1000th No.1

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by WoodenFlugel, Jan 16, 2005.

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

So then, the 1000th number one single is a re-issue of a forty-seven year old song, that has racked up the lowest ever sales of a number one single - just 21,000 copies. It is appropriate that Elvis got it I guess but "One Night" is a long way from his best record (IMHO) - and whatever happened to new bands and innovation?

Does anyone actually listen to the charts anymore? Does anyone actually care??

Obviously I care enough to start this thread - but I can remember when the singles chart was an event, and meant something.

*sigh*

Rant over...:ranting2:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    One Night
    Elvis
    number
    Does
    long way
  3. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i dont care about the charts, the only time i vaguely do care is the christmas number one, otherwise its just aload of tunes that 8 year old girls vote for (sorree to anyone who does actually care n votes of goes out especially to buy the single or woteva)

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I must confess that I cannot understand how a re-issued track can qualify to be "the 1000th number one" :shock:

5. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Agreed... Unless it was the re-issue of Iron Maidens - Number of the Beast!!
    Reached number 3 a few weeks ago!! :metal:

6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I think the fact that the 1000th number 1 was a rerelease from an artist who has been dead since the seventies about sums up the rlevance of singles today.

I agree Elvis was a legend but then again the amount of singles sold to get that to number 1 yesterday was marginally higher than Atilla the Stockborkers song for Brighton football club a couple of weeks ago.

7. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I totally agree with you. I was listening to Radio one this morning and they were saying that the copy right is about to run out on Elvis song, so they plan to re-release an Elvis Single every week for the next 18 weeks Just to make a few extra pounds!!

8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I don't think the copyright on any Elvis recording is close to running out - even with the poor US copyright laws back in the 1950s and 1960s, they were still under copyright in 1978 when the updated US laws went into effect, so they would have been automatically extended into the new scheme. Even if they weren't, the term under the old US laws was 54 years, and all of the Elvis recordings were made after 1951, so they'd still be covered in any case.

However, it is probably true that the current copyright owners are picking up a few extra pounds by doing re-releases. It may also be true that there were contractual items for some of the recordings that permit wider release before the term of the copyright itself is over.

It's still an attempt to make some money, in any case.

9. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

[controversy] Was he really? Why? I truly don't think Elvis would have been so famous had he not died early. Cliff Richard, Tommy Steele, Joe Brown were all massively famous in the 50s in the UK and they are all, well, what are they now? Yes, yes, know all the arguments, Elvis first white singer to sound like a black singer, crossover, poor boy from South makes good, but he wasn't the only and others were better. [/controversy]

Fed up with 1000th No 1. should at least have been home grown oldie, like Beatles, Stones, Bowie etc.
    Badger hiding under computer desk to avoid missiles hurled at blaspheming infidel badger.
    xx :tongue:

10. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

How can you put Sir Cliff Richard in the same sentance...

The best thing he ever did was his collaboration with the Young Ones on a cover of Living Doll!!

11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I havent a clue what's in the charts at the moment and no, I dont really care either... I listen to the radio very rarely nowadays, and when I do when I'm driving around locally to Manchester I'm on Smooth FM anyway...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    One Night
    Elvis
    number
    Does
    long way
  13. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I hear your words my people and am displeased .You will all feel the wrath of Baritone Elvis for your sin of disbelief in the ways of the King !!!!

I will find you all , and play off-beat quavers and the solo bits from "Comedy" at you until you repent of your sins !!!

The Heretics must burn!!! The blood of the infidels will run in the streets!!

14. Cornishwomble

From the OED
    "Legend
    4, a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticised tales or exploits."

Lets face it if there is one person in the world whose character is exaggerated it's Elvis and I don't see many people flying to Vegas to get married by a Tommy Steele look a like!

Whether you rate his music or not he certainly can be classed as legendary

15. groovy

groovy Active Member

I do listen to the charts (although the presenter drives me insane) but don't buy singles, and I don't think it should have been Elvis on Sunday! If it had been a re-release of Floral Dance however....:p

16. Cornishwomble

Considering that it only takes 20,000 copies of a single to get it into number one now, I reckon if one of the big bands released a CD single that we would all fancy buying we would definately get them on to top of the pops!