1 month pause due to vacation

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Jul 24, 2010.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

I just came back home from my summer vacation, and I haven't been playing for a month.

The thing is that when I picked up my cornet and started playing it felt so awkward, I sort of forgot how to form my mouth when placing the mouthpiece on my lips. It feels like the mouthpiece is big and it's not comfortable at all. Oh and I can't play in the high register either, normally I can play in the high register for hours.
    I have a very important audition with Manger Musikklag on tuesday, where I'm gonna play for them and they will decide what seat to put me in.

I need some help on what to do, and what exercises to play until then!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mouthpiece
    tuesday
    important audition
    high register
    Manger Musikklag
  3. foxmdm1

foxmdm1 Member

I dont think there is any quick fix the damage is done . A month is far to long to stop playing

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Really? I remember reading that the members of the Canadian Brass used to deliberately take several weeks off from playing every year; didn't seem to do them any harm ...

Having said that, they probably didn't plan to do an audition a few days after recommencing practice. Time is the only fix after a break from playing. Caruso-style exercises will speed up strengthening the embouchure muscles, but you have to be careful not to overdo it, otherwise you will end up with a strong, inflexible lip.

Oh, and be careful not to get fixated on your lip and forget to ensure you are breathing correctly; it's easily done in these circumstances ...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Although I can't ever remember having a month without playing I certainly go a couple of weeks without playing and often find I come back much better for the rest.
    If you've done it before you'll be able to do it again - don't worry. Ease yourself back in.

6. John_D

John_D Member

I had a break of around 18 years but things soon fell back into place. Don't worry, it will be fine. Just don't overdo the practice and risk any damage to your embourchure

7. xRinat

xRinat Member

Played for a couple minutes today, and it's getting better, starting to get there ;)

8. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Good to hear that...

9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Have a look at this: http://www.markusstockhausen.de/the_basic_caruso.pdf

I've found these exercises very useful when trying to rebuild strength after a break. Make sure you read all the instructions carefully, right to the end, even if, like me you only really use the first two or three exercises regularly.

10. Hovrebo

Hovrebo New Member

I think you'll do great at the audition anyway :))

11. foxmdm1

foxmdm1 Member

What planet are you from ? . If he was serious about the audition he would of practiced .

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mouthpiece
    tuesday
    important audition
    high register
    Manger Musikklag
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Well ...

In the first place it's "would have practised" - "practice" is the noun, "practise" is the verb ... (except in certain parts of the US, which doesn't count, because they don't speak English ... )​

In the second place, it's easy to generalise from a position of ignorance; how can you possibly know the background circumstances to the situation? For example, I well remember a personal instance, where I was asked to play sop on a gig, not an important one, just a summer "Sunday-afternoon-in-the-park" job, but it happened to fall only a few days after I returned from a two-week holiday abroad. I explained the situation, said that it would be better if they could find someone else, but that if they had not managed to find a replacement by the time I returned, I would play, rather than see them stuck. So, off I went; no chance of taking the instrument on the plane, and TBH, I assumed they would find someone else. Naturally, when I returned, there was an answerphone message saying they still needed me to do the job. So I did. Lots of concentrated practice for a few days, plus a restrained approach on the day; got away with it.

OK, so it's not necessarily the same scenario with the OP; who knows whether he had any choice in when, or for how long he went on holiday? In fact, no-one actually knows whether he even knew that the audition was coming up before he went away ... (wouldn't be the first time I've gone away on holiday, then come home to find an answerphone message asking if I can do a gig within a few days of my return, for example ... )

All I'm saying is, step back a bit before you post impulsive reactions that, frankly, make you look stupid. After all, his name isn't Rinat York, is it ... ?

14. foxmdm1

foxmdm1 Member

I dont think it makes me look stupid only you who is defending that he is wondering why his playing is not right after a mouth of no practise .

15. xRinat

xRinat Member

Gareth said it all.

This situation was not planned at all, I got the message unexpectedly, and to be honest I AM taking this serious, but it's hard when things doesn't work out the way I want.

16. foxmdm1

foxmdm1 Member

I dont think it makes me look stupid only you who is defending that he is wondering why his playing is not right after a month of no practise

17. xRinat

xRinat Member

That vacation was important for me, and if you don't understand that, you have nothing to say to me.

18. foxmdm1

foxmdm1 Member

If you were serious about your playing you would of taken a mouthpiece or you instrument with you Wake up

19. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

"would have", not "would of"; Jeez, how many more times ... ?

20. Blagger

Blagger Member

Now Now - "Move away from the Troll" :wink:

21. xRinat

xRinat Member

That is why I am telling you this one more time: the vacation was important for me, that is why I did not take my instrument with me, because I just didn't have time for it.

22. Blagger

Blagger Member

Leave him (or her) mate - he is just on here for a laugh to wind people up
    He'll go away soon enough ;)