100 Greatest Brass Players. Ever!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BreadOfHeaven, Mar 29, 2005.

1. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

It's been a year since 100 Greatest Test Pieces and I've just about recovered from that exercise! Excel is ready to go again so I'd like to see the definitive tmp list of greatest players ever to play in a brass band. As usual all you need to do is send me a PM with your top ten. Number 10 gets one point and Number one gets ten. You MUST PM me though, dont just post them below. Entries close Sunday 1st May and you'll have the list for the Spring Festival Weekend. Cheers and get thinking!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

John Clough - Euphonium
    Jim Shepherd - Cornet

... don't think anyone would disagree!
  3. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

1. Jim Shepherd
    2. Trevor Groom
    3. Gordon Higginbotham
    4. David Daws
    5. Owen Farr
    6. David Childs
    7. Bob Childs
    8. Nick Childs
    9. Sheona White
    10. Derick Kane
  4. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

My top 5 would have to be:

1. Peter Roberts
    2. Steve Mead
    3. Alan Morrison
    4. Roger Webster
    5. Alan Wycherley
  5. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

Once again, please PM your entries just in case i miss any on the thread. Cheers.
  6. gmankb

gmankb New Member

Martyn, I would have thought you'd be studying? Or practising those wonderful chat up lines of yours?

See you tomorrow

G-man x
  7. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

Studying is for the night before. I'm on holiday anyway :D

They dont need practisin my boy ;o)

See you tomorrow, no doubt hear you first.
  8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Any specific criteria - are we talking all brass players including band, orchestral , jazz, big band etc etc etc
  9. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

Tough question this one. Not even sure if I've got the ten best. The actual order could almost be switched between any of these.

1. Dudley Bright - Well he is my big brother but quite simply an amazing symphonic trombonist, currently principal of the LSO, but a brass bander through and through.

2. David Daws - Simply out of this world as a cornet soloist of awesome technique, and beautiful sound and phrasing - re invented cornet playing and his name will fill a concert hall all over the world.

3. Philip Smith - again a symphonic player - New York Phil - but an awesome cornet player as his recordings with brass bands demonstrate.

4. Derick Kane - he's been at it for 30 years - a supreme artist and charismatic performer.

5. Peter Roberts - his Legend CD cements decades of playing at the very highest level - lyrical playing par excellence - one track sums it all up. - 'Memory'

6. Maurice Murphy - Nearly 70, but still at it - Nominated for his work on the Star Wars sound tracks alone.

7. Roger Webster - a truly great cornet player - wonderful ease of playing - always with a sense of life to his playing.

8. Sheona White - representative horn player - has brought horn playing into the mainstream of brass band solo playing.

9. Jim Shepherd - The Godfather - has to be nominated simply for the picture on Black Dyke's 'High Peak' LP - and then on another vinyl, the first great recording of Napoli.

10. David Childs - representing the whole euphonic dynasty. Has taken euphonium playing to new levels of performance and exposure in a relatively short and still blossoming career.

Nominated by Private message to Bread of Heaven
  10. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

10 Philip McCann -
    9. Herbert L Clarke - playing and composing the guy was full of technique and even influences cornet players now
    8.Lyndon Baglin - the best Euphonium player ever
    7.Roger Webster - just think how good a cornet player RW is , he is a brilliant teacher and motivator too.
    6.Christian Lindberg -massive sound , re invented the trombone as a concerto and solo instrument..
    5.James Gourley - Opera , Orchestral , great conductor and teacher gets my vote for his interpretation of the RVW concerto and work with the English Brass Ensemble
    4.James Watson - brilliant cornet player..
    3.Ifor James- genius horn player
    2.Ian Bousfield - from Yorkshire Imps to Vienna via the LSO. Everything he does sounds easy.
    1. Maurice Murphey - brilliant cornetist and magical trumpet player.
  11. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

Says at the top m8. "Excel is ready to go again so I'd like to see the definitive tmp list of greatest players ever to play in a brass band."
  12. Scotty

Scotty Member

Your inbox is full mate, it says it won't send until you clear some space. Good on you for doing this again by the way!!
  13. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

All cleared mate and i got yours. Cheers and its no bother.
  14. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Durrr....sorrry mate...here's mine. As it's difficult to compare different instruments, generations etc etc...so I have picked fantastic players who have had an enormous influence on some of the best players we see now:

1. Maurice Murphy - Legend...enough said
    2. Phillip Smith - New York Phil Trumpeter, Ex NYSB - Beautiful player, bright when he needs to be, but the sweetest sound too
    3. Ian Bousfield - Perhaps the finest trombonist on the planet at the moment?
    4. Shoena White - hearing her with YBS changed my whole view on the middle of the band how it should sound...fantastic player...every note she plays is interesting.
    5. Roger Webster - Been playing at the highest level of banding for years and is still the best principal around in my view. Never met him but gather he is a down-to-earth and likeable chap!
    6. David Daws - Best SA cornet player of all time? Inspiration to thousands of young brass players all over, particularly in the SA. Awesomely consistent and he never looks rattled.
    7. Denis Wick - had a massive impact on the banding world with his mouthpiece range. Mean trom player too...wasn't he principal of the LSO?
    8. Dudley Bright - Principal trom of the LSO....one of my favourite players...stupidly consistent and always gives the impression of having something left.
    9. Masie Wiggins - Female principal of the Halle Orchestra in the 1960's (?)
    10. James Gourlay - I have only been fortunate to hear this man for the first time recently but what a player and when you consider his orchestral playing and band/wind orchestra conductign CV, he has had some impact.

I will no doubt look at this list in a few days and think 'aaarrrghhh...missed someone' but I would probably choose these guys 9 times out of 10. Just all amazing players
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Others to include:-

John Slinger (baritone)

David Moore (euphonium)

Brian Evans (soprano)

Brian Cooling (cornet)

Ian Copland (bass trombone)

oops! adding:- Brian Taylor (cornet)
  16. supersop_1

supersop_1 Account Suspended

No one has mentioned Derek Garside or Brian evans both would come in any top 10 list
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I thought I did! :confused:
  18. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

How insular do you want us to be with this?

Are you looking for players that played PRIMARILY in brass bands, did some banding, or have played with a band once?
    If the first of these, I would suggest that this survey rules out many of the world's greatest ever brass players.
    If the second, it includes many, but still rules out a few.
    If the latter, it opens up a whole new ball game - Brass Band Battle Creek - Jens Lindemann, Allen Vizzutti, Sam Pilafian etc - these guys are some of the greatest living brass players and they play with a brass band, would they count??
    How about someone who has done solo work with a band, but not spent time in the cornet section? I know that Hakan hardenberger has done many solos with band accompaniment - does he count?
  19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Have to say I'm with Mike 100% on this. There is brass playing life outside brass bands, really! :) If you'd set your stall out and called the poll '100 greatest brass BAND players ever, then no complaints, but to call it '100 greatest brass players ever' and then limit the choice to those who've played with brass bands is a bit silly when along with the names Mike mentioned, I could roll off Sergei Nakariakov, Wynton Marsalis, Doc Severinsen, Bill Watrous, Christian Lindberg, Dennis Brain (oops, a French horn player, well hush ma mouth! :)) Andrew Clark (an outstanding exponent of the natural horn in particular) etc. etc. etc.
  20. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Will be interesting to see the results of this. I forsee that the majority of players nominated will be from the last 5-10 years or so, with very few (if any) from the early part of the 20th Century.
    Agree with the previos posterss tho - for my money, there are a lot of great brass players who don't have any association with banding