£1m for a brass band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mode For...., Mar 3, 2010.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Mmmmm! Date of the article is 09/03/10

2. still learnin

still learnin Member

3. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I think the date of the article (9 March) is a bit of a giveaway ;)

4. still learnin

still learnin Member

Thank goodness for your eye for detail, I might not have slept well for a week! Very reassuring.

5. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Remember that TV Reviewers get to see all of a series like this in one go, so they will have seen the last programme when they write their piece.

But I thought that Sue Perkins quotes just about sums it all up:

"They can't argue when they have a cornet or euphonium in their mouths"

and

"More Music, Less Politics"

(did she really chew gum throughout the William Tell Overture with Grimey? I think we should be told!)

Alanl58

6. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Yes. I was quite baffled that she was chewing gum at the rehersal never mind the concert!:eek: It keeps the mouth moist, yes? I'd be too scared of choking.

"They can't argue when they have a cornet or euphonium in their mouths" My mother and I had a little chuckle at that too :biggrin:

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

chewing gum seems to work for pete roberts ;)

8. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

Why do you people have to disect everything? why don't ya treat it as it was intended to be treated,.....as dumbed down entertainment for the masses. Nothing more, nothing less.

By the way, i watched all 3 episodes and enjoyed the lot.

9. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

:woo:woo
    :clap:

10. minutiae

minutiae New Member

Oh yes! - many people in audience commented

11. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Yeh, but at least he does it with his mouth closed! :mad: the sight of someone chomping away between bars with their gob open is not a pleasant one.

12. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Ai....Mr Roberts did it with class....that lady looked like she was chewing a wasp.

13. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Yeh, perhaps if she'd got rid of the gum as well as the bad attitude, she would have stood a better chance of playing William Tell at the speed Sue Perkins (THE CONDUCTOR!!!) wanted!

Mark Howarth.

14. worzel

worzel Member

I thought she did a dam good job, actually. The "attitude" was born purely of nerves, surely. It seemed well within her capabilities to me.

15. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

No question that eventually she did a good job....but...
    Does there need to be an attitude at all? Sat amongst and listened to many players that are under far more stress than that yet don't have that attitude.
    Just an observation :)

16. worzel

worzel Member

Yeah, every other week I'm playing in a revitalised what was a 5 person non-contesting band, practising while being filmed, under the baton of a comedian turned MD who I might not necessarily trust, with two practises to go until gigging with Grimethorpe, again filmed. What was her problem, hey.

17. Jethro

Jethro Member

Ive known Sally for over 30 years. Sally was concerned that the speed in which Grimey played "William Tell" would be far greater than she had played it before. She doesnt suffer with nerves usually, but with the tv cameras and the accolade of playing with Grimey she was I suppose a little aprehensive. I was myself worried playing at the side of Mick Dodds. We went to a run through with Grimey and everything worked out well.
    As far as her chewing gum, she has done this for years and I suppose she will do it while ever she is playing.
    Her attitude is not what was shown on the tele, she has a very funny personality and she is a dedicated musician who wants the best for the band.
    She is by all accounts one of our characters that make the band what it is..

Jethro:p

18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I dunno, that first bit might be true.

19. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

At least you agree it wasn't ideal Jethro ;)

Sadly I am not a fan of the show in general and didn't think it helped us ( the banding community ) as a whole very well at all. Pleased for all at your band as this has given the boost your band needed, and long may it continue.:clap:

20. worzel

worzel Member

Hah, now you mention, yeah.