10 piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellraiser, Jul 26, 2005.

1. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Is there such a thing as an 'official' 10 piece lineup or does it vary?

I'd imagine 4 cornets, Eb horn, Bariton, Euph, Trombone, Eb bass and percussion would do a nice ten piece? Does any of you know of a good resource of 10 piece music, particularly Christmas stuff, for this kind of lineup?
  2. Bones

Bones Member

10 piece can vary.

Orchestral Brass Ten piece a'la London brass would be 4 *Trumpets, (1st covering picc, 2nd and 3rd covering Eb and 4th covering Flugel) 1 * Horn in F, 1 * Tuba, 4 trombones, 2nd or 3rd covering Euph and 4th = Bass Trom).

Brass Band ten piece can vary, but I would recommend the following.
    Sop, 2 cornets, 1 flugel, 1 Horn in Eb, 1 Euph/Bari, 1 Tenor Trom, 1 Bass Trom, 1 Eb Bass, 1 perc.

Ray Woodfield (Christmas Crackers etc) has done loads of his arrangements using the above line up. Try Hallmashire or Kirklees for that type of stuff.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Adrian Drover's 10-piece instrumentation seems to be the standard for brass bands (as far as I am aware). Sop., 2 Bb cornets, flugel, horn, baritone (or horn), tenor trom., bass trom., euphonium, tuba and percussion.

4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The SA in New York publish a series for (minimum) 9-piece - 3 cornets (one doubling the first cornet part), 2 horns, 2 bones, 1 euph, 1 bass (either flavor). They publish two sets (4 -6 pieces a set) twice a year, with the second almost always a Christmas set. There are additional parts provided for additional players (although I wish they wouldn't actually print optional on the baritone part!).
  5. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

This thread is quite helpful. Please continue to list other sources of 10-piece scores and parts.

Who publishes the arrangements for German Brass (by Enrique Crespo, Matthais Höfs, etc.)?

Steve Marcus
    Music Director and Tuba
    Chicago Brass Band Players