10 Piece Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Roger Thorne, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I'm looking to purchase a stash of 10 piece music, suitable for 3rd/2nd Section standard to cover about an hours performace time. Do you folks have any experience of this type of music and if so could you suggest some suitable titles.

2. Big Shiny Brass

Big Shiny Brass New Member

Matt Kingston has a good collection called "10 for 10", which has ten arrangements of classical, traditional and 'fun' music. They vary in difficulty but most of them would be within grasp of a 2nd/3rd section band.

Details are here:
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Adrian Drover has a few 10-piece arrangements here.
  4. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Just Brass (Chester Music)

Three Bass Cats (Chris Hazell)
    Another Cat - Kraken (Chris Hazell)

Although originally for orchestral 10 part, these come with treble and bass clef trom parts I think. Also Eb horn alternative.

There are many other 10 parts in the Just Brass Series (such as A Londoner in New York by Jim Parker) but many of them only have Bass Clef trom and Tuba parts and are only for French Horn.

Also, Boyce Symphony arrangement by Howard Snell - don't know the publisher, but it should be easy to find.

I also like the Just Brass 10 parts of Brandenburg Concerto 3 and The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, but both of these are Bass Clef lower parts and the Queen of Sheba needs a piccolo trumpet (although it could be transposed by an Eb sop).
  5. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

The Queen of Sheba arrangement if done on Sop is a nightmare, hope your sop player likes top Ds!
  6. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I am the sop player! (But I do own a picc as well). There are 4 Gs for the picc in one bar, other than that the highest notes are Es (which equate to top Bs for the sop).

Admittedly the player may have to fudge the top Ds, or maybe they have a sop player who likes a challenge.
  7. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Aye, I once played that with Alan Morrison playing sop.

****** hell, he didn't have nail that bar.
  8. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

There's a good one in our library called Pavane pour un infante defunte (Pavane to a dead princess). Not sure where it's from.
  9. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

If you're not too fussed about the source of your music the Salvation Army Publish a Journal in the UK call Triumph series. Granted most of it is written around a spiritual base. Also as it is written with smaller SA bands in mind it also tries to make sure it is able to cater for groups limited ability as well so it might be a bit simplistic perhaps for your needs. My corps band have used alot of the music in the series for Sundays and also concerts some of the more recent pieces have been excellent written around some more contemporary gospel songs. Such a 'GlorifyYour Name' and 'Worship' have been really good pieces to bring out the bands sound some of the marches. There may well be something in there that suits your needs depending on the kind of engagement you have planned, the series started in thr 1930's and except for the war has had about 12 pieces a year added to it so the back catalogue is vast. Alternatively if you are looking at something more advanced the New York SA music department produced a collection of pieces known as New York Sextet to me, which I think is its official name. Only played one piece out of this series, a March called 'Manhattan'. Although it is written for Sextet it can be played by much larger bands 'Manhattan' sounds great with 25 played, good closing march maybe. I think the Sextet series is written for a minimum of six but with extra optional parts.

Hope you find something somewhere.

Oh while I remember Blow and Believe music may have something a compaoser friend of mine runs the label on the web you may be able to find something there I know he publushes things for ensembles of all sorts of sizes and instrumentation.
  10. WagTheStick

WagTheStick Member

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Out of interest, does anyone know how much of the Versatile Brass portfolio was published as ten-piece?
  12. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

13. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

14. Elliebone

Elliebone Member

Stephen Roberts' arrangements for 10 piece are generally FAB - scored really well.
  15. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

one of my fav arrangements is "The Londonderry Air" written for 5 parts I can play that over and over. A Fav with the listeners to.
  16. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

Think quite a lot of it is published by Hallamshire Music.

For the record, Obrasso publish quite a lot of full band stuff 'slimmed down' for 10 piece (e.g. Alan Fernie's Just a Closer Walk and Singing in the Rain) as well as easier/ junior band versions which work well with smaller bands (e.g. Amarillo, Two Swinging Spirituals).