£1m for a brass band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mode For...., Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mode For....

Mode For.... Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pleasantly
    grim oop north
    raft
    brass band
    type cliches
  3. still learnin

still learnin Member

There was also a recent item on the South East news re Betteshanger Colliery Band in Kent. All positive stuff!

Where's Paddy Flower? What odds would you give against someone finding something negative to say, on this thread, either about Dinnington Colliery Band or the article?

4. carbon selector

carbon selector New Member

From the article:
    Compare that with the recent Times Article, which seems more accurate:

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Funny, I thought that that was Grimethorpe...

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Sounds like a challenge :D

At this point should I clarify that this doesn't mean that the Band have been given £1m? ;)

Hope whatever happens goes well for them!

7. Valvespring

Valvespring New Member

I ask this question - Why is this "Band for Britain" needing to recruit so many players when there are several bands in the locallity doing very thank you well with all the ex players which this band couldn't retain ( I wonder why?),and who wouldn't go back under any circumstances, despite various attempt at coercion by the production company?
    Not particularly negative just interesting.

8. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

And the winner is.......

9. Esscee

Esscee New Member

I play for Maltby, who are a local rival to Dinnington. But if this raises the profile of the brass band movement as a whole, I'm all for it.

10. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

I for one, do not need to wonder!

11. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I'm sorry but I watched the Amazon trailer for this CD yesterday! Move forward? we'll be lucky if this doesn't set us back another 30 years or so!

The Track listing! Jerlusalem, Floral Dance, Largo (or the Hovis theme for the young un's!) and so it goes on! A splash of the modern, Prirates of the Carribean & Born Free, although Born Free's only modern if you queue up every Wednesday at the post office!

The Advert - Brass Band featured walked up a cobbled hill, surrounded by stone cottages!

It's not Modern, it's not moving us forward. I really hope the TV series is better thought out than the first CD realise if not we're destined for another 20 years of people assuming all we can do is play hymns and marches. . .

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pleasantly
    grim oop north
    raft
    brass band
    type cliches
  13. still learnin

still learnin Member

10 posts and only 3 vitriolic or negative so far but....... it'll gather pace!! Well done Esscee, no malice, jealousy or put downs, just a thumbs up. Could this be the way forward? No, I didn't think so. :(

Perhaps we need a new thread to harness the combined creative forces of contributors to tMP. Questions to be answered -
    • What message should the ideal article, features or documentary on brass bands convey?
    • What should the musical content be (if on radio, TV or other media)?
    • What should the featured band wear for performances (and walking out!!!)?
    • What would make it most attractive to non banders?
    • What compromises should be made (against the ideal) to make it commercially viable for the producer or to stimulate attention from the public?
    Your time starts now......

14. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

Great to be part of a "Band for Britain" with Dinnington in mass bands at Sheffield City Hall, great set of people....

On the Brass Bands in the media point, Grimethorpe will be appearing again on the Alan Titchmarsh show, Wednesday 10th March....

15. Jethro

Jethro Member

I think you answered this in your own question, (we needed to recruit because we didnt have players) Derrrr!!!

16. Jethro

Jethro Member

Thanks for that Mark and it was a honour and a pleasure to have played with Grimey.
    Hope to see ya Sunday for a slurp (providing we can get through the daggers etc,,lol)

17. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

You appear to have forgotten one

• What agenda do you wish to promulgate (or axe to grind, if you prefer)
    You have made no particular comment on the original post, other than to try to stir up some sort of controversy. Are you forgetting that this is a discussion forum and people will have differing views about any topic you care to mention?

Before the initial posting about the Dinnington project was made on tMP some time ago, I had never heard of them. Clearly, other tMP members know the band better, and some, apparently, wish they didn't. More information on that point might be interesting for those who enjoy watching dirty linen being washed in public, but I'm not much bothered.

What has happened at Dinnington isn't particulary revolutionary. Go back to the '60s and you'll see The Monkees started out as a 'cobbled together' group and had some measure of success, before fading into obscurity.

This is all very reality TV, a la Big Brother, X-Factor etc and good luck to Dinnington if it puts them on a solid footing for their future. I said 'their future' very deliberately, because I can't see it having much effect on brass bands as a whole.

But then, perhaps I am just too parochial in my outlook. I don't have a mission to make brass bands headline news week after week. For me, banding is a fun, sociable hobby and I thoroughly enjoy making other people happy when they come to listen to our music. My efforts are aimed at trying to ensure that my band has sufficient players and funds to continue year after year.

I hope, when all the hype has died down and the production team that has created it in it's present format moves on to it's next project, that Dinnington is left with something it can call a band. Unless the management committee put right whatever it was that caused it's virtual demise in the first place, I think perhaps not. Time will tell.

18. brassking

brassking New Member

The reason bands are playing this music is because it is easy listening and everyone and anyone can enjoy this music muscians or not!!! it does not take the movement back 30 years these pieces are apart of brass band history and you should respect them!
    Do you think people would want to watch the programme if a band was playing contempary music for a full hour?!

19. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

Ahhh - just as I thought - what a shame.

20. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

Of course not - but how can we ever expect to be taken seriously by 'outsiders' when this is the image we insist on putting across?

21. KMJ Recordings

The programme will have been designed to sell enough units to offset as much of the the investment as possible.

22. KMJ Recordings

I suspect that production decisions were made by people with the cheque book rather than the Band and it's associates ;)

So it's not really a case of 'us' putting anything across.