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

Indeed I do have a copy. Whilst the pieces are graded (on a 6 star basis), I think that even the 1 star may not be suitable for ABSOLUTE beginners (above 3rd space C, etc) but like Matt says would be a useful tool for those that are starting to progress.

I also have the accompanying CDs (fine playing) that don't really do much for me as I am experienced enough to "know how it goes" (I hate really conductors who play at a rehearsal!) but again for beginners may be a handy pointer?