‎2012 obaf composition contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by DublinBass, Jan 17, 2012.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The 2012 OBAF Composition Composition prize of $200 will be awarded to the composer producing an original piece not yet performed and not lasting more than 5 minutes. Finalists will be chosen by the OBAF Executive committee and the 2012 OBAF Repertoire Band will read each finalists' work and select the winner through a popular vote. Please send a PDF file of the score along with a MIDI or Mp3 file of the piece to ohiobrassarts@gmail.com. Deadline for entries will Friday, 2 March, 2012. Finalists will be asked to send a PDF of each part so that it may be played by the OBAF Repertoire Band on the evening of March 23, 2012.
    http://centralohiobrass.org/obaf.htm

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    OBAF Composition Composition
    OBAF
    @gmail.com
    OBAF Composition Composition prize
    OBAF Repertoire Band
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Cool! Eight weeks notice this year...

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Will my entry be seriously considered this year ;)

5. DublinBass

All of them are seriously considered!

Just to give some advice. It's obviously important to have some good music, but accessibility is important as well as the final voting comes in after a quick sight read by the festival band.

You two should come out for the week!

6. Laserbeam bass

I hope you are referring to a visit to the states ;)

Might actually write something proper for this one.

7. DublinBass

Yeah...come to the States for the week. We've got the Ohio Brass Arts Festival March 23-24, and then "only" 100 miles away are the North American Championships the next weekend.

8. Will the Sec

OK, I've got the annual leave booked, Pat, when are you sending LBB and me the money for the flights?

9. Laserbeam bass

Can't get the time off, but will offer something!

10. DublinBass

No money for flights gentlemen...only a place to rest your head. BTW...New venue this year, and I think the only USA Brass Band Competition/Festival with an alcohol license for the venue (and yes they will be serving)!

11. DublinBass

Oh...I'm sure somebody will ask (draught and bottled beer...not sure which brands), but the beauty of it is, in the lobby they will also have what's going on stage projected on a 3m by 6m screen (rough size)!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    OBAF Composition Composition
    OBAF
    @gmail.com
    OBAF Composition Composition prize
    OBAF Repertoire Band
  13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Pat, can I just send a Sib 5 file? Saves the bother of creating separate part files in PDF... As I recall, that was fine last year.

14. Laserbeam bass

Have you already been short listed Dave?

15. MoominDave

No, and I bet I won't be either!

16. DublinBass

If you send a sib 5 file, send it to me and I'll convert it for you.

Entries are still open until March 2, 2012, so nobody has been shortlisted yet.

17. MoominDave

Thanks Pat. Could you possibly PM me your email address? I don't think I have it.

18. Will the Sec

That was what Thirteen Ball said last year...

19. DublinBass

The composition contest is now closed. There are quite a few entries for the committee to sort through. We will be studying them this week and narrowing down the field next Saturday. I'll try to post an update around this time next week.

Good luck everybody!

20. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Indeed I did. And oddly, of the two I submitted, it was the more sentimental and over-the-top piece (IMHO) that they chose to shortlist - a Euphonium solo called Epitaph which I'm really happy with but didn't expect anyone else to like at all, it being more of a 'power-ballad' than a vintage euphonium solo. Perhaps that says something about the relative tastes of us brits and our cousins?

Although that said, Rob Cavender made a very nice job of it at a Skelmanthorpe concert a few weeks after it failed to win. Soon to be available from Pennine Music I think so you'll be able to pass judgement yourselves once Gavin puts it on the website.

In all honesty, I'd definitely submit more pieces to this contest, but I can't really write quickly enough. Takes me ages to produce something I'm happy with and I was just lucky that last year I had two new pieces nearly finished that met the criteria....

21. DublinBass

Lots of good compositions entered, pity the list had to be trimmed to 6, but each finalist deserves the time for a good read through.

Here is the list:
    Finalists
    Andrew Baker - And the Winter Moon Rises
    Richard Hue Cole - The Corbels of Kilpeck Church
    Peter M Jones - Inauguration
    Nic Mills - In Memoriam
    Lucy Pankhurst - Mearcair
    MJ Shaw - A Little Minor Turmoil (for Brass Band)

22. Tpascoe

Tpascoe New Member

Congratulations to the finalists.
    Came up short this year, but will look forward to trying again next year.