£1m for a brass band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mode For...., Mar 3, 2010.

1. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

So you booked a hotel in Harrogate, not? Then, if Google tells me to, I suppose I'd better buy a CD :rolleyes: (couldn't find a 'flying pig' smiley)

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Just use an ad blocker.

3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Hi Jethro, it may feel that you are in a bit of a storm here but in fairness what did you expect?
    • Most of the posts have been positive
    • - some negative views expressed about the content of the CD (from brass banders you were always going to get that based on the choice)
    • some good comments regarding the commercial aspects of the choice (clearly vindicated by your chart entry).
    • a nice discussion about left handed tubas and how it looked better on the album cover
    • considerable comment about how your band and the rest of banding was portrayed by the first 2 programmes
    • some comments regarding an incident at Bradford - some people were there and some other not nice things happened too
    As Wherry says it is a brass band discussion forum, its going to be discussed. You appear to be a one man representative of Dinnington apart from one newly registered member who set about 3 established members in their first 5 posts. I can imagine it's difficult not to want to fight your band's corner (didn't Sue suggest that was what you were going to do in the first programme?) 30 years service with the same outfit is to be applauded and if your band comes out the other end of the tv-mincer intact and stronger for it (possibly richer) then well done.

4. The Wherryman

Done, thanks Keith, Why didn't I think of that :oops:

Now, have you got any suggestion on how to block the 'Go Compare' advert on TV?

5. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Just watch BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4 and BBC News channels!

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

2nd proggy now being repeated on BBC2 at this moment.

8. minutiae

minutiae New Member

About a week. Decca used a mobile studio @ the Lyric Theatre Dinnington. A clic track was recorded which was played back to record each section individually, it was then mixed in the studio to give the finished article.

9. Jethro

Jethro Member

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

See the same record company has now awarded a £1million recording deal to Port Issac's Fishermans Friends (I'm sure there's some sort of joke about that ;))

Anyway as there are so many of these record deals around anyone know where I can get a set of Polynsian nose flutes - be a heck of a video though :biggrin:

11. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

You make the assumption that they use the model constitution - my band is also a charity and doesn't use it for one simple reason - our constitution is based on the trust deed which established the band as a charity years before the commission had even thought of a model constitution. As Dinnington have been around a while, I would suspect they are in the a similar position.
    I don't also suppose we saw the full story around the sacking (which the above quote was about - I chose only to review the complete thread after watching the final installment) - it took but a few minutes out of a one hour show.

12. worzel

worzel Member

Well that last episode was brilliant, wasn't it. I don't care how formulaic and edited to the narrative it was, it was very uplifting, especially the Grand finale with Grimethorpe at the end. Well done Dinnington.

13. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Yep but this is from the newspaper they have to GIVE away, the most shoddily put together pile of wanna-be toilet roll on the planet.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I don't know about anybody else's views on this, but I thought the series had the makings of a good soap opera format. We have the characters, the storyline & the chance to introduce other banding themes into the production format.

16. JAlexK

JAlexK New Member

For some it will be. I guess that for some the reviews comment that "A bunch of people playing trumpets just isn’t exciting" about sums up the attitude. One could just as easily dismiss a documentary about the LSO as "posh folks playing strings" if music has no interest to you.

However, many people think that music is a fantastic thing, and hopefully this programme will have reminded/introduced them just how great a brass band can sound.
    If just 1% of the audience are inspired to go and see and band this summer, or just 0.01% pick up an instrument not played for 10 years, and some of them turn up at bandrooms throughout the country then we'll all have somthing to smile about.

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

From the same stable as the Daily Mail. See http://www.associatednewspapers.com/

The motto of the stable: "If you're not miserable, small-minded and scared, then you don't trust us enough". Probably would look quite impressive in Latin.

18. The Wherryman

I refer you to Section 8 of that model constitution. It is based on the rules of natural justice. If a band is an unincorporated association (regardless of whether or not it is a charity) and their constitution hasn't got something very similar in it, I suggest it might be a good idea to review it. Could just save problems, should it be necessary to dismiss anyone.

19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

"A bunch of people blowing trumpets is just not that interesting."

Someone tell me which part of that sentence to correct first. I don't know where to start....

20. JAlexK

JAlexK New Member